Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » One Thing Digital will never Acomplish ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: One Thing Digital will never Acomplish ?
Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2015 10:17 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DOING THIS! [Eek!] [thumbsup]

-

|  IP: Logged

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2015 10:49 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh, the good ol' days.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-15-2015 11:16 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Safety ring...or a projectionist on duty.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2015 11:59 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Booth Monster strikes again.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-16-2015 03:16 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well... I once had to untangle a similar mess, because the manager, quite a pussy, was afraid about the consequences dealing with the distributor... We cut and spliced it to roughly equal lengths and put it back in the cans. As far as I know, we never heard anything about it. I guess most prints that came back went directly to the shredder anyway, back then.

Luckily, it happened at the end of the run. Needless to say, we never ran it again. [Wink]

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2015 12:22 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How recent is that picture?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-17-2015 11:19 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're confronted with that situation, the key to recovering from it is:

1. Don't panic.
2. Look for the end of the film. Just look. Do not touch the film pile.
3. When you've located the end, lift it off and start winding around a core. The film will come up the way it went down - gravity. If you left the pile alone and didn't rummage around in it, the film shouldn't have tangled.

That was the advice I was given after one memorable afternoon in the mid-90s. The manager's seven year-old child was in the building, and during the morning children's show he decided that messing around in the booth was more fun than watching the movie. So he detached the film from the take-up tensioner arm (ST200), watched it feed out of the bottom of the projector and onto the floor for a few minutes, got bored and went off downstairs. The projectionist was trying to fix a problem with the box office PC at the time, and she didn't return to the booth until the movie was nearly over, and almost an entire print of Mousehunt was on the floor. She called me, and when I came in I called a friend who had much more experience with platters than I did, who gave me the above advice. It worked - we got the film off onto cores and re-plattered it, after which there was hardly any dirt or scratching on it. You wouldn't have known that it had been on the floor, looking very much like the scene in Steve's picture. The fact that we mopped that floor at the end of every shift undoubtedly helped as well, and that experience is one of the reasons I don't like carpeted projection booths.

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2015 11:46 AM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had towers at my cinema, but that picture brings back a very nasty day I had when the booth was over 100degs. ahh happy days

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-17-2015 01:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to get this a lot except underneath the projectors instead of the platter. The reason was because we had Christie platters and they would not engage on takeup. The failsafes would drop and the CA-21 automations pretty much just ignored the failsafes. The good news is that these events resulted in lots of new firmware being written for the CA-21, new products from Christie for us to try out to solve the takeup problem, etc etc. That's when I really started learning a lot about the technical end of things.

A lot of what y'all are seeing now with Film-Tech's FT-21 automations had their genesis as a result of that film being on the floor as we didn't just suggest fixes for only the failsafes and call it a day.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-17-2015 03:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing Digital will never accomplish: 'scope done right.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-17-2015 04:50 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had one that bad. But I have had the pile of film under the projector when the take-up platter didn't engage and the fail-safe failed.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-17-2015 06:17 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Another thing Digital will never accomplish: 'scope done right.
It could, though. That is if it were shot and projected with anamorphic lenses. The probability of that happening though are probably between zero and none.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2015 07:28 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a movie do that- the film got caught in the failsafe and the lower reel arm roller and kept the failsafe engaged while film splooged out of the bottom of the projector. At least half the movie was on the floor. I got it wound back up with no cuts, splices, or creases, but some dirt which I filmguarded off, without ever stopping the movie. That was a crappy afternoon.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-18-2015 01:41 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It could, though. That is if it were shot and projected with anamorphic lenses. The probability of that happening though are probably between zero and none.
That's a big reason why it doesn't bother me at all to wait to see most movies on Blu-ray. Those 'scope movies are probably going to look better in some regards letterboxed on my 65" HDTV screen than they do in the theater -particularly when we're talking about a properly focused image.

To do 'scope correctly in d-cinema the movies themselves wouldn't necessarily need to be shot anamorphic (although plenty are with the Arri Alexa). However they would need to have enough native resolution captured in camera to be treated correctly in post production.

In post production 'scope movies would have to be rendered at 1080 and 2160 heights for 2K and 4K rather than the cropped down 858 and 1716 levels we currently have for 2K and 4K. When generating the DCP the 'scope image would be anamorphically squeezed to fit the 2048 and 4096 widths for 2K and 4K. Obviously the higher pixel counts would result in some longer render times, but I think the penalty for that would be offset by a much better looking image. Ultimately, it would be a slight change in work-flow process, but nothing too complicated to handle.

It's the same principal as anamorphic vs. non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs. The quality differences with those things were huge. An old 16x9 enhanced DVD still looks watchable on my new TV set. I can't stomach watching a non-anamorphic letter-boxed DVD like True Lies on my TV set. It's just visual torture.

The big problem is with projection, what philosophy to choose. It's very simple in principal to pair a 1.25x anamophic decompression setup with a 2048 X 1080 or 4096 X 2160 imaging chip. The problem is what to do with the "flat" movies. Do you show them spherically through a second lens on a motorized turret (like everyone did with film) or do you apply the same 1.25x anamorphic squeeze to them so every movie can be projected through the same lens?

The single, anamorphic only approach would probably work if current trends with 'scope still keep going strong. It seems like a rare phenomenon for a movie to be released in one of the flat formats.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2015 02:01 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing digital will never accomplish: a digital projector still in use more than 50 years.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: