Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » TALKING PICTURE PROJECTION (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: TALKING PICTURE PROJECTION
Bob Foreman
Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2015 07:55 AM      Profile for Bob Foreman         Edit/Delete Post 
Within the context of the Atlanta Fox Theatre in 1929.

http://backstagefox1929.blogspot.com/2014/03/part-iii-talking-picture-projection.html

-

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2015 08:47 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice web site.

The picture of the Vitaphone disk storage cabinet is from the booth in the Landmark Loews Jersey in Jersey City, NJ. The cabinet is still there, along with a complete Simplex Standard with Vitaphone platter.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2015 11:57 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EXCELLENT! [thumbsup]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-11-2015 01:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movies Talk? When did that happen....?

Apparently Mr. Kelly didn't forsee Grandeur, Magnascope or Todd-AO... but what the hey. $75,000.00 in those days? 70 K went to Western Electric and the rest went into projectors and lamps. Western Electric stuff was extremely expensive in those days... Makes the cost of Digital look pale by comparison.

75K in 1930 equals $1,016,202.03 in 2014 dollars.

Mark

Robert Koch
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2015 04:00 PM      Profile for Robert Koch   Email Robert Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy; I loved this. Especially all the ERPI stuff. Hall&COnnely High intensity lamps. I`d forgotten what they looked like, and the spare contact assembly which you cleaned and made ready for the next day.Those were the days. I sure thank those responsible for this. Terrific!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-11-2015 05:15 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Apparently Mr. Kelly didn't forsee Grandeur, Magnascope or Todd-AO... but what the hey. $75,000.00 in those days? 70 K went to Western Electric and the rest went into projectors and lamps. Western Electric stuff was extremely expensive in those days... Makes the cost of Digital look pale by comparison.
But it shows that the same thing was happening with the conversion to sound as is happening with the conversion to digital, basically: the technology vendors are recouping their R & D investment by charging huge mark-ups on the hardware.

To be fair, the equipment in that booth would probably have been good for the next 20-25 years. Grandeur and Magnascope were very short lived. There may have been minor upgrades to the audio needed to accommodate push-pull and RCA duplex optical tracks, but basically they were all set until widescreen.

In relation to the Vitaphone stuff, I've often thought that it would be fun actually to try to recreate a sound-on-disc show, but it would be pretty difficult and expensive. You'd need to master new discs, which would either mean making new lacquer-master-stamper-playback discs from preservation masters of the audio, or accepting slight inauthenticity and using direct-cut acetates (though would an acetate withstand the very high tracking force of an authentic Vitaphone turntable and arm?). You'd also need a print of the movie with the reel lengths in the original release configuration to match the discs, which most prints deriving from archival restorations aren't.

Still, if any pair of projectors with turntables and preamps in working condition survives anywhere, it would still be fun to do. And it would be interesting, to check out the frequently made claims in the late '20s that sound-on-disc offered clearly superior playback sound quality, so much so that as a playback-in-the-theater system, it survived well into the mid-30s.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-11-2015 07:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly Leo,

But they did not recoup their costs except though ticket and concession sales and they had expensive ongoing fees with Western Electric until the Government broke that monopoly up. Sound was comparative way more expensive than digital to install. Norm Schneider's dad was a Western Electric technician back in those days and I remember him telling me it was a about hundred grand back then to outfit a 2500 seat house.

Mark

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-12-2015 08:58 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Sound was comparative way more expensive than digital to install.
Per auditorium, yes. But in 1929, your average suburban theater consisted of a single auditorium containing anywhere between 500 and 3,000 seats. Today, it's a 12-plex with between 150-300 seats in each house.

So if an individual theater location cost around a million (in today's money, adjusted for inflation) to equip for sound in the late 20s/early 30s, I'm guessing that's around the same as the cost for a comparable location for convert from 35mm to digital in the late 00/early teens.

Furthermore, the 1929 theater would almost instantly start to make significant operational savings, because it would no longer need the services of several musicians.

A detailed comparison study of the economics of the two conversions would make for a very interesting read (for me, at any rate!).

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2015 01:29 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
I've often thought that it would be fun actually to try to recreate a sound-on-disc show
In the early days of the Landmark Loews Jersey, long before I was involved, they actually did so in co-operation with The Vitaphone Project using original vintage disks. I believe it is the only time that the front shuttered Simplex Standard ever ran in modern times. The projector is still there although not currently connected.

-

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2015 10:14 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2015 05:45 AM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thoroughly enjoyed every inch of this posting.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-14-2015 11:35 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note the concrete slab on which the projector chassis sits in Steve's pic - I'm guessing to absorb vibration and prevent the tonearm from jumping, causing loss of sync. The slabs must have added a ton or two to the floor loading requirement of the booth. If that was normal for SOD installations, no wonder it was a short-lived technology.

Mitchell - even with only one projector and turntable, I guess you could still put on a program of Vitaphone musical shorts. You'd have to be quick on the rethreading and recueing not to make the audience bored, though!

If it were me I'd be cagey about playing original, surviving release discs, because of their soft shellac/filler compound and the huge tracking forces of those arms (hence the reason the discs were only designed to withstand 20 playings before serious groove wear degraded the audio). Even if the content has already been digitized, there is always the possibility that better remastering could be done in the future, which you're giving up if you damage or destroy the disc in the meantime. I suppose if dozens of copies of a given side survive, there wouldn't be much risk in using the worst one, though.

For real authenticity, we'd have to wear three-piece suits while working the booth, too! And smoke, probably...

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2015 12:09 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting that very good article/website.

I'm confused over one of the inserted pictures, I think the 4th from the top, which has the red box that says "vitaphone will thrill the world." The date says August 1926 and admission is 10 dollars. Was this a public event, as that must have been a fortune back then!!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-14-2015 12:29 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$133.75 in today's money, according to this. I'm guessing that's about what you would pay for the best seats in a West End or Broadway show today.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2015 02:11 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No smoking in the booth back then. Flammable nitrate film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: