Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby CP500 Password (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Dolby CP500 Password
Tom Ostertag
Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2014 12:07 AM      Profile for Tom Ostertag   Email Tom Ostertag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all.

I know that historically the password retrieval/reset procedure for the CP500 has been kept a secret amongst techs, but considering what I assume to be an increasing scarcity of such processors in professional use, I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I'm not a commercial theater, but a hobbyist/audio/video engineer wishing to put a recently acquired CP500 to use in my home 35mm system.

If opposed to posting the information publicly (which I understand), a PM would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Edgar Prass
Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2014 04:15 AM      Profile for Edgar Prass   Email Edgar Prass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Copy of a mail I got from Dolby technical support some time ago:
This is an unsupported product now.

<removed - do not post passwords or back doors on a public forum>

[ 12-02-2014, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

Fredrik Sandstrom
Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2014 07:20 AM      Profile for Fredrik Sandstrom   Email Fredrik Sandstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, the first time I encountered a CP500 I simply guessed the password, and got it right on the first try (1234).

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 12-02-2014 08:49 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure everybody appreciates the somewhat hidden password recovery procedure being out here [Wink] .

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-02-2014 08:56 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe but I interpret the phrase, "This is an unsupported product," to mean, "Okay but if you fuck up your equipment don't come crying to us."

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-02-2014 10:19 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby quit supporting CP500 a long time ago and BACP took it up best we can. Password is is often not set so is 0000 or 1000 from the factory.

If the answer is still needed PM me and I'll have an answer in a day or 2 when I can get to my 500 test stand.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-02-2014 12:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is also a way to reset the password to default by pressing the right combination of front panel buttons for the correct duration. I think you need seven fingers on three hands to do it though. Then you can re-enter your own password.

Mark

Tom Ostertag
Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2014 11:23 PM      Profile for Tom Ostertag   Email Tom Ostertag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fortunately I saw Edgar's instructions before they were removed. That did the trick, and now I can dig into my CP500.

I understand the need to hide such a trick from the general film-handling public, so I respect Brad's decision to remove it. Coming from an IT background, I know what kind of trouble well-intentioned users can cause if they're given too much access.

Thanks for the help Edgar, and to Sam for offering to look into this for me. This saved me lots of time for sure!

Serge Bosschaerts
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2015 02:31 PM      Profile for Serge Bosschaerts   Author's Homepage   Email Serge Bosschaerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody,
I've just bought a spare CP500 on Ebay and ... yep, it has a password installed.
Could somebody send me a PM or email how to get this password out ?
Thanks,
Serge

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 06-25-2015 04:16 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well... it's out there [Wink]

You could always try the default password (check the manual), but I guess you already tried it.

While I agree with Brad that it's not done posting "backdoors" on public forums for current equipment, the CP-500 manual is also archived in the warehouse. Maybe the listing of those kind of procedures could be somewhat relaxed for this kind of equipment that has long since been abandoned by the manufacturer?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 06-25-2015 08:59 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm the last one supporting the 500 in a limited fashion mostly for Regal.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-25-2015 09:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these things getting that rare? It may not be Dolby's finest achievement, but there are still a fair number of CP500s (and CP65s) in use in this area.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-25-2015 09:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The code to decrypt the password is actually very similar to unlocking the built-in games on a CP500.

Serge Bosschaerts
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2015 01:41 AM      Profile for Serge Bosschaerts   Author's Homepage   Email Serge Bosschaerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found the answer ... thanks.
Secondary question : this unit has 2500 hours on it according to the event log and has the 1.61EX soft version on it.
It will not be used with an SA10, and not using SRD, so I was wondering upgrade to 1.65 or not ?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-26-2015 06:22 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Move to 1.65 NOW!!!! 1.61 is bad...it will go corrupt and dump your settings sooner or later. If no EX, then use standard 1.65. The only difference on the 1.65EX is that it bypasses the surround EQ since the EX box handles that. I think it also starts you at the right level to feed the SA-TEN.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: