Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Interstellar and fader 7 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Interstellar and fader 7
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2014 02:40 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So i get the projectionist letter asking that Interstellar be run at fader 7.

We normally run around 4.5-5.0 depending on film.

Out of curiosity, I ran the first 20 and last 40 minutes of Intersellar at fader 7. Holy moly, it was overwhelming. I understand what they're trying to do (sensory overload), but I couldn't imagine sitting through two hours and forty minutes of this. You'd feel as though you just came from a heavy metal rock concert.

Running at a 6 is bearable, but if I go much lower some of the dialog gets lost.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2014 02:58 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mean, heavy metal rock concerts do turn me on. [sex] [Big Grin]

No, but seriously. It's no different than any other letter accompanying a film asking the same thing. In an ideal room (and probably one with a full audience), it would sound good with the fader at 7. But in rooms with poor acoustics and/or poor tuning, there's just no way. It's common at many theaters to run most films around 5-6, and this is no exceptionk.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-07-2014 03:22 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wrong thread please ignore

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2014 03:25 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A properly equipped and calibrated theater should be able to run the movie at fader level 7 with no problems. My guess is that the theater is set up wrong if you are running film at 4.0 or 5.0

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-07-2014 03:40 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry very few theatres would run at 7 if they did the average patron would complain that it was far to loud
If you ever were in a mixing theatre you would find the level uncomfortable

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-07-2014 04:44 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who has had to run world premiers at 7.0 (and any other studio screening) where the rooms where set up, not only properly, but to the studio's liking...they are WAY TOO Effin loud! I swear those guys have to be partially deaf by listing to such loud sounds all day long. I've had people bang on the booth door to turn it down while the studio guy insisted on leaving it where it was and though it sounded awesome.

There is no doubt that, with lower THD, one can definitely run things louder with less ear strain. Distortion can be quite grating, if not painful. So there is definite truth in the statement of a well set up room (good acoustics with good speakers) will be able to play louder with less discomfort than one that is lesser. However, loud is loud and these guys like it too loud, in my opinion. An exception is Larry Blake...I can run his films at 7.0 in most theatres without complaint (he mixed Oceans 11, as well as the others and many other). He doesn't get the dialog lost in the mix either.

What I'm hearing from my people on Interstellar is that you can run your fader at its normal volume to get the dialog...but the effects will just be painfully nasty. Nothing like having people wanting it to end to appreciate your masterpiece.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-07-2014 05:54 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always ignore those requests to run a movie at a particular fader setting.

quote: Terry Lynn-Stevens
A properly equipped and calibrated theater should be able to run the movie at fader level 7 with no problems. My guess is that the theater is set up wrong if you are running film at 4.0 or 5.0
I used to drink that Kool-Aid about properly setup theatres should be able to play everything at 7.0 but that is bullshit because the movies are mixed to different peoples' tastes -- and some of them are stupid people.

So, as with setting up a sound system, you've got to use your ears (and some common sense). Here's a thought: Why not simply test the damn movie?

During testing, I start at 3.9 just in case it's stupid loud. If it sounds "dim" (like it should) then I'll try 7.0 and wait for "normal" dialogue. That is, no whispering or shouting. Along the way, I'm also listening to music and SFX. The judgment call is usually based on dialogue but, sometimes, M&E force a compromise.

For DCP's, I will sample several moments throughout the movie.

For film, I will jump back-n-forth between 2 reels.

I do not "ride the gain" throughout the movie. If it gets too loud, and we have to turn it down, then it stays there, and I update the inspection report to reflect the final fader setting. My job is not to remix the movie for the filmmaker.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-07-2014 06:15 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
The judgment call is usually based on dialogue but, sometimes, M&E force a compromise.
That's exactly what I do here.

Our system sounds just fine at 7 and it really rattles the rooftop, but I just don't like it that loud. It's nothing to do with sound quality -- it's just louder than I (and most normal people) like. We play most movies somewhere between 4.8 and 5.5.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2014 07:05 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most theatres I've worked at, the fader is usually set around, 5.5 - 6, for most features.

There are maybe 2 theatres I've heard that with a fader setting of 7 was perfectly fine and one of those was Seattle Cinerama.

Jason Whyte
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2014 10:27 PM      Profile for Jason Whyte   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Whyte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Capitol 6 #2 in Victoria BC could handle being set at 7 and like Ron said, Seattle Cinerama usually always runs at 7 as well. Both have outstanding sound quality.

For the most part features are run at 5.5-6 in Victoria and that's pretty loud enough.

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2014 09:30 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For once we didn't get a letter, here in the UK. I was playing at 5.5 then 5. Then around the last hour reduced to 4.5 on my CP750. The dialogue was still clear enough but the LF frequencies were shaking things in our concessions stand! It certainly has some energy, in the mix!

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-08-2014 01:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh...and let me add another tidbit to the mix...as it were. 7.0 is not 7.0 everywhere...even if calibrated by the same equipment! Starting with the CP650, Dolby changed their reference level with the PN source. If you compare a CP500 or earlier and the CP650 or later processor...all else being equal...the CP650/CP750 will be about 3dB louder! So which level is correct? Did USL, QSC or your favorite brand of processor also have such shenanigans? Heck, QSC and Sony don't even have a 7.0...unless you count -7.0dB or +7.0dB.

And what difference does it make in the actual number anyway? As a business, you HAVE to set it such that you receive the least number of complaints. That is just good customer service. So unless you are doing a studio screening...where your customer IS the studio, it really doesn't matter.

The only downside to your magic number being in the "4.0" range is that is typically a "hinge point" for a digital fader and the characteristics, as it tries to mimic an analog potentiometer will get much more active below 4.0 than above. So a little adjustment will have a greater effect. With an analog potentiometer...the "sweetspot" of the fader is around 70% (or 7.0). That is point where small adjustments have small effects as well as allowing 6-10dB more "gain" at the top end for quiet movies. Back when 7.0 was created as the reference, we had discrete VCAs (voltage controlled amplifiers) and as you went down below 7.0...their tracking was NOT uniform. Down around 4.0 you are starting to move things by 10dB (or more) with small changes. You have a logarithmic system (sound) with a linear appearing volume control.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-08-2014 05:58 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A projectionist letter advising you to turn the fader to "7" is just a sign of plain incompetence from whoever composed that letter. I really don't know why they're still doing this. Why can't they just write something like: This movie contains some scenes with very powerful sound effects, please make sure you deliver them to your audience with maximum impact without compromising the overall sound quality. As Steve already eloquently put it, "7.0" here is different from "7.0" over here.

And for many theaters out there, the "7.0" is more an indication on the Richter scale of the earthquake it will create if you really want to run it at such levels...

If you ask me, whoever created this mix was also incompetent. If you do not want to mess around with your presets, you either end up with muffled dialogue or with sound effects that blow your speakers and your patrons eardrums.

Steve Guttag

- posted 11-08-2014 06:04 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would appear that Interstellar is a movie that requires a Rane PI-14. It clearly needs a little this or that to it.

http://www.rane.com/pi14.html

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 11-08-2014 06:36 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happens if you switch on the Glory but forget to enable the Power?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: