Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xetron XCN Console Question

Author Topic: Xetron XCN Console Question
Casey Rogers
Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2014 06:15 PM      Profile for Casey Rogers   Email Casey Rogers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone.

I have to say this site is great. This is my first time posting as I'm hoping for a little guidance. I'm considering purchasing a Xetron XCN console with a Century head. Can anyone confirm if an XCN will work with 220V single-phase or if it requires 220V three-phase?

Thanks in advance!

|  IP: Logged

Matthew Ortado
Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2014 06:38 PM      Profile for Matthew Ortado   Email Matthew Ortado   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three phase.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2014 07:34 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you purchasing it local to you? Just curious

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-01-2014 01:29 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might be 208V being three phase.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-01-2014 09:58 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing 3 phase is the rectifier (and not all of them are 3 phase, just 99%)

Casey Rogers
Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2014 11:55 AM      Profile for Casey Rogers   Email Casey Rogers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all who have responded. Louis - If 99% are 3 phase is there an easy way to tell whether or not I'm looking at a single or 3 phase rectifier?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-05-2014 01:52 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the input taps of the rectifier:

Two leads,(or tap connectors) going in are single phase 220v, but three leads going in are three phase 208V.

Strong bet that you need three phase.

Look on the name plate on front of the console below the projector and this will show what phase and voltage is needed to operate this unit.

Casey Rogers
Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2014 03:22 PM      Profile for Casey Rogers   Email Casey Rogers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your help. The below is a dead giveaway. Looks to be single phase.

-

Casey Rogers
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2014 10:09 AM      Profile for Casey Rogers   Email Casey Rogers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to keep this thread alive. I removed some of the panels to take a look at the connections and now I'm really confused about whether this is 1 or 3 phase. The plate on the front of the projector says 1 phase but below is a pic of the plate on top of the rectifier which says 3 phase.

-

The following are a few pics of the electrical connections inside of the unit. Hoping someone who has some knowledge of these units and electrical connections can tell me if its 1 or 3 phase from looking at these images.

-

-

-

-

If this is in fact 3 phase would a phase converter like this work?

Thanks in advance!

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2014 02:14 PM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will require both 1 phase and 3 phase. The projector and console both run off of 1 phase and the rectifier is the only thing that runs off of 3 phase.

As far as phase converters go, you need to make sure the phase converter can handle a larger load than needed for the 3 phase as phase converters are some what inefficient. Another option is to switch out the current rectifier in your machine with a strong switcher power supply as then ones that power 2k bulbs run off of 1 phase.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-18-2014 03:29 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Matthew says.

If you don't have 3 phase handy the only real option is to remove the existing rectifier, which is the only item that is 3 phase, with a 220 Volt single phase rectifier. North America is swimming in Strong switching rectifiers. There will be some rewiring and you need to befriend a local cinema tech who knows what is required.

No offense, but you are clearly in over your head here.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: