Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kinoton FP-30D Projector PRICING..... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kinoton FP-30D Projector PRICING.....
Dan Edwards
Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2014 01:20 AM      Profile for Dan Edwards   Email Dan Edwards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I am new here. I have come into a pair of FP-30D's - from a well known owner. Both are work as they should. Anyone know where to price these?

I will get far more details once I pick them up, but they are large, with that stands - so at 290lbs each, not light.

Anything direction is appreciated.

Dan

|  IP: Logged

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-22-2014 08:53 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you want to know? The price when they were new or their current value?

I honestly doubt you'd be getting more than $2000 for a well-maintained, complete set nowadays.

Dan Edwards
Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2014 09:02 AM      Profile for Dan Edwards   Email Dan Edwards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Marcel -

Indeed, what folks are paying for these now. I will be picking these up in Hollywood (yes, I know that sounds funny - but indeed it is true) and was told by SilverScreen Theater that they 'should be worth $10,000'.

If they could be moved for $4,000 or $5,000 for the pair, I'd be happy. Each comes with this massive box, some power adapter/converter which allows 110/120/240? I can't recall what exactly it was, but was told those are highly desirable. We shall see if they really are!

I am an audio guy - but ended up with some 16mm projectors, 35mm projectors, rewind reels, and other pieces that were all owned by individuals. These individuals would high a company or person to come to run these projectors for the showings. Usually these are actor/actresses that own these.

I haven't a use for them and want them gone.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-22-2014 10:12 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the recent round of Hollywood lab auctions, machines like these went for between $500 and $2k ish a piece.

As a completely rough guess, I'd say that Marcel's guess of $4-5k for the pair is ambitious, but not totally hitting it out of the park if you're prepared to be patient and do a little work looking for a venue that really wants them.

The thing about these projectors is that they are very specialized pieces of hardware. To 99% of the population they are junk, but an arthouse venue that already has a pair and is making plans to continue showing film into the medium term future would jump at the chance to buy them, especially as Kinoton is no more and therefore spares availability is only going to become more difficult from here on in. The home of an actor or actress is a very unlikely destination for them: apart from a very small number of celeb movie types who have jumped on the "film is cool" bandwagon, their homes will all be showing DCPs and BDs now. Even the Bel Air Circuit has recently acquired the adjective "digital" in its title!

My instinct is that if you want to be rid of them quickly, you're unlikely to get more than a few hundred. But if you're prepared to play a waiting game and do some work to find the ideal customer, you could make significantly more.

Dan Edwards
Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2014 11:15 AM      Profile for Dan Edwards   Email Dan Edwards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo -

These have not come from any auction, in fact, if you are in Hollywood or close by, you likely know there machines. They are fairly well known in the area.

If they would not even fetch $4,500 for the pair - I will let them go to the recycle bin. They are large, heavy, delicate and frankly, not worth the floor space.

Thanks for your input - $200 per unit is garbage time.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2014 12:52 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find it impossible to believe that at this point you will ever get more than $1500 to $2000 for the pair, if you are very lucky.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-22-2014 01:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are space-constrained, it might be worth salvaging some of the parts. The reel shafts, gates and traps, lens holder assemblies, lamphouse reflectors, motors, and ceramic guide rollers in the trap are all items that theatres will need in the future. The electronics inside the projector are probably worth saving, too. These smaller items take up little space and could be shipped easily, making them worth keeping.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-22-2014 06:45 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Each comes with this massive box, some power adapter/converter which allows 110/120/240? I can't recall what exactly it was, but was told those are highly desirable. We shall see if they really are!
That's most probably the rectifier for the lamp. You wouldn't want to watch a movie on a projector driven by a lamp powered by AC current [Wink] .

quote: Dan Edwards
If they would not even fetch $4,500 for the pair - I will let them go to the recycle bin. They are large, heavy, delicate and frankly, not worth the floor space.
The problem is, since everybody threw their 35mm gear out the last couple of years, there's an abundance of this gear on the market. In some cases you can even get whole multiplexes worth of 35mm gear for almost nothing, if you only arrange for pickup.

I'm almost certain this stuff will become more valuable over time, once the majority of 35mm projectors have been scrapped and a few people operating in a niche are desperate for replacement parts.

But instead of just throwing them into the garbage, you might as well try to give them away to some interested party. The "free" argument might dramatically increase your chances find a potential "buyer". [Wink]

It's always a bit of a shame when some good, functional hardware is wasted.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2014 11:29 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dan Edwards
Each comes with this massive box, some power adapter/converter which allows 110/120/240?
As someone else has pointed out by now, it's likely those big boxes are
the power DC power supplies for the xenon lamphouses. They are more
than just "desirable" as you need them to get light out of the projector.

The Kinotons are nice machines. I run 5 of them at two different
screening rooms I regularly work at. (Two 35mm's, Two 35/70's &
One 35/16) I really like them.

As for what they are worth- - my dad, who was an advertising executive
for may years, would say "They're worth whatever you can get someone
to pay for them."

If I had a place to store them, I'd buy them from you, but I've
already got 'too much stuff'

Here's Some Actual Photos (WoW!)
I run two Kinotons in this booth. 99% of the
time I'm running changeovers, but occasionally
I'll run a show off of 12K reels from the low-boy
transport barely visible behind the projector.
 -

The 35/70's In Another Booth I Work At.
These are still set up to do both Dolby Digital & DTS
and we can also do 35/70 mag sound if necessary.
 -
(one of a pair. I don't 'do' platters!)
This location also has a Kinoton 35/16mm proj.

They're all good machines, although I find the 35/70
a bit trickier to thread due to all the xtra rollers!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-23-2014 01:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...work at Dolby do you?

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2014 02:49 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, Steve. The Dolby screening room is one of several I work at.

In fact, I've been there so much lately I should just move a cot
into one of the audio booths & sleep there.
(hey- - it would sure be quiet! [Big Grin] LoL)

It's probably one of the best 'projection gigs' in San Francisco.

I also work at two other private screening rooms, one of them has the
other kinotons pictured & the 2nd one has a pair of double-system Centurys.

Fabian Schreyer
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2014 04:47 PM      Profile for Fabian Schreyer   Email Fabian Schreyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's that remote control above the porthole? Does it belong to a Dolby processor. Never seen one like this.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-23-2014 06:04 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a CP750 remote fader unit go bad, and it was changing CP750 formats when the knob was turned... so there is the capability to more fully remote control one via the remote fader connector but I've never heard of a true remote. Is that one?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-23-2014 06:27 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it seems to be the Dolby Screening Room, couldn't it be some kind of... never released prototype remote? [Smile]

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-23-2014 07:31 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good guess Marcel!

That's actually a model 278 barcode reader intended to be a smart front end to automation from back in the late '80's. The idea was it would read barcode cues flashed onto the actual release prints. These could be scope, flat, curtain cue, end of show, ad infinitum. Looks pretty modern after all these years.

I selected the Strong X60 C's as they were the last Strong to have glass reflectors.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: