Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70mm film distributors

Author Topic: 70mm film distributors
Fiona Nancy Dulake
Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2014 04:56 PM      Profile for Fiona Nancy Dulake   Email Fiona Nancy Dulake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there, does anyone know of any 70mm film distribution companies who are still distributing their films?

|  IP: Logged

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2014 04:59 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was tink to ask same, not only now when Interstellar isin the game, but let's say i want to make 70mm fest with some titles, i have equipment and all.....but, where and how to get prints?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-08-2014 06:33 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My impression is that a lot of 70mm shows in Britain are now a case of getting the print from an archive or collector, and buying a license to screen the movie from the theatrical distributor separately. The last I knew, the National Media Museum in Bradford had a lot of the UK's remaining viable 70mm prints in storage after Perivale got rid of them because, given the Widescreen Weekend, it made sense to keep them there. Perhaps Duncan, Darren or someone better connected to the Bradford setup could chime in at this point. The British Film Institute / National Film and Television Archive has some 70mm viewing copies in its collection, but is pretty cagey about which venues it'll let them out to.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 10-08-2014 08:36 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the usual route: Via your booker and the respective movie studio, especially for upcoming releases like Interstellar or maybe Tarantino's new movie. But I guess you'll be out of luck for Interstellar. I'm not sure if even a single 5/70mm print will eventually make it to Europe, but maybe there's some hope [Wink] .

And like Leo already mentioned, for vintage prints, you need to look for archives or collectors that are willing to provide a print. You still need to get proper licensing from the respective studio obviously.

But I'm afraid that the willingness to provide such a delicate print is probably limited. Would you, for example, want to provide one of the last prints of anything to somebody that you're not sure if they actually can handle such a print?

I'm not totally sure about the cost nowadays, but a 70mm print like Interstellar will probably cost anywhere north of $15K or maybe even more. For existing movies, there will simply be no new prints...

Fiona Nancy Dulake
Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2014 10:35 AM      Profile for Fiona Nancy Dulake   Email Fiona Nancy Dulake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your suggestion guys. Will look into it. And yeah, I wouldn't rent out to just me either with the level of experience I have at this moment in time. But I wouldn't be the one to handle the film anyway. I would use someone wth years of experience. A couple of people in my town have this experience.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2014 03:43 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TryReel Solutions in Halifax, they book and arrange Film Festivals and have good contacts for 70mm Exhibition for the UK.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: