Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Devry xd help (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Devry xd help
Jas Verlen
Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2014 11:54 AM      Profile for Jas Verlen   Email Jas Verlen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quentin's announcement re 70mm inspired me to start running 35mm again.

My Devry Xd runs well. However sound is not so hot. Unit was redone by Marty Bahn 20 years ago for Dolby. I run it into a cheap radio shack mic preamp and then to two integrated Pyramid amps (line inputs) to two speakers. Sound is better than has been before but key problem is if you turn it up to hear low voices the dynamic range is so great the action sequences are way too loud.

Do you think a dolby cp50 or similar would solve this? If so ebay looks like a lot of junky stuff 'as is'. Anyone have a unit like this that is complete and running for a fair price?

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2014 12:06 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, a Dolby processor should fix that problem. I would not waste money on a CP-50, they only do mono and either Dolby A or Dolby SR, but not both without an add-on card and processor.

Go for a CP-55, CP45, or CP-65 (best).

Jas Verlen
Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2014 12:38 PM      Profile for Jas Verlen   Email Jas Verlen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Mitchel. I see one on ebay that sounds complete but then says "no power supply". I wasnt aware these units need a separate power supply...?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-19-2014 05:33 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not bother with a 45. Not many repair parts and pretty mediocre performance and no headroom. Go for the 65. There are a lot of spares for this and the 55.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-19-2014 05:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam... Don't tell Louis that!

I did a red led reverse scanner some years ago for a friend's XD and it worked just fine. But it's all a custom job.

Mark

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-19-2014 06:06 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And why not a Dolby CP-650? It supports all essential analog formats, including Dolby A and SR and you can even use SRD if you get a reader and if you want to run digital sound. As a bonus: There are still plenty of spare components to be found as this machine is still quite commonly used, even in DCI setups.

Jas Verlen
Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2014 07:20 PM      Profile for Jas Verlen   Email Jas Verlen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok thanks everyone for their input - sounds like stay away from the 45 and 50.

Ebay is scaring ime on this - lots of 'as is' and 'no return' - probably trashed. Anyone know of a complete unit in good order with a 30 day return policy? I can spend maybe about $200. I will pay immediately and i'm easy to deal with.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-19-2014 08:53 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
65 is better than 45. I do understand the cp-45 and have never had a problem getting wonderful sound out of them. . . . you gotta know the tricks. The 45 doesn't take prisoners.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-20-2014 09:29 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jas Verlin,

With the right cards in it the CP-50 can sound almost as good as a CP-65! The real bad spot in the CP-50 was always the Cat 117 fader card. It had extremely high harmonic distortion at hi frequencies. But you replace it with a CAT 517 card and it's like magic.

Still, in my expereince nothing else older or any current product today even comes close to the sound quality of the Panastereo CSP-1200.

Mark

Jas Verlen
Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2014 11:09 AM      Profile for Jas Verlen   Email Jas Verlen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There appear to be no Panastereo units on ebay so while it may be a good way to go it is not anption unless i can find one.

As of now i'm still stuck on ebay for a dolby unit and the options don't look good

But thanks to everone for the input and as i said if you hear of a unit in running order in my range pls let me know

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2014 02:46 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ebay item no 111400169973 looks a good fully loaded CP65, but its showing up as £180 in the UK - not sure what it is in the US, where it is located?

Jas Verlen
Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2014 04:24 PM      Profile for Jas Verlen   Email Jas Verlen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes i am watching thtat one.. It is $300...but i could possibly make a lower offer.

Question - i am looking over the pictures - my Devry has RCA outputs - i dont see where i connect them to on this unit?

Jas Verlen
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2014 10:40 AM      Profile for Jas Verlen   Email Jas Verlen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another possibility might be the FMR RNC (really nice compressor). $150, supported by manufacturer, probably simple to use with exception of non-rca connectors. Seems designed to handle the overly dynamic problem i am having.

Fredrik Sandstrom
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2014 11:56 AM      Profile for Fredrik Sandstrom   Email Fredrik Sandstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jas Verlen
Do you think a dolby cp50 or similar would solve this?
While I agree with everyone that a Dolby processor is definitely the way to go for high-quality sound, I fail to see how it would solve your particular problem. Quite the opposite in fact; a Dolby processor will EXPAND dynamic range during playback, whereas you seem to want to compress it. Or am I missing something?

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 09-21-2014 04:34 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess he's facing the problem that he's trying to run Dolby A and maybe even SR prints without any suitable decoder. That won't sound so hot.

But is this for a home setup or an actual cinema? If you just want to spend 200 bucks on improving sound, it's never going to be hot...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: