Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ascraft Cinex Lamps and Rectifiers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ascraft Cinex Lamps and Rectifiers
Robert John Hodge
Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2014 09:56 AM      Profile for Robert John Hodge   Email Robert John Hodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
With the unfortunate passing of Bob Troop, I have become the new house projectionist for the Capitol Theatre in Rome NY.

Recently I've had the challenge of diagnosing lamp problems that previously didn't exist.

Both lamps use 11 mm x 20 inch positives and 3/8 x 9 plated negatives. And the 2 rectifier's are unchanged (arc voltage and current) as they were when they were put in service 4 or
so years ago. 90-100 amps on both meters.
But the arc is unstable and it wanders around on the negative with all the image problems that go along with it. The only way I can achieve stability is to keep the gap between the positive and negative smaller that the arc scope indicates it should be. Arc current when stable is around 115 amps.
Both feed rate rheostats are set about where they always have been. And since I've long believed that having a control set wide open or almost off indicates something else is wrong means that adjusting them for those conditions isn't an option.

All of the carbon drive motors have serviceable brushes and there are no drive difficulties with the feeds. The contacts are in clean , polished condition.
All of the connections in the rectifiers and lamps are tight and there are no problems with the AC supply to the rectifiers.
Could the rectifier stacks (original to the units) be developing high internal resistance which is causing problems with the current availability to the lamps? The service manuals don't address servicing the stacks.
Selenium stacks in power supplies can go high- but I read these aren't selenium.
I'd appreciate any thoughts on the matter.
For the last Capitolfest, I had to regulate both lamps by hand. And not with 100% success rate.

Also, the factory manual for these specifies a 11/32 x 9 negative but we have used 3/8 x 9 for a long time. Can that be enough to make a difference? Why do I think not. But why would National make a carbon with that small a difference if it didn't matter.

The rectifier units are the only common factors between the 2 machines. And I doubt the 2 step-down transformers are to blame. If I was to take a DC resistance check of the 2 bridges, what would a typical reading be? I'm used to reading silicon diodes and other semiconductors with a DVM, but these are outside my range of experiences. An open or shorted selenium stack in vacuum tube gear is simply replaced with an appropriate dropping resistor. Not an option w/ these!
I have a couple of physically very large GE Silicon bridges with hefty heat sinks that might work - but I would need to determine that before trying them, naturally. They are new old stock that came out of a theater supply warehouse.

Sorry for the long winded post. But those are the facts.

Many, Many Thanks!!

Bob Hodge

|  IP: Logged

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2014 02:56 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what make and model are the rectifiers? Nameplate input voltage, phase, current,and output voltage and current? Has the local power company done any upgrading to the power lines, transformers, etc. recently? It has been known to have the power company replace a 120/240 transformer with a 115/208 which would cause reduced input voltage and require the taps on the rectifier to be adjusted to suit. Can you read the input voltage with a meter and see how close it is to the nameplate voltage? Check each phase leg across and to ground ? Another thing is too much exhaust draft, did someone close the draft control dampers on the exhaust stacks? Has the exhaust fan been replaced?? Easy check is to strike a lamp and slowly pull the exhaust stack off the top and see if the arc stabilizes, if it does, you have too much air being drawn through the lamp. Somewhere I have exhaust CFM guages for the old trashcans... or get an HVAC contractor in there to adjust the draft to the CFM spec in the manual.

Robert John Hodge
Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2014 03:56 PM      Profile for Robert John Hodge   Email Robert John Hodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The draft is what it always has been which was never enough to suit me. But we've never broken a reflector so it's probably enough.

But the pole pigs changeout is very possible. I will look into the AC component.
That might explain why the problem seemed to occur as it did and on both units.

John Vincent, Jr.
Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2014 09:18 AM      Profile for John Vincent, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email John Vincent, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,

We have a large cache of Ashcraft parts here at Wellfleet DI.

We ran Super Cinex's (RCA Dynarcs) from 1957-2012, with one still operational. A Barco 32B took the place of the other.

Additionally, my former projectionist Dave Mead might be able to help you with the problem.

My phone # is 508-349-2450

Tom Horsfall
Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2014 10:15 AM      Profile for Tom Horsfall   Email Tom Horsfall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked with many different models of Ashcraft lamps in the 60s and 70s and the symptoms you describe remind me of the time in the late 70s when I was working in a drive-in using Ashcraft Super Power lamps with a 10mm x 11/32" trim and a motor generator. Those Ashcraft lamps always had a very steady arc and ran flawlessly until one night I noticed the tail flame wandering around, I was able to stay on the screen by using the negative lateral and vertical adjustments. After that reel I looked at the negative carbon and noticed there was no core material in the core. I put in a new negative after checking it for core material and everything was normal until I ran into the same problem about every tenth carbon. I and others noticed the quality control of National Carbons wasn't what it used to be. I suggest you examine the negative carbon closely. We also ran into the "no core material" problem in some areas of the positive carbons too. That was a BIG problem, we had to change the positive to continue. I ran into this quality control problem in other theaters too.

National General Theaters switched to Marble Double Eagle carbons right around that time and the quality was better.

Robert John Hodge
Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2014 09:44 AM      Profile for Robert John Hodge   Email Robert John Hodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You John Eickhof, John Vincent and Tom Horsfall!!

It's in the bag!

The problem was the line voltage which fell from 220v. to 207 across all 3 phases. You could have knocked me over with a feather after finding out that the AC had fallen that much.

Resetting the taps on the rectifiers got the current back to where it should have been without manual carbon adjustment. The flame is now textbook perfect and as stable as it always was before all this happened- Back when the voltage was 220 volts.

I'll be in touch with you John about your parts. BTW, I've been to your drive in for the Sunday flea market. But of course the booth wasn't open. I have a friend that has friends with a cottage not far from you.

Many Thanks, Sincerely Once Again!

Bob Hodge

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-15-2014 03:12 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to find the issue. When I did a drive-in with the same Ashcraft setup and the same size of carbons, I couldn't get the light needed to the screen and had the wandering flame.

Found out that the arc beam mirror was way out of adjustment making the trim way out of focus to the reflector.

Zeroed that all back in and got my steady light back and a much brilliant picture.

I was a relief operator that found this issue. The Union guys there couldn't (or didn't care to) figure this one out.

-Monte

Robert John Hodge
Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2014 03:40 PM      Profile for Robert John Hodge   Email Robert John Hodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Work!! I hope they appreciated it! Even if the crater was a little bit out of the proper position would be bad. And it sounds like it was more than a little bit!

Best!

Bob

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2014 04:09 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert John Hodge
The problem was the line voltage which fell from 220v. to 207 across all 3 phases. You could have knocked me over with a feather after finding out that the AC had fallen that much.
For a three phase supply, the correct voltage is 208V, so your supply is now correct, whereas previously it would have been high.

220V is normally seen in single / split phase.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2014 04:39 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually David, in the USA there are two different 3 phase electrical systems. The older one is a 120/240 volt DELTA system that provides an even 220-240 volts across any two of the phase legs (X,Y,Z), and 120 volts from X & Z phase leg to Neutral or ground (Earth) and the Y leg is known as a stinger that outputs approx 180-200 volts to ground. The more modern system is the 120-208 volt WYE system, it supplies three equal legs of approx. 110-120 volts to it's own neutral or ground and an even 208 volts between any two of the three legs. (X,Y,Z) The original Delta system was used so that lighting and lighter loads could be fed from the same 3 phase service yet the 240 volts was a more robust supply voltage and a slight reduction in conductor size was also a benefit.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-16-2014 01:06 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like my building: got 480 delta coming in and heads to a transformer to reduce it down to 208 WYE, then out to the sub panels which then feeds the individual panels.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-16-2014 09:12 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several cinemas have a transformer at each panel.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2014 10:01 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I built my shop 15 years ago, I have 480 volt DELTA feed from the road to my building then transformered to 208 WYE the 800 foot run of copper was way more affordable at 480V instead of 208 0R 240 Volts! Plus, by code I only needed three conductors for all the hot legs as the transformer produces it's own neutral leg. Also it qualified me for an agricultural rate for my power! Very low cost!

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2014 10:33 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Eickhof
actually David, in the USA there are two different 3 phase electrical systems. The older one is a 120/240 volt DELTA system that provides an even 220-240 volts across any two of the phase legs (X,Y,Z), and 120 volts from X & Z phase leg to Neutral or ground (Earth) and the Y leg is known as a stinger that outputs approx 180-200 volts to ground.
Ah yes, I'd forgotten about ye olde wild leg system. Weird thing. Not the weirdest piece of USA electricity, that honour belongs to the four phase supply (is there any left?), but pretty weird none-the-less.

So it looks like John went from wild leg to "proper" three phase, and his supplier omitted to tell him... Nice.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-17-2014 06:45 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Edison DC system takes the weird prize. A decade or so back there was still some DC service in New York City that you could trace in the street with a compass. I have no idea what used it, maybe transit?
Tesla didn't personally do as well as Edison but his AC system certainly won out for local power distribution. HVDC is still used for some long haul power lines.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: