Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex E-7 Collectors (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Simplex E-7 Collectors
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2014 07:06 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just interested in starting a new thread for E-7 collectors. Who is still collecting/restoring/operating and if there are still any untapped sources for spare parts.

E-7 topics have been covered extensively in other threads...but maybe we can collate here.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2014 07:57 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love these old E7's;It was the first 35mm Projector I ever saw when I went into my first projection booth at 6 years old.All four Downtown theaters here in the 50's had E7's that were installed right at the beginning of WWII.When the XL came along in 48 None of the theaters upgraded and continued with their E7's until they Closed up or changed Venues. Let's see if these Digital Projectors have the Longevity these Great Old Projectors
had... [thumbsup]

-

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-07-2014 08:39 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is so great about the E-7? For historical value, there are probably more Super Simplexes still in use, while the X-L is a much better design and very innovative for its time.

The photograph is interesting: that is a nice-looking projector, but the soundhead needs a door for the exciter-lamp compartment. Also, what is that lamphouse, and is that an anamorphic lens that was designed for 16mm projectors? Is that a home-built automation system?

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2014 09:07 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason there are probably more Supers around is they were made almost 10 years before(1928) the E7 main Production started(1938), As far as comparison; E7 out classes a Super all over.It had revised features that made it a Superior Unit. Front and Rear Syncronized Shutters on the same shaft. Each Shutter acting on a Half Beam giving a Disolve effect and producing more Light(12.5%) Used a One shot oiling system that sent oil to every Part that need lubrication with the push of your Thumb. Used Hunting Tooth Gearing where the gears revolved on stationary shafts;no revolving in Bushing in the Main Frame.Pretty nice projector for 30's technology!

As far as the XL goes. The Idea when you introduce a new model is it's supposed to be a better unit. But the reliability of the E7 kept 100's of theaters from updating to them; and as I said previously all 4 Theaters here used them way past when the XL came along(48/49) and continued until the theaters closed...

I'm not knocking a Super, they were good units but updated Technology related to the E7 makes them a better Projector IMHO...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-08-2014 03:05 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A former company I used to work for took over a single palace house that was closed up for years.

Booth had E-7's, Simplex Mag penthouses and Enarc lamphouses. My task was to convert the booth to be ready for xenon and platter. Thus, I took out the No.2 machine for the platter and No.1 machine to be cleaned up and converted to LED reverse scan.

Both projectors had noisy intermittents, yet found parts in the location to do one rebuild.

Being the old taper pin starwheel shafts, I dismantled the assembly and cleaned out all the goo that resided in the case. The starwheel was in bad shape due to a bad cam pin. Replaced both with the new found parts along with reversing the sprocket to use the other side.

I fine tuned in the assembly to where one can feel the pin enter into the starwheel at the right moment, tightened it all up, filled it with oil and let it run in for a while. Ran film through that thing and it was ghostly quiet for film to pass through an E-7 after that rebuild.

Owner was impressed along with the manager on how quiet that machine ran - quieter than a PR-1050 at the other locations..

Two weeks later, a high school booth clown made his loops too small causing a splice break which the upper sprocket took the break en to wrap it good around the upper sprocket to stop it and to shred out the oblique gear .. and had to rebuild that E-7 again with parts that were still on location.

He was told on how the loops supposed to look like, but he didn't care - he lost his job that same day.

-Monte

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2014 04:12 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I think that E-7 looks great! I think it's actually a Dalek about to EXTERMINATE!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-08-2014 11:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an oblique shaft E-7 that's never ever run film. It's going in the dumpster next month when I clean out the warehouse. Come haul it away if you want it. I am keeping the three Supers and all the Phillips stuff I have though. They are much better projectors than the E-7! Put a set of Posi-Trol,sprockets on a Super and the things will blow away any other projector on the planet. They are nearly bullet proof and ran great on platters with a once a day oiling. I pulled countless Supers that NEVER broke down.

Monte... E-7's never ever had taper pin star shaft's! Always screw and nut.

Steve Matz... There is nothing that's really superior in an E-7 over a Super. The double shutters had to be abandoned for CinemaScope and the one shot oilers tubing plugged up over the years causing some projectors to bind up. The shutter efficiency is exactly the same as a Super and the E-7 is a big pain in the ass to disassemble. You can rebuild two Supers for every E-7. The E-7 introduced studio guides (some call them dirt holders) to projection but they really did not improve lateral steadiness at all. The one thing it had that was nice were easily removable gate and trap. The oblique gearing was very failure prone and most were converted to a vertical shaft configuration which was only marginally stronger. The gearing on both was too tiny for the job! By the way The theater in Big Timber ran an E-7 until about an year ago. Far as I know it was the last one on the planet.

Simplex X-L's varied in overall quality since the day they were introduced. The older main castings are awful pot metal that is very porous. Later main castings improved as they began heat treating them. The rest of the covers were also pot metal and almost all covers warped. This projector design was bought and sold at least five times during it's production life. Some that had high power arcs behind them warped in place. Strong fixed many of the cover issues and also produced very good main castings. But by then intermittent parts quality became inconsistent and the simplex bounce appeared on screens all over the world. Strong jazzed up the intermittent ruining it at the same time and the case halves were no longer interchangeable. So the best X-L's might be defined as having a main casting and covers made by strong with original Simplex gearing and intermittent in it. They all leaked oil to varying degrees. The conical,shutter approached 50% efficiency. I think Singer produced the best ones.

Mark

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2014 11:39 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Mark we can agree to disagree. If I was a Theater Owner in 1939 I probably would have bought CENTURY P's over the Simplex's to begin with....

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2014 11:59 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice Pair Of E-7's At The UA Farmingdale (NY) [1978]
 -

I ran these machines for almost 9years
and never had any problems. These were
the original projectors installed when the
theater opened in 1939. I just kept them
clean & lubricated & they ran great!
 -

(Note the 'modern' air & emergency lighting systems!)
 -
!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-08-2014 01:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting combination of equipment there. That had to be the last set of those Ashcraft lamps operating on the planet even in 1978!

Steve Matz... Although you no doubt have nearly 40 years experience servicing and rebuilding projectors I will say that the 1939-1940 Century's were the best ones period. The Model C was cast iron in those days. I rebuilt a number of the cast iron Centuries in the 1990's and the casting was hard as diamond. I installed Kelmar turrets on them and normally one just uses a sawzall to cut out the front for the turret. Not on these, four blades later I was about an inch into the casting. Had to have them plasma cut! Not even sure water jet cutting wolda worked.

Mark

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2014 01:24 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still running an E-7 in my theatre right now.
Other than oblique gear and very leaky on oil, they have been rock solid.

Mark, I'd love to have that E-7 if you are just going to toss it.
I am in Indiana, though, so it would have to be shipped.
PM me if you want to work out something.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-08-2014 01:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony,

It's yours. Just pay the packing and shipping. I can drop it off at Navis Pack And Ship here in town. It may have to be crated because of it's weight. I just shipped an X-L and they quoited me 125 to build the crate. It could probably go Fed-Ex Ground even in the crate. I think they do up to 150 pounds.

Mark

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2014 02:38 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony beat me to it! Mark, what else are you sending to the dump? Please email or p.m. me your phone number so we can talk tonight or over the weekend.

Cheers

K

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-08-2014 02:38 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, send me a message when you are going to clean the warehouse out...I'd like to help and maybe intercept some stuff headed to the dumpster. [Smile]

I have to sched a doc's appt in Ogden early next month, will let you know what day and time.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-08-2014 02:44 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The E7 had a adjustable gate tension unlike the early supers they had far less issues with abrading the perf area than the supers they had by far a better image than the super or the Xl
Until it had a mishap the oblique shaft was far more quiet than the vertical that was more robust
never heard of a oiler plugging up and the E7 was the most common head till the change to Vic8 and VIc 5 occured up here
they were a rock solid machine overall
Steve what is that lamphouse

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: