Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » WANTED 500W Xenon Lamp

Author Topic: WANTED 500W Xenon Lamp
Christopher Woollard
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2014 01:48 PM      Profile for Christopher Woollard   Email Christopher Woollard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trying to locate a new 500W Xenon lamp for an Eiki EX-6100 projector I have just acquired and am rebuilding. This particular projector has a 500W rectifier only. If I cannot locate the correct lamp I should easily be able to machine up an adaptor for another 500W horizontal xenon. Old lamp has a 10mmx1.25 tread on the cathode end and free cable on the anode but I have access to a small machine shop.

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-23-2014 12:14 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several possible US suppliers have been mentioned in this thread, but if you go down that route you're looking at import duty/VAT (when I was still at Leeds I bought a 25mm Eiki lens for $300 from the US, and ended up paying around £50 in taxes and handling fees to get it into the UK) and the anxiety as to whether it'll survive the journey.

When I worked for City Screen in the late '90s we bought xenon bulbs from Calmat Lenco (also mentioned on this thread from 2002), including one for a 16mm pedestal machine. At the time they were based in Great Dunmow, which isn't too far from you. I don't know if they're still in business, but from being unable to find any evidence of them having their own web presence (as distinct from mentions on third party directory sites), I fear not. Still, I guess it might be worth ringing the number unearthed by a Google search (01371 873779), just in case they're still around and able to help. A Google street view look at the postal address I found (2 Haslers Lane), [url=https://www.google.com/maps?q=2+Haslers+Lane+Dunmow+CM6+1XS+United+Kingdom+&hl=en&ll=51.869052,0.365145&spn=0.003571,0.008025&sll=51.868982,0.365203&layer=c&cbp=13,217.63,,0,5.17&cbll=51.869128,0.365068&hnear=2+Haslers+Ln,+Dunmow+CM6+1BL,+United +Kingdom&t=m&z=17&panoid=uD-kqnOrCJ6TVjQA15q8qw]shows a building[/url] that appears to be occupied by a company called Containerlift.

Edit: apologies for the messy link. The tags surrounding it appear to be present and correct, but it won't render as a text hyperlink for some reason.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-23-2014 02:42 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema Technology magazine usually has advertisments for several suppliers of xenon lamps. If they don't stock them they might be able to order one for you.

Do you use the Motion Picture Solutions site to download digital trailers? If so then Cinema Technology is now available on a tab on your portal page on that site.

Christopher Woollard
Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2014 11:51 AM      Profile for Christopher Woollard   Email Christopher Woollard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Leo and Stephen I will follow these up. I may be visiting the US in a while so buying locally there is another option.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-24-2014 12:02 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're visiting the US, then (assuming you're a UK citizen) you're allowed to bring back £240 ($400 ish) worth of stuff without paying any duty. Annoyingly, your xenon bulb is probably just on the cusp of that limit. I'd suggest keeping the receipt in case you're stopped at customs on the way back, though.

The only other thing that occurs to me is that, being a pressure vessel, taking a xenon bulb in carry-on or checked luggage may be either against the airline's rules, or they may have special packaging requirements. It might be worth checking this out. A xenon bulb would look weird enough for the TSA to be very intrigued by it if you got unlucky and were selected for a baggage search, and so if it were me I'd want to investigate the rules 'n regs thoroughly first, and have the relevant printouts with me in case of any problem.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: