Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » AMC Prime vs ETX (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: AMC Prime vs ETX
Jason McMillan
Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2014 01:30 PM      Profile for Jason McMillan   Email Jason McMillan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did some digging around on here and I couldn't rightly find anything that seemed to address my curiosity, so if this is a repeat subject, I apologize in advance..

The closest AMC Theatre to me is AMC Willowbrook 24. Their website is advertising that they have "Prime" and "ETX". It clearly lists separate showtimes for each branding, and a price difference between the two. I happened to be at the theatre last night for another screening and poked my head into the auditorium labeled "Prime". I looked around, and saw no auditoriums labeled "ETX".

Yes, the Prime auditorium has the recliners, and the sound system (though it was dark and I didnt get a great look at the speaker configuration to tell you if it was Atmos or not), and the dual projectors for 3D Captain America... but what confused me is that this location states they have certain showtimes for "Prime" and certain showtimes for "ETX"... but I didn't see two auditoriums that had been converted..

So my question is this.. is "AMC Prime" just their "ETX" auditoriums, with recliners? Granted, it was dark when I popped my head in so I couldnt quite see all the way up and I couldn't tell if the entire auditorium labeled prime was all recliners or not..

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-17-2014 01:48 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man this is getting just as confusing as the different versions of Windows software. For example they have "Ultimate" but it's not actually the ultimate version of that very software. They have a bunch of other names for the same software that only serve to confuse. AMC must be a big Microsoft fan.

There's no way the recliner auditoriums are the PRIME auditoriums because usually the entire complex has the recliners.

Jason McMillan
Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2014 02:17 PM      Profile for Jason McMillan   Email Jason McMillan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seem them upgrade any of the other auditoriums with recliners, just house 12 (of of the two largest). They may have plans (who knows with AMC)... but all it looks like they did was add a bar near screen 24, and remodel house 12.

Even though I've worked for AMC before back in the mid and late 90s, and even though I'm friends with James Hammonds that worked here, I can't say I've ever been a big fan of (especially this) AMC... I don't go here that often (preferring the Santikos Silverado down the street) but it just seemed to be confusing marketing.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-17-2014 04:14 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, do you know how many Dolby Atmos systems Santikos installed in the Silverado multiplex? I know they put four of them into the Palladium AVX theater West of Houston.

AMC doesn't have very many "ETX" and "Prime" screens. AMC has over 130 IMAX-branded screens, very few of which are 15/70mm capable.

The ETX screens compete with IMAX Digital. Similar concept, except all the ETX screens are equipped with Dolby Atmos instead of IMAX' basketball arena style sound.

My understanding is the "Prime" auditoriums are supposed to be like higher end screening rooms. AMC has half a dozen of these screens. They're equipped with Dolby Atmos and are THX certified. The recliner seats have Guitammer seat transducers that reverberate for the louder audio elements, like gunshots, explosions, Sofia Vergara screaming, etc.

I hadn't heard about this new thing of AMC putting recliners in all of the auditoriums of a theater.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2014 04:43 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect what has happened is that someone at Willowbrook has used the wrong programming code for those shows of Captain America, since when one tries to buy a ticket for those ETX shows, Fandango doesn't know what to do.

AMC Prime will be replacing (or as in the case of this theatre, already has replaced) ETX.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 04-17-2014 05:53 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I googled it for you

https://www.amctheatres.com/movie-news/2013/11/amc-theatres-introduces-amc-prime-a-revolutionary-movie-going-experience

quote:
AMC Theatres® is proud to introduce AMC Prime, a revolutionary movie-going experience.

AMC Prime brings together a unique blend of enhanced sensory technology and premium comfort that allows our guests to feel every turn, takeoff and awe-inspiring explosion while reclining in a custom-fitted chair.

How is AMC Prime different? We’re glad you asked…

Recliner chairs that have subwoofers integrated into them so guests can “feel” the action they see on-screen
Dolby Atmos sound technology and JBL speakers surround guests on all sides for a world-class, immersive audio experience
A specialized screen that enhances the visual beauty of every film seen in an AMC Prime auditorium
We could go on and on about all the great features that come with seeing a movie in AMC Prime but that wouldn’t do it justice. It’s something you have to feel to believe.

Click here to check to learn more.

We’ll see you there.

https://www.amctheatres.com/amc-prime

Oh and if you click on this link, it indicates the "prime" ones are THX certified as well. I wasn't aware ATMOS locations were getting THX certification. Although that might just refer to the equipment?

But if it is "prime" then it should have atmos

Jason McMillan
Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2014 08:17 PM      Profile for Jason McMillan   Email Jason McMillan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Jason, do you know how many Dolby Atmos systems Santikos installed in the Silverado multiplex
To my knowledge, the last time I was in the Silverado in Tomball they had two Atmos screens. I was there for The Book Thief at the time if that gives you a timetable.

quote: Chris Slycord
I googled it for you
I know what a Prime auditorium is, don't get me wrong. I was just asking if anyone knew how it differed compared to AMC's "ETX" branded auditoriums because this theatres website was advertising both and I only saw the "Prime" auditorium at the theatre.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2014 10:23 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears AMC's "PRIME" auditoriums are REPLACING the ETX screens, and that's exactly what happened at the AMC closest to me, the Barrywoods 24.

It's news to me that they are THX certified, they should be advertising it and playing the deep note forchrissakes!

I love the Prime screen here, it's a great experience. Captain America rocked my socks right off.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-17-2014 11:06 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really see this whole trend of "Prime" replacing "ETX."

There has perhaps been a couple ETX screens converted to Prime. Maybe?

When I visit the AMC web site the numbers of ETX screens still look pretty much the same, except for a couple of screens. There's only a dozen ETX screens. There's only 6 Prime screens. Last year there was only 3 of them. Either way it's not all that big a deal.

The Houston market has 2 of those Prime screens. I do think it's kind of cool Prime screens sport THX certification and Dolby Atmos capability. But AMC needs to install more of those damned things. Santikos has 4 Atmos equipped screens at one theater in Houston and 2 at another.

I suppose I might get a little more excited about Prime if AMC started doing Prime auditoriums in a lot more theater locations than only a measly 6 of them. They have fucking 130+ IMAX branded theaters. The ETX and Prime labeled screens seem like a footnote compared to those numbers, even though the sound systems are a hell of a lot better.

I'm not a big fan of AMC theaters in general, but if they step up their game a lot by way of putting in more THX certified theaters and Dolby Atmos sound systems that might apply more pressure to the theaters I actually like.

Like what the fuck is going on with Warren Theaters? I mean they're traditionally one of the biggest supporters of the Dolby brand name. They do Dolby 3D, Dolby 7.1, have Dolby Digital Cinema oriented servers, etc. Not to mention all their regular, non-IMAX branded theaters are THX certified. Unfortunately, to this date, NONE of their theaters are equipped with Dolby Atmos.

I wrote the Warren folks not long ago, telling them the last few movies I've watched at commercial theaters were at the rival Harkins location in Bricktown all because it had Dolby Atmos and their theater in Moore did not. I'm not going to mess with the Moore Warren Theater until they get Atmos in there.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2014 11:17 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well there's been two replacements in this 12 hour old thread already.

I didn't realize Prime houses were so rare, that is indeed a shame.

Maybe they're just in a demo phase, or waiting for laser projectors or...?

Who knows. I love the one here though. I will drive the 50 miles and pay for the ticket for whatever movie is in that house before I watch it for free at the theater I work at.

I think we can all agree that they should dump IMAX like a hot potato though. Why pay the licensing when you YOURSELF have a better product? They should convert them all to Prime! [Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-17-2014 11:31 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So do the Prime auditoriums have a Premium ticket price associated with them? Ha ha dumb question of course they probably do.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-17-2014 11:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, yeah. The "Prime" and "ETX" labeled houses both sport higher than usual ticket prices. In general, get out a $20 bill per admission ticket. Depending on the location you may get a $5 bill back and a little change or a couple or so dollars bills and change.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2014 12:19 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For here, full price Prime(3D, Atmos, Prime house): $15.75, lowest adult price: $10.50(same specs, different showtime)

WTF? On Monday, a separate ETX house/feature is listed. $8.50. 3D, Atmos. I know for a fact that the existing ETX got turned to a Prime, did they have another ETX that they didn't touch? I don't know. Worth investigating I suppose. There's no ETX listed showtimes through the weekend.

Imax full price: $14.75 lowest adult price: $9.50

Man, I'm in the business and get confused with their showtimes/price structure. I can only imagine a standard patron.

Jason McMillan
Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2014 09:46 AM      Profile for Jason McMillan   Email Jason McMillan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Buck Wilson
WTF? On Monday, a separate ETX house/feature is listed.
This was pretty much the source of my confusion. For example at Willowbrook 24 today, they have two ETX shows of Captain America for $13.50 (evening) and 5 "Prime" shows of Transcendence for $14.50 (evening). Yet I only saw one converted auditorium.

The other Houston theatre that got a Prime Auditorium, Deerbrook 24 (fast fact: Deerbrook 24 was originally going to be Deerbrook 18, but in 1995 because of the announcement from Cinemark that the Hollywood 16 was adding 4 screens to become the Hollywood 20, AMC redesigned some upstairs space to add 6 more screens as AMC wanted their first Houston megaplex to be the largest complex in the city) doesn't list any ETX showtimes as the way Willowbrook does. I can only agree with Mr. Havens earlier in this thread that someone at the theatre is using the wrong programming code.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2014 10:52 AM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Similar confusion at my local AMC, the Burbank 16. They have two premium auditoriums. One is IMAX (digital flavor): the other used to be an ETX, but seems to have been converted to Prime. I know that house has Atmos - I've not been inside yet to see if they changed the seating out. But, the website now sells tickets for both ETX and Prime shows, even though there seems to be no ETX auditorium in the building...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: