Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » JBL 8330A Surrounds - Old cabinet vs. new

Author Topic: JBL 8330A Surrounds - Old cabinet vs. new
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2014 07:33 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the 8330A cabinets timbre matched between the old box style and the newer molded plastic?

I ask because I need to buy 6 of these. I rarely see the older box style being listed for sale, but everyone carries the plastic ones.

-David

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-20-2014 02:41 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the plastic ones certainly are lighter. This is good if you are lifting them up a ladder.

Sound? I do think they are different. I often removed old ones from a room to use as spares for the rest of the plex and then put all new into one room. For certain the tweeter is different.

If you only need a few of the wooden ones, I have 9 or 10 brand new still in cartons, purchased just for this use. email me. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-20-2014 10:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both JBL's suck when compared to what else is available today... Buy QSC Surrounds instead!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-21-2014 06:28 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree Mark. I like the 8340A and the 8350...they tune up much better than the QSCs and have a better overall response. Personally, I prefer the Plastic ones and I never thought that would be the case. I was VERY skeptical about them when they came out and staid with the wooden ones while one could get both.

But to each their own when it comes to sound...very subjective.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-21-2014 06:58 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original poster has wooden ones already and can only find plastic ones. JBL no longer makes either of them. A supply of new or used wooden case 8330 would match up and solve his problem. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-21-2014 12:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve..,

From the man himself who said he'd never buy Chinese... that's hard to believe!! The current JBL's are 100% Chinese. The 8340 and 8350 are completely different from the fossilized 8330 and are more respectable but they are also a lot more speaker and a lot more money per speaker. But hey, you want to stick with that 30 year old technology! Ok... None the less JBL is light years behind QSC in terms of overall coverage and especially in terms of overall quality. Ditto for their screen speakers. 8330's always sound like little boxes mounted to the wall, the plastic ones are even worse in that regard. Thump-thump!

My findings are just the opposite of yours in that the QSC's actually require very little tuning if you use enough of them. They are much easier to hang. And to your favor (Steve "I will never buy anything Chinese" Guttag) they are made here in the States inside the old Series 1 amplifier building!

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-22-2014 11:02 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just tuned up 7 theatres with an eclectic bunch of speakers. Oddly enough, there were 8330s, 8340s and 8330As. It wasn't even a close call. The 8330As required almost no tuning and sounded just fine...in fact quite good. The 8330A's weak point is its midrange. It is very easy to overheat its voice coil and have it bubble up the VC former.

Last I checked...the 8340A and 8350 were both made in Mexico (documentation from JBL).

Mark, I go with what works and what works best. I call em like I see em.

I agree that QSC has the best stage speaker out there. I love the SC-423 and 424...just really pleasing sound and easy to tune.

Their subs are fine too though they are inferior to the JBL 4645C if you want flat response, deep bass and power handling. I'd put the SB-7218 against the 4642A as not having a substantially better/worse speaker.

For surrounds, nope...I just haven't experienced QSC being as good, let alone better than JBL's 8340A and 8350. Mind you, I've used current QSC models too...not just the older ones. I'm NOT a fan of the 8320. It is a clear case that JBL was using the reputation of its larger siblings to sell the "economy" model...which pretty much describes the entire 3000 series. The exception being that the 3632 being superior to 4632...but I'm sure that was by accident.

As for "old technology"...age has nothing to do with it...things can be good AND old...something does not get worse simply because it is old.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-22-2014 02:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again... the 8340 and 8350 are completely different than the 8330 and 8330A. Akin to comparing an A-7 to an A-4. Compare apples to apples here! As for using old stuff, it's fine as long as there is a parts source. If you want to base a huge installation around some old Altec's be sure you can support them for a minimum of 25 years. I love old Altec's too, but I've also found the practicality on using them is extremely slim. You will ultimately be relying on parts made in dreaded China!!

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-22-2014 03:28 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmm not had issues getting altec replacements as required from great plains audio

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-22-2014 03:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, please read the post before you make a silly comment.

I compared 8330A to the 8330 (as well as the 8340) and the 8330A was superior to either the 8330 or the 8340...that is right...the plastic body speaker not only isn't the same sound as the its wooden counterpart, it is better so I wouldn't mix and match them in a single room.

As for Altec...please...We are putting in 816 systems in a multi-purpose venue (dual 816As with MR594B horns with 299 HF drivers. Of all of it...only the LF cabinets are not available new (though I have the plans so a competent cabinetry should could make those). Again, you speak from ignorance because you speculated rather than know. As Gordon mentioned...Great Plains Audio, bought the tooling from Altec when they closed the Oklahoma plant...the owner was one of the engineers that designed many of their drivers. The result are new 515-LF drivers, diaphragms. The Mantaray horns are also new via Audio Associates in Oklahoma (they bought the horn molds). Specify if you want 3-hole or 4-hole horns.

In fact the variety of drivers is larger than ever. Great Plains is making Alnico drivers as well as ferrite. The 604 is available with a variety of horns too.

And NOBODY can guarantee you 25-years of support...that is absolutely silly. Companies don't know if they will be in business that long and those that are may not have access to the component parts to support them. Who is to say that the needs will be the same in 25-years that will make what is in use now less desirable.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-22-2014 04:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I am well aware of both Great Plains Audio and Audio Associates. I wonder how long they will last??

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: