Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70MM print listing

Author Topic: 70MM print listing
Michael Cornish
Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2014 08:11 PM      Profile for Michael Cornish   Email Michael Cornish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone the best way of getting a list of both 70MM 6 track prints are still floating around?

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-21-2014 09:48 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to Michael's question, has some 70mm prints find their way into the hands of private film collectors.? If there are large format film collectors, do they have a full 70mm projection and six track sound set ups in their homes?

-Claude

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2014 01:42 AM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can provide a list for Australia. It's unfortunately really quite short [Frown]

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2014 03:27 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, quite simply, yes, and yes.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-23-2014 04:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Miller certainly has a 70mm screening room in his house. I don't know how many prints he has or has access to though.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-23-2014 04:50 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The crucial phrase here is "floating around".

I'm guessing that it would be possible, in theory, to compile a list of 70mm prints that are available for screening venues to rent in any given country. However, there are lots of qualifiers and variables. Many of the major non-profit archives will only let their prints out to venues that they know and trust. Those venues also have to clear the rights separately (i.e. pay the studio their booking fee and the archive a print rental fee). Prints in studios and private collections are often circulated on a similar basis. The prints out there range from those that pretty much any venue can book just by asking for them, to those which are only released for playing when an established relationship exists between the venue and the print's owner. Furthermore, this situation is changing all the time, as existing prints are discovered to be unusable (lost to VS, in most cases) and the occasional new one is struck.

What might be useful is a "70mm wiki" type site with a page for each title, on which anyone can post information they have about print availability. That would get round the problem of the site owner having to do all the work to keep the data current. In fact, there's no reason to restrict that to 70mm prints: as 35mm availability declines, such a site could potentially be useful both to the custodians of prints and to venues which want to play them.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2014 09:00 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there are lists. At least I have compiled my own lists over the years after being involved with 70mm festivals since the late 1990s.

You can get a good impression of what is available from reading the festival programs in various places here: http://www.in70mm.com/library/festival/index.htm

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2014 05:58 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
70mm in private hands was not as rare as you'd think, not many had home facilities to run it however. Even though I had 70mm at home I mostly ran it at work.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-22-2014 05:05 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: