Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinemeccanica V5 dual LED basement reader

Author Topic: Cinemeccanica V5 dual LED basement reader
Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2014 03:24 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Im putting a Vic 5 back together after transporting it to another location, unfortunately I didn't take it apart and Im wondering about a small light grey stabilised power supply that has come with it. Its 230/50 in and 1.87VDC 0.400mA out, is this for the sound head ? There is what looks like a large psu inside the base , would this be for the old exciter lamp ?
Thanks in advance ! Jon

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2014 12:20 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The LED power supply is going to be pretty small. Any idea what brand it is? It's always possible (virtually any kind of kluge is when the show must go on) the exciter supply was reused somehow but without knowing more about what you've got it's hard to say.

Normally the CE or Kelmar kits have a little black box. Unfortunately in my experience, it will be found haphazardly hanging by wires or screwed to the console/pedestal in some fashion.

Was the reader completely disconnected? No wires to trace?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2014 01:43 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No CE or Kelmar on one of these in the UK.

That grey box is almost undoubtedly the LED PSU. Usually it's mounted on a clip rail inside the pedestal. It should have a small potentiometer visible for drive adjustment.

Depending on the age and spec of the machine, the wiring may have gone straight to the LED, or via some internal LUCAR type push terminals.

The other large PSU might have been exciter lamp, or it might be motor soft start or inverter. A picture is worth a thousand words [Wink]

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2014 03:17 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pete, please see pic below. Its a Alpha Elletronica model BAS402 made by cinemeccanica. I'm not near the machine at the moment so can't check whether there are any connectors hanging loose that would fit. It has a AC lead hard wired to it and a small 2 pin male socket on the bottom. Grateful for any advice !
Jon
 -

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-04-2014 11:22 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemeccanica used only an LED power supply on a lot of their later readers and relied on the Dolby 650 for +/- 15 Volts.

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2014 12:49 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this psu just powers the LEDs ? I would still need 15v to power the readers boards? I think it will be paired up with a cp55 for sound. I also have a kelmar analogue/digital sound head supply from a century machines rack lying about , could I use this instead of the cp? Pretty sure that's 15vdc. ?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-05-2014 09:44 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kelmar PS would work for the 15 Volts and the LED supply. Not sure if it will handle both LEDs if this a combination digital/analog reader. Depends on the model.

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2014 10:40 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Sam, the kelmar psu is a dual dig/analogue psu , the reader is the standard cinemeccanica analogue/dig reader . Would the kelmar psu do both the LEDs and the pre amp boards of the reader ?
Thanks jon

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2014 11:03 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathon, that device pictured is the standard PSU they used for the LEDs. A SR.D/Analogue basement reader machine would have two of these.

I'm used to seeing another small black box type PSU to drive the pre-amp PCB. Never seen one powered from a CP650 in the UK.

Of course, the SRD camera PCB is powered from the DA20/CP500/CP650.

Geoff Newitt
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2014 01:23 PM      Profile for Geoff Newitt   Email Geoff Newitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan - Pete is exactly right.

I'm based in Oxfordshire, so get in touch if you'd like some help (I'd PM you, but I'm not on here often enough to have that privilege at the moment). I've got a garage full of Vic 5 bits and pieces...

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2014 02:58 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Geoff, pm'd you but not sure it got through, seems it might be blockd ?
Jon

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: