Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Tech Needed

Author Topic: Tech Needed
Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2013 09:55 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Guys: I've got a hum in my sound system and I can't figure out why. Besides I'm an operator not a tech. Can you recommend someone for Eastern Oklahoma? We're a 35mm house.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Maxon
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2013 10:29 PM      Profile for Paul Maxon   Email Paul Maxon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the hum present when the projector is running, or at all times? Im not a super skilled tech, but one of my screens at a second run house needed a new cable ran for the optical reader because it was getting interference from the motor.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2013 01:29 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point and I honestly don't know. We notice it only when the machine is running. Mostly on the right channel. But we just put the new print of "Hobbit" on and it seems to be in the left.

Bob

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-13-2013 06:06 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Ben Kehee still active??

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-13-2013 06:10 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very obvious question, and apologies in advance if it's too obvious: is the hum only there when you're running film? Is it present when you're playing a CD as the audience comes in, too? If turning off the power supply to the optical sound exciter lamp and pickup altogether while a film format (e.g. 05) is selected on the CP gets rid of the hum, then the problem is with the A-chain. If that doesn't, but selecting a different format on the CP (e.g. non-sync) does, then the problem is probably in the circuits within the CP that process the signal coming in from the optical sound pickup on the projector. If the hum is still there when you're playing a CD, then either the problem is one in the CP that affects its entire output, or somewhere else.

Have you put any new item of electrical equipment in the booth recently (especially one close to the cable run from the projector's optical sound pickup to the CP)? If so, try unplugging it and seeing if the hum goes away.

If the hum is in the A-chain or the CP, there are several different things it could be, and a tech on the ground is really what you need. My instinct would just be to rule out the simple possibilities first.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-13-2013 12:46 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Critical info right here:

quote:
... We notice it only when the machine is running. Mostly on the right channel. But we just put the new print of "Hobbit" on and it seems to be in the left.
The problem appears to be that the lateral guide roller is out of alignment....if you're running in normal optical and not Dolby Digital.

Main cause will be that QC of prints is non-existent, and I'll bet that if you could compare the optical track of the Hobbit print to a test loop you'll see it's not aligned properly. Or there is some other issue with the print's optical track.

I no longer have any test films to spare or I'd send you a loop of buzz track and CAT 69T to check the soundhead with. Maybe someone on here can help out with loops if you don't have any.

You can, if you are careful, SLOWLY turn the lateral guide adjustment on the soundhead while the film is running, listening very carefully so that you stop as soon as the hum goes away. It should not take more than 1/4 turn in either direction on a Century or Simplex soundhead. (Any more than that can really throw things out of whack.)

The above is an easy test and MAKE SURE you somehow mark the original position of the lareral guide adjuster before you start so you can put it back if the 1/4 turn either way doesn't help.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-13-2013 12:59 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert--if Tony's suggestion turns out to be correct, let me know and I will loan you the relevant test loops so you can re-align everything properly. With the correct test films, you should be able to do the lateral guide alignment fairly well by ear and the Dolby tone alignment with just the processor and a small screwdriver.

Do you have only one projector, or can you try the same reel in the other projector to confirm that the issue is not with the print?

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2013 09:00 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tips guys. As I said I'm an operator not a tech. I'll try them out if I can't find a tech. Louis, is he the one who lives near Tulsa? Do you have a number for him?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-14-2013 06:10 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Broken Bow or something like that.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-14-2013 07:43 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's the one whose Motiograph mailbox heads up the FT photo section. I've been there. Saw a Century Showscan head.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-14-2013 10:55 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1 is it there in all formats
2 is it there if film sound (all formats)with the LED reader lit but no film
That will tend to start to isolate the problem of being in the processor or the reader

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-14-2013 11:28 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just convert to digital. Problem solved!

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2013 01:03 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me know if you get a hold of that tech and if he is still doing work please!

Grant Chambers
Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2013 01:21 PM      Profile for Grant Chambers   Email Grant Chambers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris Tyson, Sonic Equipment Company Sonic Equipment Company

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2013 07:48 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I called Sonic and they sent a great 35mm tech named Johnathon down here.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: