Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Paramount kills off 35mm in the US (Page 1)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13 

Author Topic: Paramount kills off 35mm in the US
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-25-2013 12:16 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet, but a week or so ago Paramount announced Anchorman 2 would be their last release on 35mm, that all future releases would be digital only.

I believe I pegged that one dead on a couple of years ago. I've always said the studios would make it through Christmas 2013 and then in January one of the majors would announce they were no longer supporting 35mm, then the rest would follow fast.

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-25-2013 02:33 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first time I've heard this, but I'm not surprised. I would imagine they are going to start falling like dominoes now. The small number of theatres still running 35mm make up such a small percentage of the gross, I imagine the studios are barely recouping print costs.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2013 08:26 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to book Trains Plains And Automobiles the other day and was told they have DCP only. They said once a title is replaced by DCP the 35mm will no longer be available for that title! [Frown]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-25-2013 10:59 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For older and archive titles, that makes sense economic sense from the studio's perspective. There is a one-time cost in creating the DCDM and DCP from their preservation master, and once they've done that, the 35mm release print sitting in their vault is costing them money (in atmospherically controlled real estate) and making them virtually none, apart from the odd rental from a theatre that doesn't have digital projection and/or prefers to show 35mm for curatorial reasons. I'm guessing that as soon as the DCP has been made and is available in the distributor's servers, the film print goes in the recycling bin.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-25-2013 11:01 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Par might be a little early on this but seems like early in the new year film will end. They don't want all the articles about mom & pop theatres having to close to hit the news at Christmas.

Does anyone have Wolf of Wall Street or Labor Day booked on film? Likewise the latest Paranormal Activity or Jack Ryan early in the new year (all Par)?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-25-2013 11:12 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[fu] Paramount!

Is there a source for this?

In (possibly) related news, Kodak has announced a price increase on nearly all of its motion-picture products. Estimate is about a 10% increase. This takes effect on January 1.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2013 11:53 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AAHHHHH! [Mad]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-25-2013 01:10 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
In (possibly) related news...
Definitely related. As sales of film products decrease, the shrinking economies of scale make the cost of production more expensive, because the fixed costs (buildings, infrastructure, advertising, after-sales support etc.) have to be spread over a smaller volume of sales. So the price per unit goes up.

The significant thing, I'd guess, is that Kodak believe that the remaining customer base for film products (some high end film production and still photography using film for artistic reasons, archival preservation and some medical imaging, essentially) is now price-elastic enough to withstand a 3x inflation price hike.

Kevin Markwick
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2013 01:12 PM      Profile for Kevin Markwick   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Markwick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the UK Disney have announced Captain America: The Winter Soldier will be the last release available on 35mm. Surprised they are waiting that long frankly.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-25-2013 02:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, NATO was right on in their prediction all those years ago...2013 is pretty much going to be the last film year for all major releases.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 11-25-2013 03:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe it became a self-fulfilling prophecy, since nearly every news item on the conversion quoted the "2013" date, usually without indicating the source.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-25-2013 05:20 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have received clear statements towards the end of 35mm in germany a while ago. February will see the last german 35mm print. Most distributors have already ended 35mm this fall. The Hobbit 2 is the last big release with 35mm prints here.

I think we are around 85-90% conversion rate here. Public funding for digital conversions just ended here, so something like 5-10% of the remaining cinemas will not make it. A lot of them are small studio like operations without a real business model. The end of the public funding was announced quite early, that was a clear sign for everyone involved. First half of 2014 will probably see some remaining installations in small multiscreens, and local/independant/crowd funding for some single screens. Then that'll be it.

- Carsten

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 11-25-2013 06:15 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the VPF deadline was announced, it kinda brought this date more into focus.

Odds were, cinemas would scramble to meet the deadline, and the d-cinema conversion would hit critical mass before the VPF offer expired.

Once the d-cinema conversion hit critical mass, the handwriting would be on the wall, insofar as film is concerned. After all, the whole point of converting to d-cinema was to ditch film.

And then we have all the various announcements from Kodak and Fuji that they're (basically) pulling the plug on film.

Take all of this together, and nobody should be surprised that the end is here.

If you're surprised, then you weren't paying attention.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-26-2013 09:02 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not surprised by the announcement from Paramount. Actually, I was expecting more distributors to make similar announcements like this before year's end. I seem to recall a discussion here about Fox considering a halt to 35mm release print production a year or so ago.

The thing that worries me is what the impending shut-down on 35mm release print production will do in raising the costs of film-based production. 35mm negative film is made on different production lines. However, there has to be some kind of ripple effect that will hit it anyway.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 11-26-2013 11:49 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did VPFs actually do any good for many independents? I know of a handful of independents who have installed (or will soon install) D-cinema equipment, and I only know of one (a 5-screen first-run house) that signed up with a VPF deal (not sure which one, specifically).

For all of the hand-waving about VPFs, it seems that they either did not apply to many independents or that the terms were so bad that many chose not to sign up for them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: