Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Eastman Kodak Co.???? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Eastman Kodak Co.????
Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2013 11:53 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something that has always puzzled me over the decades that I have
been involved in motion picture projection and film collecting;
is why didn't Eastman Kodak ever manufacture a 35mm Theatrical Type projector.

Here is a Company that not only made the filmstock supplied to the Industry
but also made some of the finest professional 16mm projectors,as well as the
AV field.It certainly wouldn't have been lack of knowledge of being able to
produce a projector that would have been on par or superior to the best
projectors in the industry.

My only assumption is they thought the sales of 35mm Theatrical Equipment wouldn't
be up to par volume wise compared to what they produce for the AV Field or even the
Television Industry where they are selling thousands of projectors annually.

Having owned an Eastman 30 for more than 40+ years,I'm 100% sure that if they
had decided to produce 35mm projectors for the industry,they would of had a
5 star rating IMHO......

I did however see a 35mm projector a number of years ago that had Kodak badging on the pedestal and I believe on one side of the projector case.The projector looked like a DEVRY XD though. maybe somebody for a joke put Kodak badges on it...

|  IP: Logged

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2013 12:43 PM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patents, perhaps?

EKC was never in the position to even think of a possibility of attacking that market. Others have gotten hold of it before. There were the Eidoloscope with a four-to-one ratio gearing between main shaft and shutter shaft, the Kinedrome, the LeRoy-Lauste “marvellous cinematograph” with beater, the European apparatuses like what the Lumière exported, Gaumont, Continsouza-Bünzli-Pathé. Nine out of ten projectors in the 1914 USA were French.

I don’t think EKC 16-mm. projectors belong to the finest. Bell & Howell Co. made way better machines. Ampro were also among the reliable ones along with RCA and the almost unknown Diksi (1938).

EKC focused on cameras. There they had a portfolio of valuable patents, made in house. The Ciné-Kodak Special (1933) even made Paillard pause with their H camera project for more than three years. It must be admitted that the Swiss also wanted to learn about the development of the Double-Eight film format, since summer 1932. The CKS remained one of the top small-gauge cameras until the arrival of the ARRIFLEX 16 in 1952.

Eastman-Kodak wouldn’t have had the slighest chance of success in Europe against AEG, Bauer, ERKO, Ernemann, ICA, Leitz, Liesegang, Messter, Nitzsche, Zeiss-Ikon, to name only some German brands. Philips, Fedi, and Meopta come to mind, too.

Eastman-Kodak made a lot of money with film, for long years. Television caused a boost with 16-mm. film consumption in the 1950s and 1960s. DuPont made ciné films, Ansco, and Dynacolor in the US. There were a lot more film manufacturers the world over. Agfa, Agfa-Gevaert, As Graffe & Jougla, Astra, Azomureş, Barnes, Bauchet, Blair, Brifco, Carbutt, Crumière, Edwards, Eisenberg, Ferrania, Fotochema, Fotokémia, Fotokemika, Fuji, Gevaert, Glanzfilm, Gloria, Goerz, Guilleminot, Hauff, Herzog, Ilford, Indu, Kalle, Konica, KFG, Kranz, Kuibisheff, Lignose, Lumière, 3M, Mafe, Mimosa, NPG, Negra, Nobel, Northern, Oriental, Pathé, Perutz, Planchon, Rotary, Schering, Schleussner Adox, Selo, Slavitch, SMPIC, Svema, Tellko, Tientsing, Tura, Typon, Valca, Voigtländer, Wellington & Ward, Westendorp & Wehner, Wolf Walsrode. EKC was the biggest.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-22-2013 02:18 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little known fact is that Kodak never made cameras. All those millions of cameras were farmed out to local machine and sheet metal shows. (Same for Polaroid.) That is why there are so many even now in Rochester.

Shiped in-the-box directly to wholesalers. louis

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2013 03:16 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps with the market already well supplied the return on investment wasn't there for Kodak. Same I suppose for Bell & Howell.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-22-2013 10:25 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do Shell and Exxon not make cars? Why does Microsoft not make PCs? Why don't Boeing and Airbus run their own airlines? Why doesn't McDonald's produce its own food?

I'm guessing the answer to be that big businesses work most effectively when they're focused on a single product or service, and don't try to combine all the processes of a given industry under one roof.

At the very beginning of the film industry, they did: the Lumieres in France, Hepworth and Paul in Britain, Messter in Germany and Edison in the United States all manufactured and sold hardware, and made films. But this business model ended within a decade and a half. Part of the reason (in the US) was the MPPC antitrust ruling, which effectively ruled that the companies that sold the technology also controlling film production was illegal. And of course it was to escape from the clutches of the MPPC that the moguls headed west from New York to California and turned Hollywood from a bunch of orange groves into ... well, Hollywood. And so that gulf between the companies that made the technology and the companies that made the movies now has a 90-year history behind it.

But it doesn't explain why integrating the production of technology with the production of movies using it was never really a successful business model in the first place.

16mm is arguably a bit of an exception, because the format was invented and launched by EK as an amateur filmmaking system (a widely told story is that 16mm is the width it is because George Eastman was determined that nitrate film should never get into the hands of amateurs on safety grounds: 16mm cannot be made by slitting 35mm down the middle, and so this reduced the risk of third-party resellers marketing their own 16mm stock by buying 35mm nitrate in bulk and slitting it). When it was launched in 1923, no third-party manufacturer made cameras and projectors for 16mm, and so EK had to if it was to sell. As Louis points out, EK never made consumer hardware in-house anyway: manufacturing was subcontracted out.

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2013 08:16 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
When it was launched in 1923, no third-party manufacturer made cameras and projectors for 16mm, and so EK had to if it was to sell. As Louis points out, EK never made consumer hardware in-house anyway: manufacturing was subcontracted out.
The Bell & Howell Filmo camera was ready for sale December 1923. The first 16-mm. camera and projector available were by Alexander Victor of Davenport in August 1923. http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/msc/tomsc200/msc153/smpte.htm

The Ciné-Kodak got out in 1924.

The whole 16-mm. safety film project was developed by Bell & Howell Co. http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Products/Production/Spotlight_on_16/Why_16_mm/newWave.htm

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-23-2013 09:11 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"A joint venture..." ; "...EK and B & H agreed to...". Apologies: forgot that the launch range of 16mm cameras wasn't EK-badged. However, the essential point still stands: EK never were primarily in the business of making and selling consumer (or professional, for that matter) hardware. When they had to market their own badged hardware in order to support their new film formats (e.g. 16mm and Super 8 for moving image, or 110 and 126 for still), it was actually made by others. B & H weren't going to launch 16mm hardware on their own: it had to be a joint venture, presumably with EK offering some sort of minimum sales guarantee or other contractual provision to limit the risk to B & H (must look at my copy of Alan Kattelle's book when I can next get my hands on it - he would say if this was the case). The Eastman line of theatrical 16mm projectors (were they actually made at Kodak Park?) seems to be the exception which proves that general rule.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-23-2013 11:37 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who made the Kodak silent studio 16mm camera the model R

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2013 11:37 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also wondered why back in the day that the 17.5mm format didn't become what 16mm did.Slicing 35mm film in half would have seen more viable and less costly than having to mfg a new type film stock with a different perforation design.the frame would have been larger than 16mm and should of produced a superior quality image.

I knew super 16mm wasn't going to last; standard 16mm had been out too long and adapted to television and the AV field for decades but 17.5 was back far enough that it should have been the std....

BTW: Does anybody up here have anything 17.5 related? I'm not even sure what companies made projectors for the format. I wish that it would have become the standard rather than 16mm,even though I have a library of 16 myself...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-23-2013 02:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16mm was chosen to make it un-attractive to slit 35mm nitrate film into a home market

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-24-2013 10:41 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super 16 was/is an acquisition format only. You don't make Super 16mm prints except work prints and answer prints as part of the post production process (probably all gone over to digital post by now). Not sure what you mean by "wouldn't last." Super 16 may outlast regular 16.

17.5mm did exist in the form of full coat mag for sound mixing. It was run at the 90 fpm rate like 35mm locked to 16mm. Greatly improved sound quality but obviously less costly.

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2013 03:03 PM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Split film (17.5 mm) was already used at the turn of the century. Later in WWI it was revived by Bell & Howell.

Charles Pathé and George Eastman agreed after WWI that only safety film should be given to the homes, the then giant sleeping market. In 1919 Eastman-Kodak and BH startet the 5/8" film gauge project. 16 mm became a parallel designation and took over in right only when the European players joined the game.

The Ciné-Kodak K was made by the EKC. EKC also made lenses at the Hawkeye Works they owned. The Chicago gang around Bell & Howell Co. had a deep grip on the business. It got narrowed by the loss of the professional studio camera field to the Mitchell Corp. but the reaction was well prepared. BH could actually play with many conceptual possibilities from the basic design of the motion-picture camera they had. In 1912 it was at hand, the first all-metal camera, model 2709. The Autoload, the Filmo, the Eyemo, each and every model goes back to it.

With the projectors BH first followed the general layout of both reels in front of the body, example Filmo. When it was decided to build a sound projector they rearranged the reels with one in front and one at the rear of the body, the film undergoing the lamp house. That design remained unaltered with portable 16-mm. film projectors from the first Filmosound of 1934 until today.

I always wondered why Kern of Aarau never entered the field of projection lenses for 35-mm. film.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-24-2013 03:08 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have been a number of 17.5 mm formats over the years. There were several such formats, both edge and centre perforated, within a few years of the introduction of 35 mm film. All were silent of course.

web page

The Pathe Rural format lasted long enough to gain a sound track. This was quite an interesting format, and the only 17.5 mm one which I have actually seen projected. The perforations were smaller than those on 16 mm, and fitted between the rounded corners of the frames; this enabled a considerably larger frame size than on 16 mm. If the format had lasted long enough for a modern projector to be developed for it, say a 17.5 mm Kinoton xenon machine, it should have been quite impressive.

The 17.5 mm magnetic stock which Steve K used to be readily available in London.

17.5 mm was also there in the earliest days of public broadcast television; the Baird Intermediate Film system, briefly used by the BBC in 1936, used a film of this gauge.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-24-2013 04:45 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
who made the eastman cinespecial II and the studio camera

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-24-2013 09:28 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's an interesting postscript to the 17.5mm story. By the outbreak of WWII, it was in relatively widespread use (under the 'Pathé-Rural' badge, as Stephen notes) in France, but pretty much nowhere else. As a result, anti-Nazi propaganda films began to be distributed on the format when the French film industry came under occupation (as a sidebar, Henri-Georges 'The Wages of Fear' Clouzot's refusal to participate in resistance-related filmmaking was part of the reason for him being ostracised from the French film industry in the aftermath of the war, and being accused of pro-Nazi sympathies by some to this day), in response to which the German occupying forces were given orders to remove every projector and other 17.5mm-related piece of hardware they could find out of circulation and destroy it.

There are snippets of information and references to this in various history books dealing with French and German cinema during the war, but AFAIK no-one has yet researched and written up the whole story. Doing this would probably need some hard core research in the Cinémathèque Française, the Bundesarchiv and the Berlin film museum, and neither my language skills nor the location of my new home make this a really viable project for me; but I'm hoping that a Europe-based historian will do it at some point.

The same thing happened in reverse in China in the '70s with the 8.75mm gauge. The French Resistance used a non-standard format in an attempt to screen material that the authorities would not allow: in China, the authorities themselves used a non-standard format, software production for which they controlled completely, in order to prevent their citizens from viewing unauthorised material.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: