Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ALTEC LANSING 800 VOT story!!!

Author Topic: ALTEC LANSING 800 VOT story!!!
Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2013 11:13 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to a wedding awhile back, when I got to the reception I noticed the
band they hired setting up their equipment.I could hardly believe it until
I got really close and saw a mint condition ALTEC LANSING 800 voice of the
theaters that belong to the lead guitarist who also had a stratocaster.

I asked him where he got it, he said his uncle owned a small one screen theater
in a little hick town here in Montana in the 50's.When it closed in the 70's
The projection equipment got sold but the Uncle put the 800 in storage somewhere
for over 25 years.When he got in the music biz,The uncle said he had this old
system that was in his theater and he could have it if he wanted it.

To make a long story short, the guy took it to a shop here in town, had all the vaccumn
tubes checked,caps, etc.Everything inside was as cherry as the outside looked.Anyway
they played all night and that thing sounded awesome.Goes to show that even 60 year
old tech still cuts the mustard.That Guy will have that 800 til the day he dies;thats
how much it means to him....Those old vaccumn tube amps aren't dead yet...s.m.

|  IP: Logged

Robert Koch
Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2013 06:05 PM      Profile for Robert Koch   Email Robert Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`m a 91 year old tech and I think you are confused. The Altec 800 system had no vacuum tubes, just the baffle and horn and passive crossover.. You should tell us what amplifier you are talking about that the old time tech fixed for you. Altec made some good amplifiers; which one are you talking about.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2013 11:00 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`m a 91 year old tech and I think you are confused. The Altec (800 system had no vacuum tubes, just the baffle and horn and passive crossover.. You should tell us what amplifier you are talking about that the old time tech fixed for you. Altec made some good amplifiers; which one are you talking about.)

He never fixed it for me;I'm just quoting what the Musician told me...s.m.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-17-2013 11:44 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One great thing about all the VOT systems..it took very little audio power to get to room-filling levels. The late Charlie Ajar (of Universal Projector Co. N. Hollywood) once used a cheap Radio Shack AM transistor radio to drive a VOT speaker to a very loud (yet clear) level in our shop. Using the radio's earphone jack.

I was duly impressed.

Oh, and Steve, a few notes:

One, use the "QUOTE" Button and cut and paste quoted text so your post reads coherently. Like this:

quote: Steve Matz
He never fixed it for me;I'm just quoting what the Musician told me...s.m.
(Also, it is actually unnecessary to quote the post directly above yours if you are only replying to it. If you add something else before you respond, as I did in this post, it is a good idea TO quote the previous post though.)

Two, it is totally unnecessary (and candidly very pompous) to end your posts with your initials ("s.m.") We know who you are. [Smile]

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2013 03:20 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An ice rink I managed late 80's/early 90's had a two VOT speakers, one out by the rink and one inside. They rocked the place, supplied by music from a boom-box and one tiny amp.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-19-2013 07:57 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A4 are still in my top list of speakers

Robert Koch
Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2013 02:03 PM      Profile for Robert Koch   Email Robert Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Gordon; A4x was mine.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-19-2013 02:59 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They tore down a cinerama and moved all the speakers across the street. They then converted the 70mm house to mono. What to do: We made an A-0x. It had 6 sets of 2 515's. That was powered with a 22 watt kelmar. Plenty of level whn running at 4.5. 1500 seats. louis

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2013 10:18 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This won't come as a surprise to anyone, but years ago (probably 50!) I had a school installation with a pair of E-7's which normally drove an A4 with a small Altec amp, but on occasion we'd show 16mm and that A4 did just fine with an 8 watt Pageant driving it. Gorgeous sound.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-20-2013 12:15 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A4's with the wings are hard to surpass. I have one Atmos setup with 20 Meyer surrounds and 3 A4's. The HF horns were replaced by JBL CD horns. Also, the bass cabinets were modified for lower LF roll off by Lonny Jennings.

They play very nicely alongside the awesome Meyer speakers.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-20-2013 04:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, a modified A-4 has pretty decent bass, actually. Easily flat down to 40Hz. On the HF...I always liked the Altec Manatrays (MR-94) best over all other CD horns. VERY uniform coverage. That and with a 288 or 299 behind them.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-10-2013 07:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam.... I'll never forget the awesome talk John Meyer gave in Dolby Training Class circa 1984. I think he put most people in the class to sleep but he kept me wide awake. He was testing speakers outdoors back then. An amazing engineer for sure!

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: