Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » panavision hylen system???

Author Topic: panavision hylen system???
Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2013 12:44 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I realize that this video is over 6 years old,but I've been out of the loop for over 8 years and haven't been able to keep up with technological changes that seem to have come to the industry in the last 10 year.Since I'm not up to date on the latest tech that is incorporated into High speed optical printers and maybe they incorporate something similar to this hylen focusing system;but after watching this video I'm thinking that if this optical focusing system was used on high speed printers that you could achieve a high quality print that would be like having been contact printed where the resolution,focus,steadyness,etc.is far superior to what optical printers normally turn out for release prints.

I know that digital seems to be the future but as long as there is still film being shot and processed it would be beneficial to still be able to produce the best quality print possible with the speed that that is needed to produce large numbers of prints.I was just commenting on a 16mm forum about how the quality of my Castle film collection.The prints that I have from the 50's verses the ones from the 70's when Calvin Labs was doing Castle and Blackhawks processing are heads and tails apart.The prints from the 50's are far superior in resolution,focus,steadyness,etc.than the 70's prints. I believe this is attributed to Whatever Lab castle used back then was contact printing their release prints.I know the B&W film stock back then had higher silver content which probably helped picture resolution,but I personal dislike high speed printing.I know everything is about time and money in his age but I would like people to have the pride and workmanship that the older generation had.Watching film prints that aren't rock steady,in focus,etc. is not enjoyable...s.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YJ5VGNfJJ8

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: