Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Brenkert Question ???? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Brenkert Question ????
Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2013 05:21 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always wanted to know if Brenkert was a division or subsidiary of RCA.Most of our older defunct Drive-ins here used Brenkert equipment.The oldest used BX40 Projectors and the newest used BX80s.The projectionist for the BX80s thought they were great and he rated them right up there at the Top.I know RCA made 16mm AV projectors as well as TV projectors like the TP6 & 66 but did they ever produce any 35mm projectors that said RCA on them besides the Soundheads?...TIA...sm [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2013 06:30 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lot of old RCA sales literature here, and I know they distributed
Brenkert equipment and at some point took over the Brenkert company.
There's an old thread that has a lot of RCA/Brenkert info HERE

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2013 01:02 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jim, That was a History lesson Galore...Great info...sm [Wink]

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2013 12:52 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To confirm what Jim said I have run RCA machines that looked exactly like the Brenkerts.

Robert Koch
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2013 05:32 PM      Profile for Robert Koch   Email Robert Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karl Brenkert made stage arc spotlights,Brenograph effect machines.arc steropticans long before he brought out his BX 80 projector in 1939. The association with RCA came later. RCA never ever manufactured a projector. They only had a decal that they applied to the Brenkert projectors. The original BX 80 was a radical innovation at the time. Full oil bath, counter rotating rear shutters and a fine intermittent movement among other things that I cant remember at my advanced age. The real bad thing about Brenkerts was that they drove so tough. You would lose the top bronze gear in an RCA or Simplex SH 1000 soundhead long before you would on Simplex, Century, Motiograph and other projectors. Brenkerts enarc lamp also could be operated with no cone, half cone, or full cone depending on which mirror you installed 34", 31" or 29!/2 " for drive ins. For this reason you could always get more lite than a Magnarc that could only accomadate a 34" mirror.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2013 05:50 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran a Brenkert BX-60 here at my drive-in in Tennessee for 5 years up until last December when we yanked all the 35mm stuff out for digital. Parts were very hard to come by, so I had several spare heads sitting at home int he garage to scavenge parts from if necessary.

I believe the BX-100's were badged "RCA" instead of Brenkert. I saw a pair of 100's at the Parkway Drive-in in Marysville, TN running 6000' change-overs. Don't know if they ever converted to digital or not, but I'm pretty sure the BX-100's were badged with the RCA plate instead of the Brenkert plate.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-11-2013 04:21 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The late Charlie Wolk said he did active negotiation in acquiring stock and manufacturing rights for Brenkert and RCA in the mid to late 1950's. He expected the hardware sales would last 20 years, so he was happy when sales continued way past that time frame.

Donald Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2013 03:18 PM      Profile for Donald Brown   Email Donald Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were there any Brenkert 100s manufactured that carried the unique Brenkert manufacturer's label that was common to the company's earlier machines?
Don Brown

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2013 04:45 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, all of the 100s I have seen through the years had the RCA 'meatball' in the operating door glass and the interior model ID plate was Brenkert Model BX-100. After Brenkert mfg. was shut down, RCA contracted with Century to supply a model P-100 which was a run of the mill HH model with curved water cooled trap and the RCA meatball on the door as well as a RCA ID plate where the normal Century ID plate was on the front of the machine. It was also painted the usual RCA brown wrinkle on the outside, and Navajo white (cream) colored interior. Normally coupled to a MI-9030 or MI-9050. They sold through the 1950s up until Wolk purchased all the motion picture assets of RCA and Brenkert in the very early 1960s. Of course, even with the Century, the supplied changeover was the H model Zipper but had the RCA name on it!

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-11-2013 09:18 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the same thing as John, even the Zippers was RCA badged, plus Ashcrafts badged RCA.

I serviced a DI with an all RCA booth, even the indoor junction boxes were RCA brown.

Then there were the outdoor and indoor speakers...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-12-2013 01:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was even a Century branded with the RCA Meatball n the glass and I think it was the Model H. I;ve only ever seen one of those. Musta been sold after the Brenkerts were discontinued...

Mark

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-12-2013 02:15 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is also that Brenkert made their models up through the 80. RCA only branded the 100, which, as I recall, was the hardest to drive. Earlier Brenkerts seemed to be no problem.

It was a good marketing idea, I think... RCA branded everything, whether they made it or not. Made for a nice turnkey booth.

I don't recall seeing an arc lamp power supply though. The drive-in I grew up at was mostly RCA, except for the well-used Wenzel Ace projectors and the Hobart generator.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-12-2013 02:42 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hobart?!? As in, the people who make restaurant equipment?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-12-2013 03:22 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of the shear pin in the Brenkert main drive. It would break from time to time as a testament as to how hard the sound head was working to drive the picture head.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 11-12-2013 08:54 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Hobart?!? As in, the people who make restaurant equipment?
The same. They make welders, too. Our generator was a 15 horse job. A fan was mounted in the middle of the common shaft, and blew on a side-mounted ballast. Other than cleaning the commutator now and then and giving the bearings a little grease, it was reliable up to the day they converted to xenon. I think we only changed the brushes once or twice in the 40 some-odd years it ran.

quote: Sam D. Chavez
Reminds me of the shear pin in the Brenkert main drive. It would break from time to time as a testament as to how hard the sound head was working to drive the picture head
I ran through a couple of paper clips before I learned to keep spare pins onhand.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: