Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Shaky Picture with a motiograph (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Shaky Picture with a motiograph
Christopher Lani
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2013 03:37 PM      Profile for Christopher Lani   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Lani   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello You all! I am really in a bind. I am still running a Motiograph AA 35mm projector. It has been running fine but all of a sudden the image is beginning to shake and shimmy. I replaced the intermittent gear assembly and the shoe that holds the film. I am still getting a shaky image with a copy of "FreeBirds" Is there anything else I can adjust or try to stabilize the image? That you so much!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-05-2013 04:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be that the sprocket teeth are hooked badly. No amount of extra gate tension and so on can fix that. Only a new sprocket will and they are NLA or you have to salvage one off another projector. Examine the teeth carefully to see if the are undercut on the pull side of the teeth. I know where there are a couple AA's sitting if you get in a bind.

Second guess would be too little gate tension from worn parts. Try holding back on the film at the top of the gate to see if the steadiness is improved.

Last guess would be a loose lens element. Especially if you have a certain era of Schneider lens. They did not locktite the retaining ring in place and the front or the rear element can come loose just enough to cause a shake in the image. I actually had this happen at a number of locations.

Hope this helps...

Mark

Christopher Lani
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2013 04:45 PM      Profile for Christopher Lani   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Lani   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark, Great places to start. I will keep you informed. This old machine had played magnificently up until know.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-05-2013 06:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theya re still excellent projectors if you have the parts stash to keep em running...

Donald Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2013 08:42 PM      Profile for Donald Brown   Email Donald Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher:
Check the lateral guide rollers above and below the aperture. While they were prone to bind from dirt that would collect around their inner retaining points, I have also found situations where roller alignment was thrown off when the set and lock screws loosened. The on screen image lost its stability as a result.
I still have a lot of new and used Motiograph parts if you need any.

Don Brown

Christopher Lani
Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2013 12:25 AM      Profile for Christopher Lani   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Lani   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Don! I am gonna tear into it tomorrow and I will let you know!

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2013 10:36 AM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry this isn't related to your problem...The last drive-in theater here in Billings,mt called the Motor-vu used motiograph AAA projectors with strong mighty 90 lamps.The projectionist was old school licensed electrician and he really was knowledgble about projectors.He and a lot of oldtimer projectioists from the 40's & early 50's thought Motiograph was the rolls Royce of 35mm projectors.He's been dead for years but you could listen to this guy for hours talking about running film in the 30's 40's 50's Motiograph and a lot of other Chicago based Mfgers like Devry all went under around 53-54....TV really killed the theatre business then. if no new theaters are being built and your not selling new equipment

Christopher Lani
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2013 02:19 PM      Profile for Christopher Lani   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Lani   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IS it possible that I just got a bad new print? Has this happened to anyone?

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2013 02:37 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's always a possibility. Have you tried running anything else (preferably something you know) to get a comparison?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-07-2013 02:43 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Christopher Lani
IS it possible that I just got a bad new print? Has this happened to anyone?
Absolutely. Take out the aperture plate and run the film (with the curtains wide open if that's an option). If the sprocket holes are steady but the picture is jumpy, you have a badly printed film.
Yes, it happens much more often than it should.

Donald Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2013 04:48 PM      Profile for Donald Brown   Email Donald Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher:
That occurred to me with your original posting.
It seemed unlikely that the picture would become unsteady abruptly. There would likely have been a noticeable change in the on screen image that gradually worsened.
Over the course of the 2013 summer season, there was a noticeable change in the overall quality of 35mm prints. It appeared as if an economy in production had been achieved as overall demand for prints declined.
Don Brown

Christopher Lani
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2013 05:27 PM      Profile for Christopher Lani   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Lani   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know how to actually get the intermittent cam out of the assembly on the motiograph aa?

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-07-2013 09:11 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a AA manual in the Warehouse that has step by step instructions.
It's been more than 20 years since I removed one, so can't help.

Donald Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2013 09:41 PM      Profile for Donald Brown   Email Donald Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher:
The Motiograph intermittent is rather simple to repair if you have the parts.
To disassemble the cam, start by removing the pin in the drive gear. Do this while the assembly is still intact to avoid putting pressure on the cam shaft while it is unsupported. Remove the inner collar from the threaded end of the cam shaft, and then separate the intermittent casting by removing the four screws that couple the two halves of the case.
As long as there are are no irregularities on the cam shaft, it should slide out of the brass cam bearing with little difficulty. This is where I have encountered a bit of resistance though as the outboard ball bearing on the cam shaft will frequently be frozen to the shaft. (This might not be the situation with yours if its from an indoor theatre that's been in continuous operation.)
If the bearing is frozen to the shaft, bring the assembly to a machine shop and have it pressed off.
The reassembly should go smoothly by reversing the above, not forgetting to replace the cover gasket and realigning the cam pin with the star.
I still have a number of new/rebuilt intermittents if you need one.
Good luck,
Don Brown

Christopher Lani
Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2013 03:26 AM      Profile for Christopher Lani   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Lani   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it ended up being a combination of the intermittent outer bearing being jammed which caused excessive wear on the two drive gears coming up from the RCA soundhead! Replaced all three and presto! A stable image! Now the picture is pulling up a little out of frame while playing. It only drifts up so much but it is still annoying. I notice that the shutter adjustment knob has to be turned all the way down and there is a faint whirring noise like something is not quite right. I am going to pull the Intermittent and advance the gears a little so that the adjustment is more to the middle of the shutter adjustment range. I think it might be torquing the intermittent a little and pulling the frame up. Is there a way to tighten the whole framing mechanism? Thanks for all the help from everyone here and the Claco tech in Salt Lake who hooked me up some parts in Idaho. Thanks for the offer Don, I may still hit you up for some parts!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: