Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dolby Cat. 243 & General Question

Author Topic: Dolby Cat. 243 & General Question
Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2013 05:34 PM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got my Dolby CP55 and it sounds very good, but some of the settings have been altered from the original factory specs. On Cat 243, the control logic card, I observed that someone changed the jumper block "wake up" wire from pin 4 (Dolby Surround) to pin 60 (non-sync). So when powered up, the processor defaults to "non-sync." OK--this is not a major problem, because when I then press the Dolby w/Surround format, the optical track plays normally. BUT, the "non-sync" LED remains on and the Dolby w/Surround LED remains off. But here's the real weird thing--if I try to change the format to "mono" the LED changes to "magnetic" and I get no sound at all from the optical track. I would note also that somewhere along the way the processor was wired to play DTS discs in the AUX format. Anyway, I wondering, would changing the wake up jumper wire back to "Dolby w/Surround" allow me to also switch manually to optical mono with no problem? Or is there something else I can do to make the mono format button work properly with an optical track? Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-27-2013 04:51 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like someone has added/moved/removed some of the diodes on the card to change the functions of some of the buttons. I've just looked at the CP-55 manual, but unfortunately it doesn't have a drawing of the card, which some of the older models did.

Can you borrow a card from somewhere to compare the diode positions? I think there was a card of this type on EBAY recently; I don't know if it's still there.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-27-2013 08:21 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This card was probably modified for an SRA5 or other external device.

The DA20 manual may have the drawings of the 243.

All else fails I have quite a stock of 243's.

Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2013 08:28 AM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for replying. I think you are correct. Looking at the board a little closer it appears someone modified it pretty closely to the diagram "Model SRA5 Installed Using Non-Sync Inputs" as shown in Section 3.2 here: http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/manuals/DOLBYCAT222.pdf Still not sure why this would disable Mono but I might be well enough just leaving it alone so long as the basic Dolby w/Surround is working. If the EQ on an older mono print sounds too off I suppose I could just switch it to "bypass."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: