Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 16mm print jittery

Author Topic: 16mm print jittery
James Collins
Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2013 07:57 PM      Profile for James Collins   Email James Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I recently bought an ib technicolor print of dumbo. I previewed the picture on my projector. And the print jumps around a bit.

I tested another print on my projector and it is rock steady.

So I am wondering what would cause a print to jitter, and is there anything I can do to stabilize the image?

|  IP: Logged

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2013 10:37 PM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print could be warped or have vinegar syndrome? What film stock is it on, polyester?, tri-acetate? Does it have a vinegar odor to it? You can try FilmGuard to make the film more flexible so it can run through the gate easier. If you can tell us more about the print itself, a more pinpoint answer can be given.

James Collins
Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2013 10:58 PM      Profile for James Collins   Email James Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No vinegar smell

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-17-2013 11:26 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the sprocket holes -- look really close with a loupe i.e., a magnifying glass, and see if there are any very small nicks in the side walls, usually at the corners. If there are, the only thing you can do is try Film-Guard which as said will give the print more elasticity as well as reduce friction for a smoother run. Then again, is your projector a portable with claw pulldown? Is it a two or three claw pulldown mechanism? Sometimes a combination of a worn claw playing a print with compromised sprocket hole walls will translate to jitter on the screen. Then again, you could try a 16mm projector with a sprocket drive intermittent -- an Eastman 25B 16mm projector could play prints with ease that had two and three sprocket holes totally torn away. Some projectors are hard on prints, some are much more gentle.

Singer turned their sewing machines into 16mm projectors -- same claw pull-down concept and mechanism, but their 16mm projectors always sounded exactly like their sewing machines and played prints in similar, agressive fashion -- their slogan could have been, Play a movie...Darn your socks on the same machine! [Big Grin]

James Collins
Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2013 09:13 AM      Profile for James Collins   Email James Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reran print on an old eiki, runs good?

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-18-2013 11:28 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be something as simple as adjusting gate tension?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-18-2013 01:00 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the problem one of jump (vertical unsteadiness) or weave (horizontal unsteadiness)?

The whole print does this (all reels)? And other prints run fine in the same projector, correct?

What happens if you show the IB print on another projector?

If the issue is jump (not weave), then my bet is on gate tension, although adjusting this is easier said than done on most 16mm projectors.

Are there any obvious physical problems with the print (torn sprockets, etc.)?

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2013 01:18 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Singer/Telex projectors do have adjustable gate tension. For the others, it's a question of gently extending the pressure plate springs until you get what you need. Of course, that's a "one way" proposition. You can't go back unless you start cutting the length of the springs.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-18-2013 03:51 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first plan of action in troubleshooting any projector that has been acting up is to clean it.

That doesn't necessarily imply that your projector is dirty but, in the act of cleaning, you'll have the opportunity to inspect, adjust and repair anything that needs it. Besides, it's a lot easier to work on a clean projector.

I don't know how many problems I have had which were solved just by giving the machine a good going over. So much so that, when a theater would call me with a vague problem like "unsteady image" or "fuzzy picture" my first response was to tell them to clean the projector and call me back.

With a 16mm, I'd say that cleanliness is even more important because everything is so much smaller.

Again, I'm not insinuating that your projector is dirty but I bet you a nickel that a good going over might help solve your problem or give you a good lead on what the problem really is.

Gary A. Hoselton
Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2013 10:48 PM      Profile for Gary A. Hoselton   Email Gary A. Hoselton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usual reasons for vertical jump in 16mm projector are:
1. Film too slick. Pull-down momentum is absorbed by friction in gate, and slickness means not enough friction. Get slickness by some dolt applying silicones or too much fresh FilmGuard. With pencil eraser, push top of pressure plate lightly against film to increase friction and see if film settles down; if so probably need to thoroughly clean print.
2. Variable perf distortion on forward edge.
3. Excess filmbase shrinkage, such that shuttle teeth may tick next perf.
4. Printing problem, but I don't recall that in IB Tech (sometimes horizontal weave, but not vertical jump).
5. Wear on shuttle teeth or in intermittant, but you've eliminated that because another print runs fine. A new or "green" print can have too much friction, but no IB Tech is likely in that catagory.
Let us know what you conclude.

Jeff Missinne
Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2013 07:21 PM      Profile for Jeff Missinne   Email Jeff Missinne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right about how a 16mm print can be too slick as well as dry or sticky. I used to hate handling prints treated with Filmagic Surfaset for that reason...awful stuff.

The old quick-dry film cleaners like Kodak or Ecco were great for removing silicone slickery, but they don't make 'em any more. Haven't tried Solvon, but a friend likes it very well.

I once cleaned a cartoon short over and over to try to eliminate a vertical bounce...then accidentally ran it out of frame and found the jitter was in the negative! [Embarrassed]

Brent Francis
Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2014 08:10 AM      Profile for Brent Francis   Author's Homepage   Email Brent Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's an idea - rack it down & check the frameline. Is the picture moving & the frame steady? Then it ain't you!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: