Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex projector oil (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Simplex projector oil
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2013 08:45 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So after reading some old posts about projector oil, is there a better lube to use in Simplex 35/70 heads than the stock oil? These machines run 70MM 30fps. They are idle for 9 months out of the year then used everyday for 3 months.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-16-2013 12:11 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
10 weight non detergent is the design oil for XL, Simplex and also Century. A little hard to find but Chevron GST ISO 32 will work. I never found it in less than 55 gallon drums. Louis

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-16-2013 12:37 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, Century oil and Simplex oil are the same thing? Even though they come in different cans?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-16-2013 02:07 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They aren't the same Scott...never have been. Simplex is lighter weight and a different color (odor)...etc.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-16-2013 02:59 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is right as usual. Damned annoying I must say.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-16-2013 07:29 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simplex oil has a certain percentage of varnish in it. I had Chevron run tests on several oils as well as a "clean slate" showing them an intermittent cutaway and supplying speeds and temperatures.

I never purchased Simplex again. Testing was done about 1986 using both old and new Simplex oil.

Ran new and old machines on this oil for over 25 years. Also Nick Malones dad used 30 weight non detergent oil from 1948 until his old century C's were scrapped (50+ years) We did his first intermittent overhauls, so it must have worked OK.

Must not be too critical as long as it doesn't leak out. Louis

Perhaps this is why the old projector heads were able to not leak; they had "stop-leak" in the oil. louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-16-2013 07:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SIMPLEX XL oil was originally a capella oil from texaco for refrigeration but is a non detergent 10 weight
Simplex E7 Super Regular Standard Ballantyne and century #20

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-16-2013 07:56 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't argue that Century oil will work in an XL but the point is they are not one and the same.

I ran Century movements on automatic transmission fluid and got years and years from them and it was easy to find the leak due to the color. The idea was auto fluid does not foam which seemed like a good idea in a movement.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2013 08:10 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So running these heads at 30fps with 70MM film, I should stick with regular simplex oil?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-16-2013 10:28 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say thinner Simplex oil is better for the XL Int. movement as it can kind of starve for oil being more or less a drip system.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-16-2013 10:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You people are all living in the Dark Ages... Think Synthetic on this equipment too! Then you can go 10,000 reels between oil changes...

LaVezzi HPO-4 is the best oil I've ever used. Expensive for sure but when you open up a 7 to 10 year old Ultramittent and the oil is still clean inside... that speaks for itself. Works fine in older Simplex's, Century's and DP-70's but it does list at 55.00 a gallon. Not for X-L's though as it's too heavy.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-20-2013 12:50 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can learn a lot from the MSDS data that's required to be available.
The history of Simplex oil is a bit complicated, but the recent product is not the same as what you got in the 50s/60s.
Simplex projector oil bought recently (since 1990 anyway) is compressor oil: C3 if I recall correctly (take a look at the MSDS to confirm). You can get a gallon jug of colored C3 oil quite cheap (Harbor Freight etc.) or order the clear type (like "real" Simplex oil) from an industrial supplier at more cost and a 5gal minimum - but the colored stuff is fine. Ballantyne oil is a thicker compressor oil - C4 I think. The oil used originally (Chevron spindle oil?) hasn't been available for decades.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-24-2013 12:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave...

Mobil Velocite Oil 10 is what most people are using in place of Chevron Spindle oil these days. It is the most readily available spindle oil around. It's about the same price as a gallon of "Simplex" oil from Strong... I have used it both in Simplex's and in my verticle mill spindle. Works perfect and is even available on Ebay from quarts up to 5 gallon pails. About $130 USD per 5 gallons.

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-24-2013 05:44 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

I don't know the source; it was in my booth when I got there. We have PR1014 X-L's.

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2013 07:46 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ilove dicussions about lubricants and what is best or better.I ran Singer sewing machine oil in my EASTMAN Model 30 from the time I changed the OEM oil from Kodak and its been doing great for decades.When I raced motorcycles back in the 60's BSA told us to run SAE 90w in the transmission.Probably lost 3 to 5 horsepower from the drag.used 50 weight from then on and never had any problems.I'm old school and believe synthetic oils are for lazy people that actually believe your engine should not need an oil change for 20k....

I am back on the film forum after an 8 year absence.I really got some catching up to do...Looks like digital is doing to film what flat screen TV's did to CRT televisions.Anyway it is good to be back.Is Ken Layton still up here? He was one of the more informed and knowledgable Guys when I was still on the forum....SM

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: