Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » source for 16mm reel bands?

Author Topic: source for 16mm reel bands?
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-24-2013 01:35 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for about 25 16mm reel bands of the type that Swank uses on their 16mm prints. They are made of thick plastic and have a metal clip that holds them together around the film. These are quite different in construction from standard 35mm paper reel bands, but they serve the same purpose. Who makes/sells these?

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2013 11:59 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Scott: Why don't you ask the guys over at 16mm Film Talk?

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 09-25-2013 07:18 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks; will do.

More information: these bands say "Pro-Tex" on them. Google says that the trademark has not been renewed, but that it was previously owned by Anderson Industries in Cleveland.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-25-2013 10:23 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
up here every one had a painted cloth reel band similar to what the censor board issued for 35mm

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-25-2013 01:30 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't mind my asking, and with apologies for veering this potentially off topic, but are these bands to use on prints in regular use or in long-term storage?

If the 16mm prints in question are polyester this doesn't really matter, but if they're triacetate then film in long-term storage needs to breathe, or else the build-up of acetic acid vapour between the film pack and the flanges of the reels, and around the edges of the film pack if sealed with a band, can accelerate the vinegar syndrome process and cause the film to decay faster than otherwise.

In an ideal world, acetate film elements should be in long term storage on/in an inert polypropylene core/container, and preferably in a vented can and in a vault with good air circulation (to get rid of acetic off-gases) and temperature and humidity control (to keep the rate of deacetylation to a minimum).

Obviously, most of us are not in an ideal world, but what struck me here is that putting bands around film elements that are going to be in long-term storage could be making a problem worse. But if they're to protect regularly projected prints in shipping, then no problem.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 09-25-2013 05:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are for polyester prints intended for projection.

Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2013 01:15 PM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I have a slitter that will convert paper 35mm reel bands to 16mm. It cuts right down the middle so the string attachment is unaffected. I can make as many as you need for 25 cents each. Just send me some unwanted 35mm reel bands. Email for more information edinman@earthlink.net

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 10-02-2013 11:52 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Ed. I still want the plastic ones, but I will be in touch if they cannot be located.

Gary A. Hoselton
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2013 10:57 PM      Profile for Gary A. Hoselton   Email Gary A. Hoselton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try Steve Newton in Atlanta. He has an amazing range of goodies. sanewton@bellsouth.net

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: