Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS Bad Reel?

Author Topic: DTS Bad Reel?
Erik Lallucci
Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2013 08:08 PM      Profile for Erik Lallucci   Email Erik Lallucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the print Meet the Parents and I notice that reel One displays REEL 13 for that reel and once it gets to the rest of the reels (2-ect) it is perfectly fine.

Is this bad code on reel one?

I am running a DTS6AD

Thanks

Erik

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-17-2013 08:25 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the sound play in DTS?
Is it in sync?

If yes to both, don't worry about it.

DTS occasionally had odd reel numbers on some discs for some unknown reason... (revised versions of that reel's track perhaps?)

Erik Lallucci
Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2013 06:12 AM      Profile for Erik Lallucci   Email Erik Lallucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no DTS playback from reel one. I have to use the analog stereo until it reaches reel 2.

Also the DTS timecode light is a solid green (which looks normal).

Thanks

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-18-2013 06:40 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had that happen a time or two. I think the problem is a poorly-printed time code on the reel in question.

Erik Lallucci
Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2013 09:04 AM      Profile for Erik Lallucci   Email Erik Lallucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That't what I was thinking. Thanks for the info.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2013 06:14 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The usual reason for odd reel numbers is to accommodate alternate versions - often there are two versions of Reel 1, one for the domestic distributor and another for international with a different order to the opening studio logos. It may be that you have an international print but a domestic disc, or vice versa (normally we try to include all versions on the mass-produced discs, but sometimes the post schedules don't allow that).

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2013 03:36 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I suspected - Reel 1 is the Universal domestic reel, Reel 13 was a DreamWorks Reel 1 for international distribution. You have a set of domestic discs that are missing the International Reel 1.

Erik Lallucci
Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2013 05:59 AM      Profile for Erik Lallucci   Email Erik Lallucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Daniel,
That makes sense. It has the Dreamworks logo and another logo before the Dreamworks. I am curious to look at the leader see if it has any indication of a Domestic or international print.
Also, what the logo is before the Dreamworks.

It looks like I would need to find the international discs or a domestic copy of reel one?

Thanks

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: