Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS reader mounting screws - what size thread?

Author Topic: DTS reader mounting screws - what size thread?
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-15-2013 06:00 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is the thread for the screws to attach the reader head to the mounting bracket? I can't find anything that fits it. Is it a UNC thread?

Also, what are the socket head screws, seem to be 3/8" of some sort, used to attach an American style reel arm to the top of a Century projector?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-15-2013 01:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DTS reader uses 10-24 screws

And yes, American projectors use 3/8" thread on the upper reel arms and 5/16" on the lower.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-15-2013 03:01 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Steve; they're not very common over here but I've found a source for them in small packs.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2013 02:33 PM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI: The 3/8s are 3/8-16 (16 threads-per-inch), or 'coarse' thread.

There's a good chart on UNF screw threads, taps, etc. here:
UNF screw chart

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-27-2013 02:33 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they're basically similar to our old BSW Whitworth and BSF threads, but with a 60 degree angle thread form rather than 55 degrees. Whitworth threads still show up in odd places, tripod mounting screws for cameras are 1/4 or 3/8 inch Whitworth for example, but almost all normal things are metric here now, and have been for a long time. That table brings back horrible memories of the old letter and number size drills; it's all so much easier in metric.

UNC are obtainable here, but are not very widely used. I've managed to get the ones I need.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: