Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Century rebuilding

Author Topic: Century rebuilding
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-06-2013 07:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anyone still around that does Century rebuilding or at minimum cosmetic work?

I have a pair of JJs that have been mechanically rebuilt, but cosmetically are a disaster. I was going to have Hadden do the work, but they closed their doors a long time ago. I then sought out other companies still working with film and have had no luck.

Is there anyone out there that at minimum could take these 2 shells (if I pre-strip them down) and make them like new with a hammertone finish?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-06-2013 10:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not all that difficult to do it your self depending on the hammertone paint you use. Industrial Hammertone in gallons is a pain, has to be mixed and can be fairly dangerous paint to use without a respirator or proper paint booth. Charlie Wolk sent me to the place he bought paint from back in the mid 80's and that was a place called Quality Finishes or Quality COatings... or what ever... but it appears they are out of business. Their grey hammertone had to be oven dried... it would only air dry to a point which was still a little tacky.

Hammerite is easy and once it is dry to the touch you can bake it on in any old oven at ~160 degrees for about a half hour. It comes out as a high gloss finish when baked on and it is also much harder when baked. Above all do not powder coat them! There is some great hammertone powder coat finishes avaiable but... one mistake and the paint at your mistake area more or less has to be machined off, plus you can never really ever strip it down to bare metal again if need be. I only used the latter approach on old Simplex's that did not have heat treated main castings and leaked badly. Powder coat seals those right up and they leak very little. Strong's paint line was all powder coat however projector castings and such were powder coated before they were machined.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2013 11:55 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had Lighting Images Technology in Riverside do mine. Very nice job, I think. I'll email you some pictures.

Gary Wachter
Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2013 04:03 PM      Profile for Gary Wachter   Email Gary Wachter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad,

Check out Xtreme Powder Coating on Main Street in Grand Prairie near 360. They have performed an excellent job on several projects for me.

This is the only shop I found that can powdercoat hammertone and wrinkle finishes.

www.xtremepowdercoating.com
2446 W. Main
Grand Prairie, TX 75050

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-09-2013 12:12 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
International Cinema in Miami was set up to do this back in the late-1990s, when I dealt with them on a regular basis. Maybe they still do it.

Hammertone on the outside, and a white (or off-white) finish inside.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2013 09:47 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, ICECO still advertises full rebuilding/refinishing services for 35mm equipment, along with upgrades, etc. Not endorsing them but simply confirming that Steve still does that kind of work.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2013 02:47 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad and Gary

I am currently restoring 3 E-7's,a Century and a few Simplex and RCA soundheads.

I have taken the E-7 parts to several Fort Worth area coaters, and all have been a bust. Several of these powder coaters have told me on the phone that yes, they do custom restorations and have asked me to bring in parts for an estimate. Once they see the parts, they don't want to touch them: stripping, masking and outgassing pose too many problems. I have had upwards of $1000.00 estimates. Also, powder coaters claim not to be able to do 2-tones.

A friend of mine has a media blast set-up, so I will strip myself. I am now going to take my parts to a few custom rod shops to get estimates on epoxy painting.

Unfortunately, I just do not have the facility to paint at home. However, I will call Extreme Powder Coating.

Brad, on cast iron pieces, you may attempt to chemical strip yourself Jasko, wash in hot, soapy water, use a chemical paint-prep etcher and paint with Duplicolor hi-temp ceramic auto engine enamels. Stripper is available at Home Depot, Pep Boys, etc. The etchants and paints at Pep Bopys, etc...

Cheers

Will Kutler

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: