Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Advice: Ultra Short Throw 16mm Projection

Author Topic: Advice: Ultra Short Throw 16mm Projection
Michael Gerrity
Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2013 11:12 AM      Profile for Michael Gerrity   Email Michael Gerrity   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a film student at The School of the Art Institute of Chicago and I'm getting ready to put on a performance with live 16mm projections. For the piece I would ideally like to place the projector about 8-10 feet away from an 8x6 foot screen (or larger if I can). I know this is an extremely short throw for 16mm, but I'm wondering if there are any projector/lens combinations or DIY solutions that would satisfy my constraints.

Thanks in advance!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-29-2013 11:15 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
20mm is about as short as I normally saw for 16mm projectors.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2013 12:26 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and with lenses that short you will need to watch out for vignetting, distortion, and other artifacts. Many of them are very slow, too. Good luck.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-29-2013 12:31 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is folding the light path with mirrors an option? Or rear projection?

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2013 02:27 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd agree with Scott that rear-projection is probably the way you're going to want to go with this, particularly if there's performing going on in the foreground.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-29-2013 02:48 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buhl optical used to make some very short focal lens

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-29-2013 04:30 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago, Buhl custom made two .75in lenses for us for two Eastman 25Bs....you could focus only about 75% of the image in the center. It wasn't what I would call a raging success story.

As Scott suggests, rear screen is usually the way to go for those combination projects where you need to have live-action and projection together. It give you the option of using mirrors to expand the image to a decent size without necessarily needing to futz with esoteric lenses that are not off-the-shelf items. And with 16mm long gone as a thriving format, finding even off-the-shelf lenses for particular projector models is not an easy task.

Is it at all possible that you can use rear screen in your setup?

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2013 04:41 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually have a pair Schneider 30mm, or .78" lenses which are terrific. Of course they're Schneiders, and had I not made a steal on ebay I wouldn't own them. To pick up on an earlier comment, though, you'll frequently find right angle rear projection Buhls on the second hand market, and they're definitely intended for short throws. Sorry, but I can't recall the specs.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-29-2013 06:37 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What brand of projector.....on museum displays I have used an auxiliary magnifier mounted on an adjustable arm on a plate in front of the prime lens.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-30-2013 12:16 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found that the Buhl lenses to be VERY wanting...they catered to the A/V world that needed something that fit...they never traded on being really good.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-30-2013 09:33 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buhl traded on being 1st with a solution when there was nothing to reference to....military optics where a large part of their output.

Michael Gerrity
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2013 01:08 AM      Profile for Michael Gerrity   Email Michael Gerrity   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much everyone for your help! I really appreciate it.

Rear projection is not an option since I will be rear projecting video onto the screen as well. For the performance I want the film images to overlay the performers, and the film projector is very much apart of the piece.

Although I would like to get the image as crisp as possible, it's not the end of the world if it's not perfect. I'm blowing up some super 8 footage to 16, but otherwise the images are going to be pretty grungy and experimental. Someone on another forum suggested I get a wide angle lens adapter that's used for video cameras and put that in front of the lens. They said a X .75 lens would give me a 50% increase in image size, and a X .5 would give me a 100% increase. Does anyone have experience with this?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-01-2013 04:40 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Schneider do a 10mm lens, but it ain't cheap.

There are some people who fit the zoom lenses supplied as standard with Super 8 consumer projectors into sleeves to enable them to fit into 16mm machines. However, the resulting quality is a bit of a crapshoot. I'm got a Eumig 18-30mm zoom in a 42.5mm sleeve for my Eiki portables, and it's actually not bad. In our campus theatre (horseshoe-shaped auditorium), which has around a 10m throw to a screen that's about 4m by 3, you can just see a little bit of vignetting around the edges if the print being shown is very crisp and sharp and you're really looking for it; but otherwise I'm quite impressed with it.

However, when I explained this to a visiting experimental filmmaker (who only had the standard issue 50mm lenses on her projectors), she went and bought one on Ebay. The lens in the collar was a no-name one: the vignetting was seriously bad, and it absorbed a lot more light, too (she came in and we did a side-by-side comparison).

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2013 09:15 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One person who does rebarreled 8mm and 16mm lenses as Leo mentioned is Omer Whayne. He does nice machine work. You can track him down via 16mmfilmtalk. Good luck.

Phillip Grace
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2013 04:36 AM      Profile for Phillip Grace   Email Phillip Grace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael
I tried using camera type adaptors to increase the focal length of a projection lens at one time. The flare and vignetting completely killed the image. I suspect that these attachments are not meant to cope with the high light levels found in projection.
Buhl also made very short lenses for direct projection, as opposed to reversed. The Buhl reversing lenses I have seen all appear to consist of a short focal length projection lens in combination with a magnifier. The 90 degree reversing element between them is just a first surface reflector inside the housing. I'm suggesting that you could re-work one of their 16mm reverse lenses into a direct projection one without too much grief. Just looking at the throw/image size dimensions you suggested, I think you will need to place the projector a bit further away to get that large an image under any conditions.
The diameter of the lens mount on the projector is a consideration. Some series of 35mm lenses in short focal lengths will fit in (sleeved) and focus. They are usually easier to find than the 16mm equivalents.

Cheers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: