Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Aisle lighting Transformer

Author Topic: Aisle lighting Transformer
Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2013 11:42 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Need some input. I have a Tivoli aisle light strip (circa 1993) that uses a 18v AC transformer. The original burned up and I replaced it after checking for any signs of a short. The replacement worked fine for a few days then it too burned up. On examination the primary leads going in to the coil had burned through. So again I checked the entire strand for a short and again nothing. Checked line voltage coming in and it was good as well. Replaced transformer again just a few days ago. Checked voltage both on the primary and secondary and all was good. Came in today to find that again the primary leads had burnt through again.

I still suspect there is a short in the strand. My question is how do I check the light strand for a short with the meter since the bulbs are in parallel? I've ruled out line voltage since there is another transformer running off the same circuit.

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2013 01:44 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this happening over-night, or do the tivoli lights go out sometime during the day? If its happening only at night, ask yourself what is different then than during the day; for example, maybe when your janitors mop at night water gets into the strip through a crack.

Just a thought.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-17-2013 08:11 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would measure with a amp meter the amount of current being drawn and maybe put a fuse in the secondary

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-17-2013 10:48 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is every light on? usually a "dead" giveaway. (You might reduce voltage slightly to extend bulb life.) louis

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-17-2013 12:20 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second what Gordon said, and add:

Is this transformer on a dimmer? Many newer transformers cannot handle being on a dimmer, you need to choose a replacement with not only enough secondary current to handle the lights (Plus a bit extra never hurts) AND be capable of being on a dimmer.

I suspect dimmer incompatibility because often (not always, but often) if the PRIMARY burns up it is more due to input voltage issues. Overloads on the secondary tend to fry the secondary first....but there are exceptions.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-17-2013 02:52 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Tony is right.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2013 07:12 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the responses. They are not on a dimmer and there are a few burned out bulbs. The replacement transformer is the exact make/model (Hammond Manufacturing 166M16 Power Transformer)as the original from 1988. I too suspected line input issue since the primary leads are burnt, but the other transformer (the exact same, but original from 1988) is connected to the same 120v circuit and has no signs of overheating. I'll check the strand again for signs of a short.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: