Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS audio reel question .....

Author Topic: DTS audio reel question .....
Shawn Arndt
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2013 12:16 PM      Profile for Shawn Arndt   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Arndt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

I have been blessed to have met some great people here and to have gotten some really great advice/assistance. I am need of some of that grand experience again.

I have some DTS discs that apparently have replacement audio reels, like The Matrix & Daredevil. My question is, what purpose do they serve? Do they replace a damaged audio reel on the disc or are they maybe censored versions of an audio reel for other parts of the world?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Shawn

[Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2013 01:33 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Shawn,

Most likely they are alternate reels for foreign territories. Where possible, we like to include all versions of a show on a common disc set, so if you look at the reel numbers on the disc, you may see reels 1-6 and 13 where 13 is the International Version with different logos or something.

It is very rare (although not completely unheard of) for a second pressing of discs to go out because of a change in the film immediately before release.

Shawn Arndt
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2013 02:33 PM      Profile for Shawn Arndt   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Arndt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel,

So does the reel acutally replace any of the original audio? I see the Matrix one R13T5 displays Intl R7 ..... I listended to it and it seems to be for the last reel of the movie with the credit roll.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2013 05:38 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if the difference is minor (say one line of dialogue altered), it's still on the disc as an entirely different reel. So in this case there were domestic reel 7s and international reel 7s (encoded as reel 13). The correct reel of DTS sound plays back off the disc based on which print you have.

Shawn Arndt
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2013 07:44 PM      Profile for Shawn Arndt   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Arndt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. I was figuring that maybe it had to do with special effect sounds or spoken lines. At this point I'd have to listen to both of them if I want to get in to it just for giggles.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: