Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS test disk

Author Topic: DTS test disk
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2013 09:23 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know where to get the DTS test disk to set levels on a DTS6 or 6D processor?

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-12-2013 09:37 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a disk image of the Empirical Test Disk with C-3PO and R2-D2.

If you want it, I can send you a link to it from YouSendIt and you can burn it to a CD.

It's only about 73 MB.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2013 09:42 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, that would be great. Thank you.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-12-2013 10:11 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sent an e-mail.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-12-2013 10:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The discs are here in the warehouse.

Link to software

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2013 02:29 AM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the Empirical Test Disc that will allow you to play sound from any feature disc, isn't it?

Ours went missing years ago - is it covered by one of the downloads in the software section, or if not, Randy would you mind sending me the download link as well?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-13-2013 07:39 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That stopped working with Lord of the Rings 3 if I recall.

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2013 08:43 AM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I didn't know that. Not a huge problem in any case as we have a lot of older discs to match our repertory programming. Just a nice feature to have up one's sleeve.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-13-2013 01:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused. What good is it if you can get the disc to play? Are you going to try and play it alongside a print? You will never maintain sync. One missing frame and you're shot. The dts player will only play one reel, then you're shot. One frame off on the start and you're shot.

Surely you have some other goal here.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-13-2013 02:31 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did they make the changes on the movie discs or revisions to the Empirical Test Disc? If I recall (and it's been a looong time so correct me if I'm wrong) you load up a movie disc into slot A and then put the test disc into slot B. Slot A starts playing. To me this seems like an unintentional bug in the test disc. I guess a theatrical disc could have some sort of weird-ass program on it that says "Don't play if such-and-such a disc is in one of the other drives".

But why? Who cares? There's no reason to prevent this. I'm sure it was someone from a studio that decided this and demanded that DTS make the change. I bet they feel that they saved their company millions of dollars somehow. I liked using it to sound check auditoriums with known material.

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2013 02:23 AM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand very well the limitations. Like Joe says, it's an easy way of checking the system with known material - and that includes checking the DTS player itself, even if D-Cinema can provide the known material for the rest of the system.

We have a nice set of test materials for optical, SR-D, and mag, so it's nice to complement it with something for DTS, especially if it means we don't have to drag a reel from the 70mm of THE MASTER upstairs.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-14-2013 12:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
But a self-playing dts disc does not in any way verify the timecode reader is working properly, so it's a false sense of security.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: