Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie bulb adapter to fit 1000w bulb in an SLC 20/30

Author Topic: Christie bulb adapter to fit 1000w bulb in an SLC 20/30
Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2013 10:05 AM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did Christie ever make a bulb adapter to fit 1000w bulbs into their SLC 20/30 consoles. I'm trying to fit the bulb in. I can get it in so that it rests on the positive end holder, but this requires me to mess around with the negative end and as such I can no longer do the forward/reverse focusing, thus leaving a rather dim picture. The screen size is only about 10' wide in scope and I'll probably increase the size later on, but probably no more than to 15' wide so I don't know if going up a bulb size may be worth it or not.

I can always put eh negative end back to factory standards as well, I didn't do any mods that I can't reverse.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-10-2013 11:00 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew:

No they did not make an adapter.

But the good news is, that if you have access to a machinist it is super simple for him to make you one.

Here's how you do it:

First, get a 2k bulb to compare the difference in length from the electrode ends. (IIRC it is about 3/4")

Lay the 2k and 1k bulbs on a flat surface, and line up the (-) ELECTRODES in the bulbs' envelopes with each other. Measure the difference in length from flat portion of the threaded ends. That will be the thickness (or height) of the spacer.

Your machinist will need a piece of brass round stock the same or slightly greater diameter as the bulb's metal end and long enough to make a male threaded end as long as the bulbs', and leaving the other end the required spacer length.

The threads are 14mm diameter by (1.25mm?) pitch. Take the bulb and the nut to the machinist to verify.

I had one made for me a long time ago and it took about 35 minutes to make and cost me about $50.

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2013 04:50 PM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tony. I am going to take them to a machine shop tomorrow. Hopefully this will solve the dimness issue, if not well, then there is a nice launder list on what it could be.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-10-2013 05:40 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most critical dimension other making it fit is the distance from the cathode tip to the mounting shoulder as the cathode tip is what needs to be at the focus of the reflector
Any good machine shop should be able to make it

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-14-2013 05:49 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie did at one time have an adapter to allow an XBO-1000w/hs or 1600 watt to replace an XBO-2000w/htp (CXL-20). Note that the 1k is not generally thought of as a bulb for use in Christie. Originally used in the CH-20 console.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-17-2013 12:22 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for that info Louis, I stand corrected.

Can honestly say I never saw one in use though.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-17-2013 01:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technically, Christie had two sets of adapters...both allowed a 1600HS lamp to fit the respective Christie lamphouse. One set was for the 1600 to go into a 2KW lamphouse/console, the other set allowed the 1600 to go into the 1KW lamphouse/console. While it is true that the 1000HS and 1600HS are the same lamp on the outside (dimensionally), Christie already had the CXL-10 (XBO1000/HTP from Osram...blech) so they didn't need an adapter for that size.

Running a 1600 in a CK-20 work out well in one of our locations...just moved the links to "low" on the rectifier and it fit the 1.6KW range quite well.

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2013 05:21 PM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my spacer back from the machine shop and boy does it work. I was able to focus the bulb properly and it gives me a nice bright and even screen. Thanks for the help guys.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-20-2013 05:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
glad you got it working film-tech forever :-)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: