Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Problem with Kinoton fp40 motor

Author Topic: Problem with Kinoton fp40 motor
Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2013 04:01 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, does anyone have any idea what could be causing the motor on my fp40 to run roughly? The inverter keeps cutting out saying thermal overload on motor . The motor cage turns freely and smoothly by hand it's just when power is applied things go wrong, there's a faint burning smell and it sounds like it's running very roughly. Are there brushes in there that need changing? Have changed oil and everything is lubricated. [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-04-2013 10:17 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No brushes. The rough running and burning smell means that the motor's windings are damaged.

Only fix is a replacement motor.

When replacing the motor, check ALL connections for any that may be loose or burned up.

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2013 01:55 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tony, that's what I feared. No chance it could be re wound ? I suppose it might be cheaper to get a new head!

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-05-2013 07:05 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome, and sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

A rewind is not out of question IF you can find a rewind shop that specializes in small motors. (Those are hard to find here in the US, you might have better luck over there.)

A new head MAY end up being cheaper.

But, before you give up, send a PM to Mr. Steve Guttag on here, he is the Kinoton guru and he may have a source for a replacement motor at a decent price. Couldn't hurt to ask anyway.

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2013 02:06 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Tony , I will do that , thanks again for your help. There is a shop near me that does rewinds , I will ask. A new motor is well over $500 so a new projector (given the current state of things,) would definately be cheaper! [beer]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-06-2013 02:59 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fortunately, that motor is used in most of the late model Kinotons so if you know of "removed" projectors, then it is likely a parts source. Whereas we've never had one fail, it isn't all that common.

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2013 03:10 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve, I will look out for one. Interesting you say that they rarely fail-I'm assuming it's the motor and not the intermittent ? The problemis when it starts up it sounds like it's racing and running unevenly and quite noisily, there is also a faint smell of burning .The inverter then cuts out , to protect it I guess? The motor and intermittent turn very easily by hand and I've tried it with another inverter and the same problem . Any advice gratefully received! Jon

Tom McGarrity
Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2013 09:36 AM      Profile for Tom McGarrity   Email Tom McGarrity   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan, you can have my fully working de-automated FP40 for £200 + £60 courier, if it's of any help.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2013 10:06 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

We've had a number of these with duff crimps on the projector side of the inverter were badly made. First one we saw had had another install company replace the inverter and motor first ! I'd check these as like Steve have never had a motor fail..

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-06-2013 11:00 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are talking about a D or E projector?

I've had a few of the Lenze SMD inverters fail so that is a possibility too.

The Lenze will protect itself...if the motor over-currents, it should drop out...what does the display of the Lenze say when it is in the failure state?

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2013 11:45 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,
it's a D series. The inverter doesn't have a display as such , just two LEDs. The left hand one is flashing green and the right hand one is un lit.

I did try the motor wired directly to another inverter , an omron j7, and the same results unsteady, noisey and a burning smell.

One thing I have thought of is that by mistake I re filled the oil through the glass tube rather than the plastic hose- stupid mistake I know. I've since drained it and refilled correctly, my point is though that someone told me that if you fill through the glass tube they can run for a while and then seize up? Don't know if this caused an extraneous load on the motor and hence the burn out? It does run (when turned by hand , ) much smoother now.

Tom, thanks for the offer, will certainly bear this in mind if I can't cheaply fix the motor.

Jon

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-06-2013 03:44 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have a older Lenze...they are even better...never had one of them fail. You need the "faceplate" if you want to control it or see what is going on.

But since you say you tried another inverter with the same results...there you have it.

As to oil filling...technically, the glass tube is the "fill" and the hose is the "drain." Experienced people realized you could get air bubbles in there and basically not really fill the system and just have some oil in the glass tube. When we install them, we punch holes in the dust caps to avoid the possibility of a vacuum causing a false level. We also recommend filling from the hose as it naturally "burps" the system (plus it fits the nozzle of the oil jugs) and actually fills faster since one is squeezing it in and not having to wait for it to drain down the short glass tube.

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2013 04:01 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve, I guess it's try and find a cheap second hand motor.

Re the filling method, the mech certainly turns over a lot more freely when filled from the hose, I can even turn the mech from the knurled knob on the bottom sprocket , something I could not do before.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: