Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » No more 35mm Tr's (that's TRAILERS in normal English speak) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: No more 35mm Tr's (that's TRAILERS in normal English speak)
Jerry D. Cox
Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2013 12:59 PM      Profile for Jerry D. Cox   Email Jerry D. Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox inform me that they were no longer
making 35mm Tr's

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2013 01:06 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clarification: Do you mean "trailers?"

Jerry D. Cox
Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2013 01:19 PM      Profile for Jerry D. Cox   Email Jerry D. Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YES They told me at Fox last Wed.
That they were no Longer making
35mm Trailers

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2013 04:49 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Confirmed. There will be exceptions, especially for Searchlight titles; but in general, Fox trailers will now be DCP only for North America.

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2013 04:33 AM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to have already happened Down Under - the last title we received a 35mm trailer for was DJANGO UNCHAINED, and that was after a significant gap.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2013 07:18 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can somebody please edit the subject so people like me won't waste tome clicking ont the topic wondering what the heck a Tr is?

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2013 09:25 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew what the subject meant when I read it. No problem.
But what I'm curious about is "how" were you informed of this?
Is there a letter or press release you can post?
Tnx

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2013 01:43 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Knew that was coming sooner or later. Once you go digital though, you'll have more trailers than you can actually play. I rarely find 3-4 new trailers per week on the trail mix drives.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-05-2013 02:02 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does "trailers" really take that much effort to say/type that it needs to be abbreviated?

But Fox (and others) will soon stop making 35mm anything, so be prepared.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-05-2013 02:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Barry Floyd
Once you go digital though, you'll have more trailers than you can actually play. I rarely find 3-4 new trailers per week on the trail mix drives.
That's for sure. I sure wish whoever makes the trailer DCPs would get together and figure out how to name the stupid things sensibly (and stop with the #%@$ abbreviated names already! Who knows what the hell "SDE" means? If the title is too long just use the first couple of words, or at least whole words.)

Who knew that managing trailers would turn into the most complicated job in the booth?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-05-2013 03:59 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I always used the "Tlr" for my trailer shortcut)

Yet, you think the DCP naming convention could shorten up the content naming some (like, why do we need to know the MDY and similar..)to it can be easier to use along with having it alphabetically in order on the trailer drives (or, it could be the server/lms's fault not getting the titles in order), so one doesn't have to hunt for them when doing the builds?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-05-2013 05:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is often too much over abbreviation and Monte, you are definitely in that category.

If you want to get into the trailer naming thing...is there a decent place to figure out the various versions of the stupid things? The "branded" ones are easy to figure out...I'm talking about the trailer version numbers and alternates...why does one pick the "Trailer 2" versus the "Trailer 3" or "Trailer 3 Alt" versions? Some just use the highest number trailer and if that is the best method...why do they continue to include the "stale" versions?

I can understand having "Teasers" and "Trailers." But a bazillion versions? Please.

DCI naming convention requires the month/day/year thing and I'm okay with that...it is a quick way to know when it was made and that it is the same version one is looking for to use.

How about a DCI requirement that ALL DCinema servers have to be able to display the whole DCI name on any screen where content is to be ingested or even "built" up? Often the important stuff is cut off (5.1/7.1, Dbox, Brand Specific stuff...etc).

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-05-2013 05:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am amazed they are still bothering to send trailers out on hard drives.

A much better solution would be to have a password-protected website where a cinema could download the trailers they want, rather than having to slog through all the crap on the hard drives.

Such a website could be categorized, into sections like "Most recent versions," "Chain-specific versions," "Non-IMAX versions," "Policy tags," and "3-D Glasses notices," among other categories.

Surely the bandwidth required for this would be way cheaper for the studios than paying for UPS and FedEx to haul thousands of drives all over the world.

If this idea WAS implemented, cinemas that don't have broadband internet should still be able to get the hard drives if they desired.

The other "wish" I have is that they use Technicolor and/or Deluxe for this, and stay away from the "each studio has its own website" option. It'd be much better for an operator to go to one site, check off the items to download, then go home for the night, rather than having to slog through a dozen different sites.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-05-2013 05:43 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would it need to be password protected? Trailers are ADVERTISING -- you know, the stuff that you want to expose to everyone possible so they come to your theatre and watch the move.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-05-2013 05:48 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least with film, the difference between a "version A" and "version B" trailer is often just the inclusion of a release date at the end. Typically, the "version A" would just say "coming soon" (or something to that effect) and "version B" would have an actual date. I could see where a theatre that is opening the film on its national release date would want to advertise that, while a theatre that is playing the same film later would prefer not to show the date.

I don't know if this is still the case, as I am out of the loop on first-run exhibition practices and have been for a few years now. In any case, there definitely should be a way to find out what the differences are between versions.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: