Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Solar cell resistor question

Author Topic: Solar cell resistor question
Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2013 12:42 PM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lacking a proper sound processor, I am currently bridging my solar cell with a 680 ohm, 1/2 watt resistor to plug into a conventional amplifier microphone jack for my home theater. It seems to work well and sound OK, but I've seen conflicting opinions on what resistor should be used--ranging from about 200 ohms to 1000 ohms. Is there a "best" resistor to use for this purpose? Do different resistors change the EQ? Also, is it best to connect the resistor at the cell terminal on the projector or closer to the mic jack (or does it matter)? Thanks for any suggestions.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-24-2013 03:14 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Solar Cells are a current device and above a few milliohms their distortion goes up quickly as does the loss of bass response
as such as Bang and Olfsen determined long ago the ideal preamp was a opamp running as a current sink to convert the change in current to a change in voltage and then a preamp after that
The first cinema system to do that i believe was the original Kintek preamp boxes
On the reverse readers the cell is fed into the negative input of a opamp so it feeds a virtual ground

All that said the average mono system used 250-600 ohm load either by a resistor or by (in a better world) a matching transformer

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-24-2013 03:36 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Used hundreds of Shure mike mixers (150 ohm) with transformer input in drive ins and cheap mono indoor theatres. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-24-2013 03:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that was a popular choice for radio sound for am driveins

Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2013 03:52 PM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes this is a mono cell. So, what I gather is that the 680 ohm resistor is probably on the high side and I may do better with around a 400 ohm resistor?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-24-2013 04:04 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
trial and error it is a sawoff of bass response distortion and gain

Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2013 03:12 PM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Gordon replied very correctly, the solar cell is basically a current source, and not a voltage source.
Kintek indeed designed their preamps as current amplfiers that were of course grounded on one side at the input.
As to the best resistor value, you have to understand that the introduction of a resistor in a current circuit generates a voltage differential over the resistor. That voltage swing is what you are amplifying. So far so good, right?
Now, the value of the resistor determines how much (milli-)voltage you generate. The higher the value, the more voltage.
So if you still have plenty of gain with a slightly lower value of you present resistor, you're better off.
560 Ohm was a fairly common value that worked well.

Ed Inman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2013 05:35 PM      Profile for Ed Inman   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Inman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rob, I'll try replacing the 680 ohm resistor with a 560 & see if I can tell any difference.

Levent Caliskan
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2013 12:42 PM      Profile for Levent Caliskan   Email Levent Caliskan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best way to find a suitable resistance for your circuit is to use a variable resistance. Start tuning from 1000ohm, backwards till you get the best result. Since the basic parameter you’re tuning is a few miliamps of current, make sure your variable resistance has that has a suitable resolution according to your given range.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-02-2013 06:30 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note as listed above it is a LOAD resistor, wired across the solar cell. As Gordon said, best to use a low impedance mike transformer.

Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2013 02:23 PM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A low impedance transformer will certainly work very well, as it did in the earlier Dolby-, and other, processors.
Having said that, it still does not represent the ultimate medium for a current amplification or rather current to AC transference. A transformer here is just a way to get an acceptable impedance match and it does that quite well.
But it is essentially not a current (mA) to/AC converter. There are better ways to emulate that.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-23-2013 03:40 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While transformers are not the absolutely best solution to coupling a solar cell to the electronics of a processor, in real applications, they perform better.

Dolby used as balanced, transformerless preamp design in the CP65 and it was very well done, but electronics noise is always higher than even a good transformer. Also, there are common wiring faults that will keep an active balanced design from working at all while the inherent isolation the transformer offers keeps the audio going.

In the end, it's about cost as a chip and a few parts are cheaper than a good transformer.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: