Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Use QSC LF-4215 as Sub

Author Topic: Use QSC LF-4215 as Sub
Alban Birch
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2013 06:20 AM      Profile for Alban Birch   Author's Homepage   Email Alban Birch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
Something went terribly wrong and now I'm stuck with 3 SC-443s and only 1 SB-5218. what we needed was 3 SC-423s and 2 SB-5218s. So the mainchannels are oversized and the Sub undersized.
What do you guys think of using the 3 LF-4215s as subs together with the SB-5218, which will leave me with SC-423Hs as mainchannel.
Amps are all DCA
3 1622
1 2422
1 1824
Surrounds are only 4 SR-26s
The room shall 5.1 bi-amped

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-26-2013 07:24 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without knowing the room, it is impossible to say what the result will be.

Combining the LF-4215s with the SB-5218 is probably not wise. The LF-4215 does not have the bottom end. The cabinets were not tuned for that. You could possibly tune them separately to extend their response but you will likely need a lot of amplifier and not have a very efficient system.

If you just combine them...you will have an exaggerated mid-bass with very little true bottom end.

Look at the response of the LF-4215

-

Now compare it to the SB-5218

-

Now super-impose the two but allow for that the LF-4215 is going to be louder given the same power.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-26-2013 08:44 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't be easier just to buy the missing sub?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-26-2013 10:28 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With just 4 surrounds...the room better be tiny anyway! So who is to say that they need more than the one double-18 sub?

Alban Birch
Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2013 12:55 PM      Profile for Alban Birch   Author's Homepage   Email Alban Birch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the possibility to EQ 2 different Subchannels thanks to an AP20
No discussion about the why not buy or exchange against the LFs, the missing Sub please. Not doable.
Sorry 4 SR-26 per side.
Speced another 4 SRs for the back that's why we habe the 1824 instead of a 1222

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-26-2013 01:35 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't ruin the front channels removing the LF. Live with one sub and wait till you have some money for the second one.

You still did not mention the lenght of the room, one double-sub may be acceptable for the time being.

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2013 02:03 PM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Marco

He will not remove the LF completely from the screen channels, but will use the main speakers appropriate for the room (and the amplifiers). The 443s are the same as the desired 423, but with an additional box of 15" drivers (the LF 4215 box).

He wants to use these 3 "now-spare" boxes of LF drivers to serve as a subwoofer.

That might not be a good idea as Steve mentioned.

Are you sure you cannot trade back the 4215s for one subwoofer? Even at no cost to the provider? I mean, the SB costs the same as one LF4215 list. If really desperate, trade in for two?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-26-2013 03:04 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got it, thanks!

Is he sure that a room that needs 4x18" wouldn't appreciate 4x15" as well? [Smile]

Anyway what Bajsic says is correct: trade the extra LF back and buy the sub. If the dealer is not willing to do it, trade them yourself as brand new!

Alban Birch
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2013 07:05 AM      Profile for Alban Birch   Author's Homepage   Email Alban Birch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2x18" and 6x15" to be precise

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-27-2013 08:07 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SC443 have 4x15" cones and SB5218 have 2x18" each. You claim you'd need 2xSB5218 - hence the 4x18". And I was wondering whether your room - the dimentions of which are still unknown - would appreciate 4x15" (SC443) rather than 2x15" (SB423) - per channel.

Am I missing something here?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: