Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Remote Fader Control

Author Topic: Remote Fader Control
Chuck McGregor
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2013 11:37 PM      Profile for Chuck McGregor   Email Chuck McGregor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given the varying audio levels we experience with alternate content, there is a wired remote level control in the audience area used to set appropriate SPL levels. This control is used quite frequently. Due to upgrades, a wired control is no longer an option on the new equipment.

The option available will be using a wireless network connection and a VNC app on a Smartphone or iPad. Using this method would you be comfortable. i.e. trustful about, changing levels during a show, often several times (ask the content providers, not me, about this)?

Thanks for any opinions. For what it's worth, mine is no. I like wires where it counts.

To wit:
Broadway sound designers will typically specify not one, but two $5,000 wireless microphones for lead actors (redundancy). They will then tell you that those will be almost as reliable as a $15 microphone cable...almost.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-20-2013 11:47 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an Extron seamless switch in my booth to handle the video feeds for satellite presentations from the Met Opera. I can access that device from my iPad and it works very well but I would never use it unless it was an emergency.

If one of the feeds went down while I was out of the booth, I'd use it in a heartbeat but, then, I would cut a path right to the booth to see what's happening first hand.

If somebody asked me to tweak the volume in the middle of the show, I would go up to the booth and turn the fader by hand.

There is no sense in F-ing up a show for 100 people because I was too lazy to get up off my fat ass and go check. Right?

The best kind of wireless microphone is the kind you plug in. [Wink]

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2013 07:26 AM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've set up some Datasat AP20's with wireless VNC access and had no problems . Granted, so far they've been smaller auditoriums so wifi signal strength isn't a problem, but powerful Access Points are readily available too...
If your equipment is the AP20, as VNC gives access to the entire AP20 touch-screen, you do need to be a little bit careful to not accidentally press a format button, but fader control is not too close to the format buttons so it's not a deal-breaker for the few times my customers need to utilize it. (I've not VNC'd into other processors so not sure if there are any other tips)
I'd probably advise getting a larger tablet rather than relying on a phone though, otherwise you may end up with annoying screen scaling or having to pan the display around to get to different buttons.
Of course if wires really are preferred, the same functionality could be achieved using say a small net-book with an ethernet cable back to the booth. It doesn't need to be a touch screen, mouse/touch-pad can be used, and in fact may offer a small level of protection from accidental button presses.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2013 08:41 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many USL products have a web interface that gives you basic control. For example, the JSD100 and JSD-60 let you select format, adjust fader level, and mute/unmute the system with a web browser. This could be accessed with any browser device over encrypted Wi-Fi. I really like using a browser as the user interface instead of having to load yet another application on every machine that is to access the system.

Harold

Chuck McGregor
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2013 11:36 AM      Profile for Chuck McGregor   Email Chuck McGregor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for relating your experiences. It is in fact an AP-20 so yours, Ian, is particularly helpful. Mr. Stankey, you and I are on the same page. Love your type of wireless microphone! This all reinforces that I don't like the idea. Too many variables for inexperienced "help."

My fallback position is doing this with the new loudspeaker processor that will eventually be put in. The can control any or all of its channel levels at once with a wired control. However, this method has its drawbacks (gain structure, level calibration, and readout issues), but once these are figured out it will be foolproof.

Thanks for the help! This gives me the technical and "political" [Roll Eyes] ammo I need to deal with this.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: