Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Proper DTS & DD install on CP65 help

Author Topic: Proper DTS & DD install on CP65 help
Mike Carro
Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2012 07:28 PM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Carro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, is there a proper way to install DTS and Dolby digital on the CP-65? I have a DA-20/cat700 and DTS6. I know DTS makes some adapters for this very purpose but I want the advice of the experts. Also, what is the "audio in from CP" on the back of the DA-20 for? I couldn't find it in the manual.
thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-27-2012 07:49 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, the DTS 6 (and also the DTS6D) manuals give a very clear explanation of how to do what you want. Check them out here in the warehouse and if you still need help let us know.

The DA 20 manual is somewhat lacking in explanations.

Important: Make sure you do the Audio cable mods (from the DTS player) as outlined in the manual. Also, there is a bulletin on the DA-20 to make sure it passes the sub signal properly (that bulletin is also in the warehouse IIRC.)

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-27-2012 07:52 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The audio from CP is where the DTS or other external audio goes in. There are bypass relays inside the DA20 either send out either the DA20 audio or pass the external audio back out using the same cable the DA20 already uses to connect to the CP65. The trick is how to get the bypass relays to relax to get the external audio to pass through

The rest of this is covered in the DTS manual and the DA20 manual so happy reading.

Mike Carro
Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2012 09:35 PM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Carro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Tony and Sam, I saw that in the DTS manual. But as Sam says there's the DA-20 route. I guess I want to know which is better or less headaches. Not much about that bypass in the DA-20 manual. And do I need to contact Datasat to get those breakout cards?
thanks

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-27-2012 09:54 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe you only need a DB 25 cable to from DTS audio out to DA20 in.

One thing to check is the DA20 Cat. 611 board type. If you are lucky it will be the 611A type which allows the switching of all channels including the subwoofer. It saves a lot of trouble using the A type card and there are quite a few around these days.

Mike Carro
Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2012 10:19 PM      Profile for Mike Carro   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Carro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Sam, I'll check for that

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-28-2012 07:59 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DTS method works fine if you want to use either SRD or DTS (and power off the unused digital processor). I'm surprised that there is no "official" method to have one digital format automatically fail over to the other before dropping to analog. I looked into this at one point, and it seems that the DTS dubber interface card (with a modification to the DTS automation connector to have it fault to format 10, rather than format 05) would be the easiest approach to have DTS failover to SRD, but that part is NLA.

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2012 11:49 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Switching-off the DA20 (and thus forcing the unit to allow the DTS signal through to the CP65) means gaining access to the power switch on the rear of the unit - somewhat difficult in a closed rack. A rack mounted external power switch can make life much easier.

Regarding switching from DTS to SRD (or the reverse) I totally agree with Scott. Where prints contain the relevant tracks, I'd personally like to set our DTS unit as the prime source but have the system drop-back to SRD if it encountered a problem. In turn, if the SRD system failed, the system would drop back to the default SR track.

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2012 02:40 AM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never had the opportunity to try, but I believe the SDDS DFP-3000 had the ability to specify a fall back route, so from SDDS you could fall back to either ext. multi-channel analogue input (SR-D or DTS), and then potenetially to the third digital format if you had it. I guess that doesn't help here though...

Alban Birch
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2012 05:53 AM      Profile for Alban Birch   Author's Homepage   Email Alban Birch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
I had a similar setup with a CP55.
I routed the Sound from the DA20 thru the DTS6 to the CP55.
Connected the Automation of the DA20 normally.

I connected the DTS-Pulse of the DTS6 to the magnetic-sense of the CP55 and the SR-Pulse of the DTS6 to the Dolby-digital-sense of the CP55.
Here comes the Trick:
I modified the Automationcard of the CP that it switches to the 6ch-Input when you press the magnetic format

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 10-07-2013 07:56 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm doing pretty much the same thing, but with a DMA8 plus added to the equation. I've read everything here, and the CP-65, DA-20, DMA8 plus and DTS6D installation manuals. The audio connections are no problem, but I'm still confused about the automation ones. The DMA8 plus manual shows it connected to the J18 automation connector on the CP65. There is nothing plugged in to the J18 connector, but selecting any input on the DMA will pulse the CP-65 into format 10, so it must be connected somehow, presumably through the automation screw terminals on the CP-65. It's very difficult to see the back of the sound rack at the moment, partly due to its position, and partly due to a horrible mess of cable inside.

The DTS-6D manual has instructions for connecting a DTS-6d and DA-20 to a CP-65; the two digital devices both connect to a D564 Logic Card, which in turn plugs into the J18 connector on the CP-65. Since the J18 connector is not being used at present I thought I could do this, but then I read more of the DMA8 plus manual. This says that one function of the DMA8 plus is to block a revert to analogue command pulse from a DA-20 when the DMA has one of the digital inputs selected. This makes sense, and presumably it should do the same thing with a DTS-6D. In order to do this it would seem that I need to take the automation cables from the DA-20 and DTS-6D through the DMA rather than direct to the CP-65. However, I cannot plug the D564 card directly into the DMA, as it would obstruct another connector. My thoughts at the moment are to make up a ribbon cable a few cm long, to connect between the D564 card and the connector on the DMA. Does this sound reasonable?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: