Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Image quality loss with Isco converter?

Author Topic: Image quality loss with Isco converter?
Rob J. Buskop
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2012 01:15 PM      Profile for Rob J. Buskop   Email Rob J. Buskop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's in the planning to extend my private screening room about 2,5 feet. Problem is, two years ago I acquired two new Schneider Premiere base optics for my CScope format.
Their f is 80mm. My new requirement would be somewhere between 86 and 90mm. This could be achieved with Isco's fixed converter of 1.09x
The question is: Do any of you know of any detoriation in picture quality when using these converters? Would this be an advisable step?
I would be grateful to learn about your experiences in this area.
Thanks for your attention!

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-22-2012 06:31 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, with so many places converting to digital (and with 90mm being a pretty common focal length) why waste time and money on a converter? It would be pretty easy (and a lot cheaper) to get a good used 90mm lens (Put up a Wanted post in the Equipment wanted forum for example.)

Yes, you will lose some image quality with a converter. (Usually focus uniformity but sometimes also contrast.)

So, IMHO , forget the converter and just get a 90mm lens.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: