Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » An in-depth look at CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON,

Author Topic: An in-depth look at CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON,
Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2012 11:56 AM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is our new article on the 3-D history of CREATURE, plus a review of the Blu-ray.

Check out the blue advertising flyer from 1976 with a quote from Frank Angel and the Thousand Eyes magazine!

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/an-in-depth-look-at-creature-from-the-black-lagoon-1

We've included some original never-before-seen 3-D artwork from the studio files. I hope you will find it interesting.

|  IP: Logged

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2012 04:13 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting? I only took a cursory look at it and was geeking out over the treasure trove of material. I look forward to being able to sit down and digest it all properly soon.

Thank you.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-18-2012 10:25 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is "CREATURE" available as a 3D DCP?

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2012 10:51 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only is there a 3D DCP of Creature, today is the final day it is playing at New York City's Film Forum.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-18-2012 11:02 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Looks like fun times. Would be neat to show that one.

Shawn Arndt
Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2012 12:08 PM      Profile for Shawn Arndt   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Arndt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The article is awesome, very well done. I remember this black and white creature feature scaring the junk out of me when I was small.

I'm glad that these parts of history are documented and people are caring for them to keep them alive.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 10-19-2012 03:47 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very well written, Robert. The same goes for your DIAL M FOR MURDER post. I never saw DIAL M FOR MURDER in 3-D but I did see THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON in that format at the Liberty Theatre in Honolulu during it's first run in the fifties. Although I do not have a 3-D set yet, I just purchased the 3-D Blu Ray of DIAL M FOR MURDER the other day and hope to finally see it in 3-D when I get set up for it soon. Meanwhile, I watched the 2-D version and enjoyed it very much. I would like to get CFTBL, but it only comes with Universal's other horror films and it is priced more than I am willing to spend at the moment and will wait for the movie to become available as a single set or when the multi disc set go on sale this Christmas.

-Claude

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2012 05:13 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for your kind words, they are very much appreciated.

CREATURE is available in a stand alone, region free disc from Amazon UK. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creature-Black-Lagoon-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B008LSAQPW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350684816&sr=8-1

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2012 02:53 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another superbly written & researched article. [beer] Oh well, Time to start bugging Universal for a remaster. [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-21-2012 02:01 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So how incompetent do you have to be not to be able to align the elements vertically and randomly have some shots with the left and right eyes switched? That's how it is on the Blu-ray and probably the DCP as well.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2012 09:50 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great article! Even though the 3D Blu-ray is available, the largest 3D-capable display I have is only 47".

This article makes me wish a theater within driving distance was showing it... Just checked and one theater within a 90-minute drive is showing it, but only on Sunday, when I have multiple conflicts already [Frown]

CFTBL is my favorite of the old horror monster movies!

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-23-2012 09:35 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dual strip prints that were shown at the 3D festival seemed like they were timed differently or something. One was significantly brighter than the other. I'm not sure if the negatives were that way or if they were just two mis-matched prints. I'm assuming that issue doesn't exist on the blu-ray?

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2012 11:22 AM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was an effect of two prints being timed at different gammas for different reasons. The original prints were balanced, as is the DVD.

Kirk Futrell
Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2012 02:13 PM      Profile for Kirk Futrell   Author's Homepage   Email Kirk Futrell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are about to show the anaglyph version and never got a clarification from anyone we asked which eye was red and which was cyan, so we had 600 printed with our logo with Left Eye Red/ Right Eye Cyan which is the most common way anaglyph 3d glasses are made today, according to an American Paper Optics representative. Unfortunately, the print is made for glasses to be Left Cyan / Right Red. So we will just tell everyone to fold their glasses with the logo on the inside. For what it is worth, besides the kind of ugly yellow over all color you get, and the headache the effect of the 3D looks great. So I would say this universal print is in great shape.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: