Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » film vaults (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: film vaults
Michael Uebler
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2012 03:28 PM      Profile for Michael Uebler   Email Michael Uebler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre is toying with the idea of putting on a special halloween theme show in late october. I was wondering if anybody knew any film vaults that would be able to distribute something along the lines of a nightmare on elm street, or the nightmare before christmas...something along those lines any information at all on how to make this happen would be greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2012 03:47 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about making your topic more specific like Looking for Horror Film Distributor. I thought you were referring to nitrate storage, etc.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-08-2012 04:54 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call your film booker about booking Halloween films.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2012 10:22 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holland Releasing has a couple of available Halloween packages.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2012 12:44 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your best bet is to book it through each studio that owns the film. Nightmare on Elm Street was New Line, which I think is Warner Bros. now (good luck with that... their service sucks if you can get any.)

Nightmare Before Christmas is Disney... you're probably not going to be able to get it.

There's a huge difference between the crowd you're going to get for either film, though. If you're looking to draw, get something everyone loves (and can go see).

Keep in mind, for most archival prints, you're going to need to be running changeover, not platter.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-02-2012 01:17 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're a little late getting to it, and you didn't say if you were only interested in 35mm, or if DVD/BluRay/DCP is an option. Most of the classic Halloween films are booked way in advance, though if you want to do DVD/BluRay, the disturbs (other than Disney) are usually happy to take your money.

Here's Park Circus' Halloween collection:
http://www.parkcircus.com/films/collections/508_halloween

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-02-2012 11:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
the disturbs (other than Disney) are usually happy to take your money.
I fail to understand Disney on this particular issue. They like to make money more than almost any company out there. They are constantly mining their catalog for video releases, theme park rides, remakes, sequels, re-issues and such, and they have bar none the best family-film catalog in the history of film. But you can't book their movies for one-off shows.

This seems like insanity for an otherwise-very-savvy company. They're leaving a lot of money on the table. WHY do they do this?? (I'd propose a letter-writing campaign but I don't think it'd do any good.)

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2012 01:57 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, you CAN book some Disney movies for one-off shows, as Cinemark (I think) is doing nationwide shows of Mary Poppins and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea this fall. But I'll bet the Disney Animation Canon is still off-limits.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-03-2012 05:44 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At a local performing arts center, we played Mary Poppins in September and will be playing Bedknobs & Broomsticks in October. There were no problems with either booking. Up through August of this year, these bookings were handled by Buena Vista directly; now they must be made through Swank, but the same titles are available.

Could we have booked Snow White or Pinocchio or another A-list title? Probably not, but I didn't ask. I did inquire about the early Technicolor shorts (Flowers and Trees, Three Little Pigs, etc.), but was told that there were no prints (I did not pursue the possibility of getting archive prints of these).

I'm not a big fan of taking stuff out of release, but it seems to happen all the time. The James Bond films always seem to be unavailable when a new one is released. I looked into booking the Lord of the Rings series for December, but that is out of release now due to the upcoming release of The Hobbit.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-03-2012 10:58 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were these theatrical or non-theatrical showings?

Disney seems to have a different definition of non-theatrical than other disturbs. Was the performing arts center allowed to advertise?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-03-2012 11:39 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Advertising was allowed.

I made the bookings and made clear that this screenings would be at a commercial, for-profit, open-to-the-public venue.

The definition of "nontheatrical" is shifting, though. I found out yesterday, that 20th Century Fox pretty much defines anything other than "first-run motion-picture theatre" as "nontheatrical" even if it is open to the public and the screenings are advertised. In their case, at least, it is no longer limited to film societies, colleges, and other "closed" groups.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-05-2012 11:12 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Disney, and maybe now Fox, operate with a third category of "Post-Theatrical." Meaning they still want to make money with it, but don't want to be bothered. [Wink]

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-09-2012 06:01 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI: Disney has moved their theatrical Rep Films to Swank. That does not include the "Classic" animation or Pixar. So Mary Poppins is available theatrically (I asked specifically).

They do have 35mm prints of most of them.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-09-2012 10:29 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, you need to go back and change your subject header.

quote:
RULE #7: Teaser subject headers; starting a new topic.
Do not use "teaser" subject headers. Headers such as "You are not going to believe this" and "Can someone help me with..." are aggravating to members since they do not tell what the subject of the thread is without clicking on it. Such titles could not possibly be any less helpful to members trying to navigate topics of interest to them. Therefore, please use common sense when titling new discussions and make sure they are descriptive. Be forewarned that threads with "teaser" titles may be closed or deleted without notification. To edit a thread title, you may edit the first post in the thread.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2012 11:09 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is the DCP of 'Mary Poppins' that Cinemark is showing a full on restoration/transfer or is it just something Disney studios just slapped on for distribution? I know that 20,000 Leagues's 4K restoration has been shown and released in DCP form, so I'm assuming this is what will be seen come Oct. 25th.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: