Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » RCA sound head gears (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: RCA sound head gears
Jonathan Bodge
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2012 05:29 PM      Profile for Jonathan Bodge   Email Jonathan Bodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a some bronze (or are they brass) gears. Are they worth anything? Can they be melted for casting?

|  IP: Logged

Harry Robinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2012 07:25 PM      Profile for Harry Robinson   Email Harry Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they're for a RCA 1040 I'd like to have them. It would be great to have backups for all my old gear. We're going to try and keep the hobby going in the family for years to come.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-03-2012 09:45 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All RCA gears and pinions are the same. I have many, brand new as well as complete gearboxes for 9030/9050. Louis

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2012 07:59 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
All RCA gears and pinions are the same.
Louis,
Does this apply to the original PS24?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-04-2012 08:41 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, never had any. Could look up part numers in Wolk book. Louis

Robert Koch
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2012 01:10 PM      Profile for Robert Koch   Email Robert Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Throop; PS 24 was completely different. The high rpm motor was an intregal part of the main casting and only a porpoise hide seal kept the gear box oil from getting into the motor ; sound messy, it sure was. Had one in Ely Nevada and also the Golden Gate in San Francisco.Too many years ago to recall. 1950

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2012 03:41 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Robert,
I had a pair of PS24's that came from the Franjo theatre in Boonville, NY. Alas I got rid of them years ago.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-04-2012 09:36 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So can I assume that the porpoise hide seal is no longer available due to tree huggers? Louis

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2012 02:28 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PS-24 soundheads only use one bronze gear in an oil bath. It will not fit the newer RCA's as the PS-24 runs at about 3350 rpm and turns backwards fron regular soundheads. They looked like a baby 1040 with very few parts interchangable. First American soundhead with a rotery stablizer in 1932. I still have an original seal and a new bronze gear for one.

Motor seal was about 1/4" thick and did have a leak problem. I found new style 1/8" ones fit perfectly and two could be used if wanted.

Ran a pair of these in theatres and my basement booth for several years. Mine had front shutter Somplex projectors on them and had no problems once I replaced the seals.
Dick

Robert Koch
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2012 07:38 PM      Profile for Robert Koch   Email Robert Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick; I knew if anyone but me would remember anything about these it would be you. I`d forgotten about the reverse drive but I knew it was the first rotary stabilizer.My first territory with RCA in 1949 was in SCL which included Utah,Nevada and Wyoming. I was pretty green then and vowed to stay away from that PS 24 in Ely and managed to avoid it till I came back to CA.
I dont know if you ever heard of Charles Horstman who was director of projection for RKO / Orpheum theatres, but he was the answer to an owners prayer. He never ever spent anything, I mean anything. When I came back to Ca I had occasion to make a service call in the RKO Golden Gate in San Francisco and this was an example of Chas Horstmans expansiveness.The RCA set was almost such I did`nt know the PG number. I think it was 30. It still had MG sets for not only the filaments of the tubes but also the plate supply. What a relic. Mind you this was a downtown, continuous run and had probably run all through World War 2 and God knowa how much before. My other PS 24~S sat on projectors and a obscene projecton angle only suitable fo spotlights

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-06-2012 11:51 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"So can I assume that the porpoise hide seal is no longer available due to tree huggers?" Louis

I think maybe we should have seals made from old cinema dealers.

We are an endangered species, but no one is going to mount a drive to save us.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-07-2012 09:03 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad but true. i AM trying to "have a life" outside of the industry, but I DO miss my friends and business acquaintances. Louis

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-07-2012 10:09 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say I have made the turn to being mainly a dealer of audio and D cinema goods and installation of same instead of a maker of film based equipment/dealer. Business has slowed down, but then so have I.

You made the strategic decision not to participate in D cinema and to retire instead.

You could always unretire; boxers and quarterbacks do it all the time. You have plenty of friends and likely customers. This business does get in your blood as you allude.

Jonathan Bodge
Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2012 11:16 AM      Profile for Jonathan Bodge   Email Jonathan Bodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The gears are unusual I believe, the gear diameter measures 1 15/16 inches approx. 1 11/16 inch wide and fits on a 9/16 inch shaft approx. From my memory these look smaller than regular RCA gears.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-07-2012 11:32 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan; MI1040/1050/9030/9050 are all the same. You might have 50Hz gears which are different. Likewise the 1800 rpm gears made by Wolk. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: