Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » sound processor bypass, how to NR?

Author Topic: sound processor bypass, how to NR?
Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2012 06:31 PM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello

My wonderful DTS XD10P crapped out again mid show, despite recently coming from the factory where it was checked out and serviced. Long story short, i connected the output from the reader to the XLR Mic inputs on our mixer and am going 2 channel out.

Any suggestions regarding best gain structure for this situation? Would using TSR have been a better option? The sound is not in any way bad, on a decent print.

Still my main concern is running used prints and the associated emulsion scratches without any sort of noise reduction. Is there a quick fix for such an occasion. I usually just drop the highs (above 4k) by 3-5 dB to eliminate some hiss and crackle. Anything else i can do?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-15-2012 12:11 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
have the XD10P fixed?

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2012 02:00 AM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DTS unit was in servicing and in the DTS factory more time than it was working in the field. It was 'fixed' 3 times already. It is connected only to the projector, housed in a 6U rack with no other devices and is not running hot.

But enough about that, as stated in the topic, I am looking for experiences with running optical directly to mixer.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2012 05:43 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can run directly......if you have normal stereo cell connect it to two channel of mixer microphone balanced input, same if you have reverse scan reader. When setting level use normal dolby tone and set so when running dolby tone you get say -6dB on both channel inputs (means -6dB when all faders are set to 0dB and tone controll to mid position). That should get good hadroom....also you can get a bit hf trim to get better response, but you can do that while listening. I did this couple of times, but if you have normal stereo cell only on projector it is very important to use balanced inputs of microphone channel to get the best you can do with mixer.

As for NR....you could do put dolby SR or A in sidechain if you would have any unit with cat 280's or 350's.........
Also.....what's problem with DTS dead power supply or????

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-15-2012 06:30 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can connect direct to a mixer, but you need a fairly low input impedance. If it sounds OK then don't worry. If you hear a lot of distortion then add a load resistor, it's been a long time but 2k rings a bell. The "solar cell" is a current generator and requires a load to keep its output voltage below maximum and avoid clipping.
Getting NR and matrix decoding isn't trivial. If you really need film sound for the long haul and don't trust Datasat/DTS any more... there are plenty of used cinema processors flooding the market right now (and a few sellers even have realistic prices).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: