Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Returning to film, need advise (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Returning to film, need advise
Rachael Barbash
Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2012 06:13 PM      Profile for Rachael Barbash   Author's Homepage   Email Rachael Barbash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About two years ago my theatre went fully digital. In two months, for whatever reason, the management decided to book an actual print! Great, awesome. But since then, for obvious reasons, the old staff have all gone their separate ways. I'm the only person still working here who has any 35mm experience so they put me in charge of getting the projectors up and running.

We have one film Strong projector/platter system left in the booth. I've run one reel of a random documentary we had sitting around and, while the bulb was pretty flickery (it's at about 3500 hours), everything else seemed alright. I've convinced the theatre to buy a new bulb which should come next week.

I'm wondering if there's anything I need to be cautious of. Two years ago the projector was working fine but until last week it hadn't been touched since then.

(edit: on a side note, I want to mention how sick I am of reputable studios sending us DVDs of films they want on our 70 foot screen. Then the customers are upset and blame the theatre about the quality of the picture.)

|  IP: Logged

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2012 06:33 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Studios sending DVD's... customers complaining... *management taking it seriously*...

Must not snicker... Trying HARD not to snicker... Oh gawd, we couldn't hope this is a chain, could we?

Oh, we must help this person!

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2012 06:59 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure your oil levels are good.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2012 07:10 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes we do Jim, maybe you could as well instead of snickering at her.

Like Victor said, check the oil levels. Make sure all your rollers are aligned still and are freely spinning. Don't want to scratch the print on the first run through because of a stuck or mis aligned roller. Make sure there are no dings or dents in the film gate/path.

Just a few things to help get ya going, welcome to the forums. (Even if you are from Buck Eye land [Razz] GO BLUE! [Wink] )

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-13-2012 07:49 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were the projectors moved to install the digital? You may need to realign.
Were the lenses properly stored? Clean them.
Is the sound system still properly connected to the projector, aligned and tuned?

And yes, distributors send DVD's and then claim they are interested in quality [fu]

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2012 09:30 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
Yes we do Jim, maybe you could as well instead of snickering at her.
Oh please don't misunderstand! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean that I was snickering at her. Oh far from it!

I was snickering because we've all railed at theatre ownership not taking these things seriously in the past, and now finally someone is! I could hardly believe what I was reading! Yes! Audiences *do* notice this stuff!

It's just so rude to say "I told you so". I'm snickering because mgmt at this fine cinema is taking action to my unbelieving eyes. Hurrah! Go get 'em! Rachael, we are *cheering* for you!

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2012 01:50 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep reading people saying reputable studios are sending out DVDs to theatres to play instead of DCPs, and I'd like to see one example named. Which movies were these are and how far in to their overall run were these DVDs were being sent?

Otherwise, please stop perpetuating this myth.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-14-2012 02:05 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is interesting though - on the topic of studios sending out DVD's with this comment:
quote: Rachael Barbash
on a side note, I want to mention how sick I am of reputable studios sending us DVDs of films they want on our 70 foot screen.
Please fill us in on this since you've got some experience on this one.

I've always get questions like this from patrons if the studios sends out DVD's for d-cinema owners to play...and they have to educate them different, like how we used to educate the public that we simply can't rewind a film back to the beginning being the film is on a platter system.

(Gee, that's beginning to sound ancient..sad..)

-Monte

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-14-2012 07:56 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RE: DVD's

At least in the art film world it is becoming common. I've run full week runs of shows from Sony Picture Classics, Milestone and other indies over the last several years. There's one distrib (I'm not at work and don't want to name it without confirming) who does all its releases DVD. Docs in particular are fewer and fewer available on 35mm and not converted to DCP.

In the rep part of the biz, WB in particular is very stingy about sending out prints and actively encourages DVD.

The Majors may not be sending out first run DVD's but the majors don't control everything.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2012 08:12 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the 35mm has not been moved, start it all up, with the electronics turned on. Let it warm up thoroughly. After you know that the oil levels are good, and all the rollers on the platter are free-moving, start the projector and let it sit there and run for an hour or two. Then, clean clean clean the entire film path, and rollers, guides, etc...

When you get the new lamp, you will have to align it to your lamphouse. In the meantime, if the bulb is clean in your lamphouse, fire it up and allow it to run with the dowser closed for awhile, then see what the image looks like on screen while the projector is still running. DO NOT shine the light beam through the stopped projector lens. It will cook it very fast.

I've typed this fast. Anything else the OP should do??

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2012 09:07 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about running a loop of expendable film (from an old trailer or leader) to check if any damage occurs? Just to make sure.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-14-2012 10:23 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back to the OT, DVD issue: I just got a cold call from a new distrib I've never heard of who wants to show a feature here in January. I asked if it was 35mm and they said, no, only BluRay/DVD. When I explained we are an arthouse they said they were really more interested in commercial theatres.

So, it is happening.

Now, back to getting those 35mm running.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-14-2012 11:50 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This whole DVD/Blu-Ray thing is happening probably due to one thing: The distribs have realized that most people are just fine watching a Blu-Ray projected through a good digital cinema system. It looks "close enough" to the real thing for them. Even a DVD looks amazingly good on our system.

We haven't run any film through our film projector for 2+ years, but every month or so I go up and turn it on and let it run for a while just to keep the gears lubricated. I hadn't turned the bulb on for a few months so the other night I went to turn the bulb on and it would not light. But, the "manual strike" button managed to fire it up.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-14-2012 12:33 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I hadn't turned the bulb on for a few months so the other night I went to turn the bulb on and it would not light. But, the "manual strike" button managed to fire it up.
The capacitors in your rectifier are drying out and losing capacitance. To help prevent that or slow the process down you need to fire up the lamp and let it run for at least 15-30 minutes every few weeks or monthly at the least.

Rachael:

Bruce and Christian have the best suggestions so far. I would add that if you can afford it, a quick service call by a tech to check the "A" chain alignment would be a good idea as well.

Rachael Barbash
Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2012 12:30 PM      Profile for Rachael Barbash   Author's Homepage   Email Rachael Barbash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the input guys!
The sound is still connected and I don't believe the projector has been moved. I know the lights in the house are no longer connected to the cues but I think they're just going to have me do them manually, which isn't a problem.

We are about half art house half mainstream. So we play tons of indie movies and a handful of "classic" films along side with the big studio pictures.

I did run through one reel of this random documentary we have sitting around, I'd like to build the whole thing and run it once the new bulb gets in.

(I'll mention IFC and Magnolia as a couple who might be sending us DVDs...cough)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: