Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Reel 6 of Ted title upside down

Author Topic: Reel 6 of Ted title upside down
Laurie Higgins
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2012 04:19 PM      Profile for Laurie Higgins   Author's Homepage   Email Laurie Higgins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last reel of Ted had the title printed upside down when I built it today. I looked at the frame and the head was facing to the right with the soundtrack on the left but the film title was upside down. Anybody else?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-10-2012 06:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Odds are the leader wasn't cut in the correct spot. Did you verify the first frame of action on the reel was closest to the "3" on the countdown?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-10-2012 08:25 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a used print, I bet the print was broke down on a CHRISTIE MUT and the film was wound with the soundtrack Out intead of In, making the wind emulsion in instead of out making things look goofy to you.

I've seen that SO many times and have to load the reel on the "build" spindle backwards when using a STRONG MUT.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-10-2012 11:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I love how emulsion in vs. out winding is apparently only something that can be done on a Christie MUT.

Monte, you do know that can be done on ANY platter, right? [Wink]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-11-2012 01:12 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most definitely. One 4-plex I worked at with LP-270 platters, we wound soundtrack down (emulsion in) .. I wanted to wind soundtrack up, but was overridden on that technique - it had to go soundtrack down....and it wasn't a Cinemark, but a defunct MANN Theatre..

Thus, on the breakdown, I always make sure the soundtrack was up since the rewind spindle rotated CW (I did sneak though: on breakdown nights, I would wind soundtrack up on the final play of the night to make the breakdown easier .. and taking up on the middle platter so I didn't use any of the MUT's rollers - film fed straight across the deck to the reel.

EDIT: agree - a possible joke.. but as long as it doesn't interfere with the presentation .......

Jason Raftery
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2012 01:14 AM      Profile for Jason Raftery   Email Jason Raftery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Ted" on the tail on reel six of our print of Ted was printed upside down. I don't recall if the head was also upside down or not. Inside joke of some sort, perhaps?

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2012 01:52 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ours was upside down as well. I cut just the title section and spliced it 'upside down'(soundtrack down) so it would read correctly.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-12-2012 08:55 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The earlier film releases that used this title arrangement at the end leads had the feature title upside down.

I did the same above: cut it out and spliced it right side up to read. But gave that practice up for the usage of masking tape and marker to do title, print no. and lens.

(After I realized that this was the topic that the OP began this thread with, I apologize for making my prior comments due to that I couldn't figure out what the OP was trying to come across..until I thought it through...)

Michael Uebler
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2012 09:20 AM      Profile for Michael Uebler   Email Michael Uebler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the film was wound right when i got it but i got so damn many complaints because the entire film had platter sctaches through it. Like i don't know how you can't hear that tick noise near the recieving teir. I still prefer my reel to reel set up with 20 minute change over, keepin things old school on the base of ft. drum NY

Kerry Fleming
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2012 01:33 PM      Profile for Kerry Fleming   Author's Homepage   Email Kerry Fleming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, our "Ted" print R-6 title at end of reel, was also printed up side down. Print quality in general has been much poorer in the past year. Wonder why?

Check out R-3 of "Hit & Run". There is some footage in there during one scene that has several fade up/downs. This too could be a printing error. Wife watched the movie and told me there was no apparent reason for this effect action.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: