Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Anaglyph 3D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Anaglyph 3D
Kirk Futrell
Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2012 04:26 PM      Profile for Kirk Futrell   Author's Homepage   Email Kirk Futrell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does Anaglyph 3D (such as creature from the black lagoon) require a special projection lens?

|  IP: Logged

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2012 04:45 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. Red/Green or Red/Blue requires no special lens. In fact, there is only one image in one frame, so there is nothing to separate short of your own eyes. The glasses simply filter out a different color for each eye. Now, comparing quality is very much another question. No matter how you slice it, anaglyph pales in comparison to over/under or side-by-side even on their worst days.

However, there are even anaglyph *DVDs* that run through any TV or projector that runs regular movies. Just the color filter glasses. I'm looking at my copy of House of Wax right now. Too bad it has unremovable Japanese subtitles.

BTW, the anaglyph of Polar Express 3D was reviewed horribly for it's 3D image by a lot of people, but projected up on an 11 foot screen, I think it actually looks *really* good. (for anaglyph, that is...)

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2012 09:39 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen an anaglyph movie/dvd/Blu Ray that was worth watching. They all suck. Close up anaglyph 3D doesn't work. Kirk I wouldn't waste my money especially since "Creature" is coming out on Blu Ray in polarized 3D this October. Forget anaglyph 3D.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-31-2012 07:24 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen some very good black and white technical photographs. in anaglyph format. Still photographs which you look at for a minute or two seem to work better than films which you watch for an hour or two.

Many anaglyph glasses such as the ones given away with magazines etc. are also often of very poor quality. The colours are often way off, and there are lines and other marks in the surface. They often look like they've been made from coloured packaging film or something; certainly not optical filter quality material.

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2012 10:04 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of anaglyph 3D, here is such an image created from a 1950s black & white stereo slide. One of the problems with anaglyph is that while it's the easiest kind of 3D to distribute, requiring absolutely no special equipment, because of variations in the colors of the image and the red/blue (or red/cyan, or red/green) glasses there almost ALWAYS seems to be ghosting somewhere.

-

I've been curious if anyone knows about this small Southern California production company, but don't want to take this thread OT. If anyone has info, please PM me. Thanks.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-31-2012 10:46 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anaglyph=headache! Louis

Kirk Futrell
Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2012 03:49 PM      Profile for Kirk Futrell   Author's Homepage   Email Kirk Futrell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all. We are thinking of screening an anaglyph 3D print of Creature of the Black Lagoon. I think we are going more for the novelty factor than the quality of presentation. We don't have interlocks or 3D lens and have never shown 3D here (at least not in the 10 years I've been here), so I think pretty much anything would be welcomed as fun, especially if its not something they can see at another theater. I've seen Anaglyph 3D on youtube and such so I know what we're getting into. I even had a copy of RAD RACER on Nintendo that had a 3D mode and came with cyan/red glasses!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-01-2012 04:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is one of the older prints the colour has faded so much that the bluegreen eye is almost noneexistant on the print up here

Kirk Futrell
Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2012 05:25 PM      Profile for Kirk Futrell   Author's Homepage   Email Kirk Futrell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be bad. Its from Universal, I'll have our programmer check the age.

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2012 08:21 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran a print of that movie ("Creature From The Black Lagoon") last October, the print source being Universal. It was print #4, and was made in 2008, so the "colors" were good, though it had some scratching here and there. (By "colors", I'm referring to the red/green imaging for the 3D, which was certainly not faded. It's a b/w movie, though, printed on to color stock to get the anaglyph separation).

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2012 10:19 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Creature From The Black Lagoon was original released in Dual strip polarized 3D. The later anaglyph re-releases sucks.

I have been told that a polarized DCP 3D version (and 3D Bluray) is currently being prepared. If so, it would be worth waiting for.

Kirk Futrell
Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2012 09:19 AM      Profile for Kirk Futrell   Author's Homepage   Email Kirk Futrell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For this creature from the black lagoon print, what do I tell the paper 3D glasses company when I go to order. What colors? And does it matter which eye is which color?

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2012 11:43 AM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since Universal's prints of this are from a faded negative, try to get any red/cyan glasses you can, since the filtration factor is going to be piss-poor anyway. As I recall, it's red/right eye, but double check. YES, it does make a difference... you don't want your audience watching the film in reverse stereo.

And I agree with Mitch... if you run digital and are set up for 3D, just book Universal's new DCP on it. Their shitty anaglyph will look positively ridiculous compared to it.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2012 01:11 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul H. Rayton
It's a b/w movie, though, printed on to color stock to get the anaglyph separation
Just curious- - when it was originally released in the
1950's, was it printed this way (on color stock) too, or
were there simply 'left' & 'right' black & white prints
that were projected through colored filters on the
port windows, as was commonly done with polarized 3D
at that time?

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2012 09:54 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, I was working in the Universal Oklahoma City exchange when CREATURE was released. Yes, two B&W prints, one for each eye.
Much confusion with the film inspectors getting the prints mounted on 5000 ft. setup, instead of the usual 2000 ft. prints.
This enabled the theaters to run the picture with only one stop for reel changes.
After the 3D bookings played out, the prints were broken down to make two copies, remounted on to 2000 ft. reels and run in normal fashion.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: