Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex 35 sound head SH7310 Drive Belt

Author Topic: Simplex 35 sound head SH7310 Drive Belt
Nils Hoover
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2012 04:43 PM      Profile for Nils Hoover   Author's Homepage   Email Nils Hoover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Belt broke, apparently we don't have any spares. It is a simple thing... we just can't get a hold of the part.

It is the drive belt that connects the motor to the soundhead unit.

http://i.imgur.com/B8d69.jpg - belt connects to projector on (now) beltless gear.
http://i.imgur.com/XIyYE.jpg - belt connects to motor bottom left

Can't find the specs in any manuals online, it is 13inches long and half an inch wide with teeth.

Can some one tell me what exactly I need, and if I could a generic drive belt close to it, that I might get at a local store to hold me over? And if that is a bad idea, where I could buy it online.

Our normal film part/equipment distributors aren't open on sundays, will probably just get the right thing from them tomorrow (overnighted for the next day), but if there is any where close that sells the correct part, or something very close (unless that is a really bad idea), we would just drive there to get it so we don't lose another set of shows tomorrow.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-29-2012 04:59 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Odds are it is a standard timing belt, the "generic" number would be 260XL050 (260 teeth .050 pitch) If you call a bearing shop or perhaps Grainger's they should have it as a stock item.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-29-2012 05:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were several different belts used by strong depending on the motor
early ones were not metric pitch
take the remains of the belt to a bearing shop

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-29-2012 05:11 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon is correct, however by looking at the pics the pulleys are the square tooth type and again odds are it is the 260XL050 type in this case.

He is also correct that you should take the remains of the belt to the bearing shop to match it up.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-29-2012 07:29 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VERY few SH7310 heads would have been converted to round tooth belts (we did it but it does not use the same spacer/shim set as late-model 5-star. Odds are, your P-7015 bearings and that sprocket shaft are going to be rather undercut once you pull all the stuff off. Note, the projector and soundhead belts are the same...do yourself a favor and change them both.

Tony is correct on its specs 260XL050. We probably have them in stock if you strike out locally. I say probably where, once upon a time, it would have been deep-stock due to the change in demand on such things...the same goes for the bearings and sprocket shaft.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-03-2012 02:55 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(best get all of that grease and oil up for that stuff loves to eat belts real bad...)

-

I've purchased these belts from McGuire Bearing for less than 8 bucks apiece. I've seen them at Grainger, but not know of the prices.

Oh, for the round tooth variety (for reference sakes):

HTD-670-5M (metric measurements).

These are a bit more spendy.

EDIT: wasn't the 7310, the early 5 star with the solid door, different snubbing action and built in the early 70's?

thx-Monte

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-03-2012 08:15 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you find these off-the-shelf you are very lucky. I still have many. When we went to a very large "drive" supplier, they had every belt except this one; they couldn't order it from stock either. Apparently the length is non standard. They had them made for me, but I had to take a large supply. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: