Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Is your 35mm print of Magic Mike sepia toned?

Author Topic: Is your 35mm print of Magic Mike sepia toned?
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2012 01:25 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First night here with Magic Mike, and had several comments from customers that I needed to "adjust the color and contrast" on the projector. [Roll Eyes] ? Most if not all of the outdoor scenes in the movie looked almost sepia toned, or the colors were muted and had that almost 1970's "super 8 home movies" look to them.

Anybody else experience this? Is it intended to look that way for artistic purposes, or is my print messed up? I first thought I'd lost a diode on the rectifier or my bulb was about to go, but when it changed to indoor scenes it looked just fine.

I asked my concessions girls if it looked that way at the indoor theatres (since they all went together to go see it) , and they just replied ... "We didn't pay any attention to the colors". [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2012 03:32 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 35mm print is the same crap way. It was digitally shot with the Red camera I think...

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2012 04:10 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's Soderbergh's style of shooting... I mean, that's Peter Andrews' style of shooting. We QC'd it on our IMAX digital screen and it looked damn good.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2012 09:38 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our print has this look, too.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-28-2012 10:00 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw briefly the film on a newly installed Digital projector and it looked yellowish, like 35mm prints shown in the same complex.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-28-2012 11:49 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Barry Floyd
"adjust the color and contrast" on the projector.
Gotta love the public's concept of what goes on behind the scenes. DAMN consumer adjustment controls.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2012 02:52 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. ESPECIALLY the sandbar scene... looks like everyone has jaundice. And that weird wave reflection in the camera lens...

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2012 07:31 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
Gotta love the public's concept of what goes on behind the scenes. DAMN consumer adjustment controls.
A few months back I had a broadcast engineer flat-out call me a liar when I told him our DP4K didn't have colour, contrast, and keystone correction like his FLM-series Barcos.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-29-2012 12:45 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Related topic:

How many of you cinema operators get this classic complaint: "There is no sound coming from the surrounds like mine does with my home system.."

First, I ask if it's during a dialog scene and the majority of the answers are, "yes, just during dialog." I then explained that the majority of all films released for the cinema, the dialog track is recorded for center channel only..and not intended for surround playback.

I simply tell them that we were first in this and know how to do sound professionally, making ours the correct way to present sound.

Don't you hate it when home cinema owners love to compare their systems to ours?

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2012 02:03 PM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"There is no sound coming from the surrounds like mine does with my home system.."

Not only did we get a complaint about the colors looking "strange" (I didn't mind it), we got a complaint about no surrounds. I was watching our CP650 and even during some of the scenes with just music playing, it seemed to be about 50/50 that the music was also playing in the surrounds, so they could have been complaining about that.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2012 02:04 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Don't you hate it when home cinema owners love to compare their systems to ours?
No... actually I kind of like it when people like to compare systems and brag about their stuff. When we first joined our church, before bible study class in the mornings, several of the men (usually snotty-ass lawyers and doctors) would stand around the coffee pot and brag about their home theatre systems. "I've got a 42" plasma", Oh yeah... "I've got a 53"3d HDTV", and so on. One day, one of them looked at me and said, "So Barry - Do you have a big screen entertainment system?" "Why yes", I replied - "I have two". "How big are your screens?" "60 feet across and 4 stories tall... any questions?" [fu] [thumbsup]
I win the "screen size comparison every time! [Big Grin]

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2012 12:00 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also- - have you noticed that after the LFOA on each reel and
at the end, after the ratings tag on the last reel, the
"tail pop" is indicated by a one frame picture of a horse.

I saw this on another print once awhile back too.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-02-2012 11:20 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Buck Wilson
looks like everyone has jaundice.
Infective hepatitis due to needle sharing and lots o' sex. Or maybe alcohol-induced type instead... [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: